Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Beat the game, now what?  (Read 5169 times)

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beat the game, now what?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 10:39:57 am »

Update: Year 20 now. Resorted to mass item removal and cleaning to get rid of the thousands and thousands of useless items to restore FPS. Blood splatter DOES hurt FPS. No one should dispute this if they have a significant amount of blood splatter. Dfhack cleaned 4517 contaminants from 2538 items and this is after I let everyone idle out after they did their cleaning jobs already. Removing those 4500 useless splatters and pools of blood allowed me to restore 20% of my FPS and bring it back up to my cap.

I have 1349 creatures in my dead/missing pile, a lot of stray animals slaughtered in the ambushes and a few dwarves, 4. I think. Sarvesh 'Elf-bane' is now 18 years old. Sarvesh is 'strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard' and his sideburns are now very long. He's grown quite a bit in these six years and now has a kill count of 256, with 196 being 'notable', and the other sixty consisting of elvish war beasts like unicorns, bobcats and cougars. The goblins have been getting away because Sarvesh's post is at the borderline of the bridge, his new post will be close to the deepest part of the fortress so we can lock the invaders in and slaughter them all.

Still no sign of that short, fat, ugly elf princess that was spotted in the first elf attacks. The fact the elves have been making biannual attacks instead of yearly attacks, and their numbers rank 100+ every time should eventually draw the royalty back to the battlefield to curb such losses. Then the trap bridge will close and I'll capture elvish royalty for some proper 'payback'. Sarvesh lost his older brother to them.  He died of his injuries, starvation and dehydration not helping, he is buried in a special blue coffin in the crypt. The elvish war continues on though.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »

Zombie elvis is right, you have to do stupid things.

I sympathise with you though as I have done very little other than build the same massive factory every fort.

I have gotten better at making mist generators at least.

I almost opend the hfs once and I died in the zombie regions pretty fast.

I have a tradition of chopping all the trees on all forts.

Maby a fort with no trees.

Not even sure how that would work.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:37 am »

Follow Yahtzee's advice
@
Construct giant golden cock and balls

Yeah, it was actually for Minecraft, but it applies.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 12:46:22 am »

Follow Yahtzee's advice
@

Nah. Shaft of wood, balls of brass.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 07:00:19 am »

Follow Yahtzee's advice
@

Nah. Shaft of wood, balls of brass.
write no greenskins allowed in goblin bones

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 09:25:28 am »

Nah. Shaft of wood, balls of STEEEEEEEL.
Fixed that for you. :P

Make a fortress out of ONLY military dwarves and nobles and have them training 24/7, surviving purely on trades and the hard work of slaves that died many years ago building your fort or were promoted to soldiers.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 05:07:28 pm »

Whenever I get bored, I just make an arena and force dwarves, prisoners and exotic animals to fight to the death.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 09:20:03 pm »

FPS has dropped by 1/6th from my original. Despite cleaning everything, mass dumping and atom smashing it out of existence, no change in population and wiping out all enemies and their gear, I have been unable to restore the FPS. For reasons beyond my control, I'm beginning to worry about reaching year 100 with the fort. If not any fort, simply because the sheer number of enemies and stuff in memory cannot and will not be cleared out despite smashing them out of existence. Memory usage and pathing is not a major concern, but something is going on behind the scenes which I cannot figure out yet.

Minor note though. Sarvesh is EPIC. He now has over 1500 kills to his name. I wonder if I will be able to find out what is going on with this FPS loss despite running a clean and small fort. I've even sealed off unused areas, still FPS continues to fall...

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 07:47:26 pm »

@Adamantine Clowns - do you have lots of animals? what's the jobs list looking like?

also - play masterwork!! it's just awesome, and it's getting even better all the time. i can't play vanilla anymore.  it's like... training wheels =P
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:46 pm »

... Dfhack cleaned 4517 contaminants from 2538 items and this is after I let everyone idle out after they did their cleaning jobs already. Removing those 4500 useless splatters and pools of blood allowed me to restore 20% of my FPS and bring it back up to my cap.

I have 1349 creatures in my dead/missing pile...

DFhack also has a command called 'autodump' with an option for 'destroy.' If you want to snag another few handfuls of FPS back, you could use it to get rid of useless items - dead goblins, severed body parts, unusable single bones, surplus stone, etc. Just make sure you don't have anything important marked for dumping when you use it. "What happened to all the gold ore I was quantum stockpiling?" is not a question you want to have to ask yourself at any point.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 12:00:34 am »

4 animals, butchered the rest. Job list is empty 36 dwarves partying endlessly, 1 legendary guy in the military kills all invaders. Autodump and smashed all the useless junk out of existence, 10000+ items gone and yes FPS did increase some, but FPS is still way beneath cap. At least I can tell when invaders spawn because FPS dips even lower. My fort is tiny. I already hit artifact cap because of revealed tiles, after 7 or so artifacts. So that means my revealed tiles are about 10,000 total and I have the majority of that walled off because I didn't use it anymore, empty garbage, just a map wide clear out of the entire area around the stairwell.

With 2500+ enemies in the kill list and few items on the map, I wonder if something else is bogging down fps? Could that fact that my forty dwarves living here for 30 years be a problem? They have almost no tasks aside from make booze from time to time. I got 6000 drinks and 8000 meals right now, so they party all day and idle the rest of the time.

Pop cap is 40. embark is 2x2, haven't hit caverns. dug 6 levels down is all. No workshops active. Dwarven atom smasher gets all the junk. No temp, no weather, g-fps is 15 btw.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:02:22 am by Adamantine Clowns »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress, one does not simply beat the game.
Indeed. Winning is not the point of the game. It's only the start, and it all comes to an end sooner or later.

I think failing is the part thats FUNny.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

mopstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 02:52:12 pm »

I just do the more normal way of keeping it hard,no traps,no retractable bridges,iron armour at most for military.Military only train by demonstrations,sparring or live combat where the survivors get stronger.This makes it very interesting coping with 10-20 losses per siege.Although I will admit when goblin elite archers come on flying mounts I do panic a bit.

I do dislike watching my favoured dorfs die though. I've had the same commander for 11 years now though,Hes approaching full legendary in combat skills but his spine was damaged when fighting 7 trolls at once,killed them than dragged himself into the medbay and collapsed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »

Sarvesh is legendary +5 but should be more like legendary +20 for slaughtering 1500 enemies by himself. I actually lock him in between an airlock and let him rip the goblins to shreds. When the elves come he seems to be able to slaughter them fast enough that the elvish archers don't shoot many rounds and get bogged down in melee with their terrible weapons. Wearing maximum iron and steel armor and like five shields he is invincible for all intents and purposes. He did die in battle once for some strange reason, but df overloaded anyways, I never got to see what happened actually.

I've been tinkering with 10000 year worlds. One went to the second goblin era and the other dipped into twilight around year 800, but nothing amazing or interesting. Found a vamp with 48000 kills and a few dwarves with 1500+ but the issue of war, I want war with all civs WITH vamps and necros for my next play. Since because the world does not advance or change, I've locked myself into an endless war with the elves. How I wish the world went on after embarking.
Pages: 1 2 [3]