Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51731 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #420 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:12 pm »

And yet...

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 22, 2014, 07:38:11 pm »

and yet nothing. I have nothing else to say about it -- guy who knows more about the community than I do and actually makes and eats this stuff is saying that people rarely or ever talk about world hunger. So it's a non issue.

I'm glad I learned more about the composition in the meantime, because it's something I might want to try someday, and it helps with planning that if I do want to give it a whirl.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #422 on: May 22, 2014, 07:39:15 pm »

Alright then, my apologies. I may have overreacted because of how the other thread spiraled into inane bickering.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 22, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »

To be fair, I don't know that much about the community. Based on my understanding, everything I've said is true. If evidence to the contrary comes up, I'll apologize, agree that those guys are fantasizing about Soylent pie in the sky, and move on to continuing to think that it's a reasonable choice for individual consumption in spite of that. In any case, I think we can all agree that there's no need for bickering here, and I'll posit that everyone who's posted thus far is fairly cool.

EDIT: Banana pudding mix is an adequate substitute for actual bananas if you prefer a powder, though the taste is fairly different and you fall back onto relying on trusting the ingredients list. So that may or may not defeat the point of Soylent-y stuff for you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:41:35 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2014, 04:50:19 pm »

So Rob will be appearing on the Colbert Report on Wednesday?

And here it is.  His appearance begins at 15:00.

I'm kinda disappointed.  Rob was really quiet and boring.  He's on a comedy show and didn't even attempt to crack a joke.  I thought they worked this stuff out with the guests on these shows a little bit in advance so they'd at least have something, even if they're not a comic themselves.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:38:08 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 17, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »

Stephen Colbert beat him to the Soylent Green joke of the day. I expected him to make at least one during the interview.

I wish there were orders that didn't start at $85 from the bottom, although I can afford it to try it out. I don't think I could ever fully give up "real" food for Soylent, or even make it the majority of my meals, but I'd like to just give it a try and see what it tastes like. Supposedly it has a very weak taste, which is something that could be corrected with vanilla or cinnamon, or just about anything else that tastes nice.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #426 on: June 23, 2014, 08:26:07 pm »

My cup finally came in, soon moving onto pure-soylent part of experiment (though I'll need to order more, but I want to do it for a few days to make sure it works for me before ordering more... but the orders are backed up for awhile so I'll have to do DIY for a month.. but anyway). Before I start though, time to go get a brisket and cook something good as a farewell-to-flavor party.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2014, 07:42:32 pm »

So, first day: what Soylent tastes like: mmm chalk!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
People describing a chalky texture sure as hell weren't kidding.  Its a bland chalky near-vanilla flavor that sticks with you.  Also, apparently people are having to add a bit of salt due to headaches, added some to mine, will see if anything happens in next few days.

Also the effects of Soylent: Mega Gas.

So far, the modified poor-mans mix I made before tasted better and didn't have an aftertaste (or at least as bad of one), plus it was super high fiber compared to Soylent, but I'll need to wait a few days to do a direct comparison to it.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »

Day 3 of Gas Attack July 2014.  I have doubled the amount of water in Soylent and am sipping it slowly, then burping out the gas slowly, in an attempt to reduce the gas.   Lots and lots of burps.  I have also added in two tablespoons of cinnamon for flavor.  It... slightly helps, but it needs something else.  (also, XBox isn't the only thing that has a red ring of death)

There are reports of probiotics helping the gas as well (I am unsure of this because I instantly have burps even while drinking it slowly), a possibility that rice couscous helps with gas (which would point to more fiber alleviating it a bit), and a possibility that its the excess sulfur content causing it (which I can test with my custom-batch by adding additional sulfur),  a possibility that it was the fish oil which may have been debunked by someone adding said oil to a custom blend and suffering no gas... oh glob its a good thing I only ordered 1 month of this.  Maybe I will manage to fix it soon.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2014, 05:28:17 pm »

I've seen many testimonies that the gas subsides after a week or so.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #430 on: July 03, 2014, 05:15:00 pm »

I certainly hope so.  Last night I made the mistake of chugging the last of the shake in order to finish it before bedtime (and I had gotten thru most of the day with lightly sipping and burping it out).  Bad. Idea.

Also of note: green poo, which (along with other issues) seems to indicate excessive bile / rapid fecal movement.  I also had stomach acid troubles as well. 

Note: if you've got these in your house and yer gonna chug Soylent, may want to use one.

I am trying additional fiber in the shake today, but am now getting light headaches (very minor ones before this with the normal shake, even with salt addition), so I'm drinking yet-more additional water during the day.  Headaches only occur after drinking, not as a normal part of the day / while doing other things.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 03, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »

Does fiber speed up fecal movement? I thought that was why we eat it. Maybe you need to reduce fiber intake, not increasing it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #432 on: July 03, 2014, 07:45:36 pm »

Currently eating rice pilaf, which seems to be lessening the headache.  More fiber didn't really fix the gas, but it was less odorous and bowel movement was a bit easier / less green.

Changing my soylent to half a shake instead of a full one for next few days to text various combinations (I just cant take the full one anymore)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 03, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »

Are you trying to force yourself to eat the full daily packaged amount?  Because that was a very common mistake that it was noted many early testers made, because they thought they had to in order to get all the daily required nutrients (not true).  The result was very similar symptoms to what you're describing.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #434 on: July 03, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »

I got symptoms from any amount taken, but more or less yes.  One thing to cross off: cannot subsist on current mix of soylent only. (I've reports that other mixes do not necessarily have that issue, and I didn't have anywhere near these troubles on my custom mix, which I will try again later by itself over several days to double check).

Note the nutrition: 33% daily values, 3 servings = 1 full shake.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0421/5993/t/4/assets/Complete-Soylent-Nutrition-Facts.pdf?28834

Edit: Side note, headache almost completely gone now after eating much pilaf.

Edit 2: Had craving for a greasy burger (specifically greasy) after that, went and got Bacon + Cheese Whataburger.  Now feel awesome.  Will try partial shake with rice and bacon tomorrow and see what happens (or at least the 1/4th shake I have, and continue testing later with a 1/2 shake).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:22:39 pm by Moghjubar »
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38