Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51681 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:38 pm »

This seems more of a "This'll keep you going" thing, than a "This will replace everything" thing. Even though from the sounds of it, it will be able to replace everything. :P So the terms are a little wrong. *shrug*

The difference being that if you WANT to eat a steak, burger, go out on a date, you can without any special preparation.

Which is exactly how it should be.

I'm all for it!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:00:23 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »

Ramens were my example because they're extremely cheap. At 2 meals a day, you can go for 1.50$ (75cents for the big bowl of ramen +water, but well), and I'm not even sure that's the cheapest (though it's probably here).
While the concept is interesting, it's not really because of his price (but that helps).

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:55 pm »

Hrmm, interesting.  Sounds like it could basically be a 'liquid diet' and help a lot of people (and of course we do have those now, this just is more complete). 

I wonder about the microbial activity in his colon though.

In any case, obviously a bunch of folks need to get together and have a soylent party.

Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:31 pm »

Ramens were my example because they're extremely cheap. At 2 meals a day, you can go for 1.50$ (75cents for the big bowl of ramen +water, but well), and I'm not even sure that's the cheapest (though it's probably here).
While the concept is interesting, it's not really because of his price (but that helps).

And... yeah, I'd be wondering where you're at, or if you're using the fancier ramen. Ramen here's about a dime for a pack of the cheap stuff (bit more nowadays, but it's still like $0.12 USD, and a pack is two servings) if you buy it alone and less if you get it in bulk. Water... again, cut out that dime and 60 cent is about 3/4ths of a gallon of water (which runs upper 70s to lower 90s for a gallon of bottled stuff. Tap's cheaper. Looking at about five cent a cup, or another dime added onto the ramen.), which would be enough water for about six packs of ramen if I'm running the numbers right (16 cups/gallon, 2 cups/ramen, 3/4th 8 = 6). 75 cent counting just water and ramen would be something like a 350% increase from what's normal where I'm at. Cooking portion eats up a bit more (though looking into it, not exactly much*). 75 cent would be more in line if you're throwing more stuff in there or using the more expensive stuff, but just ramen and water is considerably less, at least where I'm at.

Maybe if you added in transportation cost, but it's pretty easy to mitigate that into what amounts to nonexistence with non-perishables. Just get a year or so's worth of ramen in one go, or an amount equal to however much the particular foodstuff you're after can stand being stored.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:59:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 12:00:30 am »

I would so totally do this. As soon as its available in the shops and confirmed to not kill people, I'm giving it a shot. I mean I know he's tried it for a month with no issues, but there could always be some obscure vitamin or mineral that causes your head to fall off after 2 months if you're not getting enough of it. I'd like to avoid that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:02 am »

Generally, missing obscure microvitamins/minerals won't kill you. It might have a negative effect of some kind, but you probably aren't at much higher risk of not getting it drinking Soylent than eating food, as it would be obscure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 12:52:22 am »

That, essentially. If it was missing anything critical, you'd almost certainly notice. That aside, hard-line vegans and such already have to use dietary supplements, so it wouldn't exactly be new territory, and if it was only some obscure thing, you could probably add it to the soylent without complicating the preparation much. All that said, I still wouldn't choose to live solely off of soylent if I had the money to do otherwise. The preparation is also a potential problem for people who don't have the time to cook traditional food, but if it took off enough mass production could solve that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:50 am »

With how often I'm lazy to cook a proper meal, I, for one, would love the soylent option.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 01:53:22 am »

The danger of a diet like this is there are probably other nutrients in food that the body requires that we haven't discovered yet, so if you do try a diet like this, eat a meal of real food occasionally so you don't die.

I for one enjoy eating and cooking, so I don't really see the appeal.
Unlikely. Worse comes to worse, rejoice! You have furthered the knowledge of human understanding.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 03:05:21 am »

Yeah, his obsession with chemicals made him miss the point that the cheapers ources of most nutrients are actually not the pure nutrients, but raw natural products (rice for exemple).

anyway, I still registered for the trials, but I'm not expecting much since I'm half a world away. Sure seems interesting though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 03:54:19 am »

Peanuts are all you need. Soylent Brown. High protein and tasty.

And Oats. Oats, peanuts, barbell squats = big strapping lad.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 04:07:27 am »

So how long does it take to prepare all of this compared to cooking?
Any way, I like eating way too much to ever buy into this gimmick.
Also, I do like to experiment with cooking once in a while, try out different seasonings and such..

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 07:13:13 am »

Re: It's possible to eat super cheap anyway.

Another benefit of the soylent option would be to know exactly what you're getting.  There is A LOT of fraud in the food industry today.  You may believe that eating X foods get you Y nutrients, but if what you're buying isn't actually X foods, then that doesn't work.  Even without that issue, avoiding all the unhealthy additives in most food today would also be nice, and easing the strain on your body from processing food could have incredible benefits.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:27:02 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 07:15:55 am »

Although we don't really know what effect easing the absorption of nutrients would have. For all we know it promote cancers. Or prevent it. Or whatever.

I'd love to have a look at his intestinal flora though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 07:25:38 am »

Literally everything on earth both causes and cure cancer, depending on who you ask.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38