Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bins, Love Them Or Hate Them  (Read 2901 times)

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bins, Love Them Or Hate Them
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 07:09:53 am »

If people are having bugs with binned items not being useable in constructions or whatever, try getting the record dwarf to keep more accurate records if you haven't already. I was getting this problem a lot, couldn't build wells because there were no ropes, despite loads of ropes. I think if an item is put in a bin, the record dwarf needs to make a note of it, so other dwarves can find it to use it.

Thats my theory anyway.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 07:53:35 am »

Or the rope is in a bin being used to hoover up more random junk to be stored. That would produce the same error message afaik.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 08:17:48 am »

The problem with them is that they override stockpiles. Say you want automatically sort gobbo armour and masterwork one: you set respective stockpiles but once bins are brought up it all goes to nothing. Every once in a while a masterwork steel breastplate will end up in the bin on a stockpile intended for blind d-b-m'ing. And once something is in a bin it never gets moved to more appropriate pile.

This is my biggest problem with bins: if I have any stockpiles intended to sort out different qualities or materials, allowing bins in them inevitably leads to Urist McOblivious wandering round with a bin filling it up with whatever he likes and sticking it in the wrong stockpile.

My cunning arrangement of stockpiles that enables me to separate and mulch worn clothing breaks completely if I let bins anywhere near it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 09:29:18 am »

'Finished Goods' have the problem that the standard settings throw loads of items into bins that are plain counterproductive to keep in mobile containers - ropes, hives, jugs, nest boxes. If all your jugs are in mixed-items bins and dwarfs use those to hoover up clothes or crafts, your beekeeping industry and rock nut processing will be blocked. In addition, i'm fairly certain that bins left in the depot and set to 'trading' the moment the caravan announces that they're leaving will stay locked up there with the 'T' tag and inaccessible to you until the caravan actually leaves the depot. I make sure to remove the 'trading' tags once i'm done trading and before the traders give their 'embark' message.

I've also taken to splitting up my finished goods piles: there are piles for clothing only and piles for crafts only. Chains, splints, crutches and tools usually aren't allowed in piles at all, to prevent them from getting locked up in hauling. It's a bit annoying that dwarfs really dislike taking stuff out of bins - if stuff got mixed up accidentally, it can take quite a while to unscramble it to the proper separate stockpiles.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »

Used to love them, but I have been slowly moving away from them due to some of the aggravations with them. Especially considering how much more space efficient an auto quantom dumping system is. I still use bins to store vendor trash though. I just consider the hauling update a mixed blessing.

Perhaps an option in the stockpile to tell dwarves that bins/pots/bags in it are not to be moved to pick crap up, but instead bring everything to it like they did in previous versions. Would save a bunch of aggravation in setting up loads of feeder stockpiles to mitigate the new hauling system.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »

With the exception of the "Why is this bloody kobold thong in my masterwork sock bin" bug, a secondary stockpile that doesn't accept bins/barrels feeding the main stockpile that does solves pretty much all the problems with using bins.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]