Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Beat the game, now what?  (Read 5170 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beat the game, now what?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 02:19:59 pm »

I would have kept that other world if it didn't have messy cliffs which made figuring out what was going on impossible, a z level change every two tiles on the outside is not great. So I've got a preference to flatter terrain.

You go around saying you've beaten the game, and you haven't even shaved off an offending mountain yet?  Didn't even think to try it before you just left the world completely?  Tsk.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 02:29:09 pm »

There is only one way to beat this game. I will tell you the secret. You gotta have FUN, loads and loads of FUN. So much FUN that you can't put it in your mouth.
Are you having FUN, yet?
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »

What I did when I "won" my first fort was to make a copy of the fort and abandon it (you could also create some FUN instead to lose it) and just made new forts and stuff in challenges, like evil glaciers, no-stuff embarks, "realism" (IE: do nothing that defies logical RL physics) blablabla.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »

Got 7 (scratch that.. 8) artifacts now, one named shield which killed a titan. For some reason my trap room keeps getting opened by dwarfs who bypass the forbidden door. And I absolutely cannot get a war started. I've massacred the elves, the humans stopped showing up after a few slaughters, should they still be in the civilization list or did I actually help wipe them off the face of the world? Might have to check. FPS is at 220 solid still, I had to seal off a few areas to keep the FPS up.  Not sure why either. This fort may last another 10-20 in game years.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 01:56:17 am »

In Dwarf Fortress, one does not simply beat the game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 02:10:47 am »

In Dwarf Fortress, one does not simply beat the game.
Indeed. Winning is not the point of the game. It's only the start, and it all comes to an end sooner or later.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:47 am »

For some reason my trap room keeps getting opened by dwarfs who bypass the forbidden door.

Is it actually Forbidden or just "Tightly Closed?"

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:48 am »

Forbidden AND tightly closed. I don't know if the thieves some how took control of it when they got skewered by spikes and maybe lived a hit after unconscious or something, but its happened twice now. Yay for fun bugs. My genned world has a LOT of beasts in it. Thousands of them, its a pocket world, yet I've only seen one show up so far on this save. I think I might try the masterwork mod.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:38 am »

Yeah, the standard advice is to try Fortress Defence mod, which has now been incorporated into Masterwork by the sounds of it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 07:45:51 am »

Ok now redo all of that but mod dwarves to be blind armless and legless and they can only carry items with their teeth

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »

Doing masterwork mod now. I kept regenning and I haven't found a reanimating terrifying biome in the old one, but I did produce a monster of a pocket region for adventure mode that has some 20000ish titans, megabeasts and such spread out over a 1000 of each cave type or whatever the game would allow. While affecting nothing in Dwarf Fortress mode, adventure mode could be summed up as this, my last lair had 4 dragons, 3 cyclops, 4 bronze colossi and proceeded to come straight for me. Minotaurs in labyrinths cluster in 8-9 groups, I lose to them often enough because they rip me apart. The bronze colossus I couldn't kill or outrun unless I got swept into the river. Not sure if I am ready for adventure mode fun... though I did get 500+ kills on the near helpless humans, but seeing them respawn endlessly when you move off screen far enough did get old after awhile. I thought I could eliminate the populace and keep them gone except for babys. And oh yeah. Last thing, even modding my dwarf, 20000 mega beasts becomes 30,000 quickly due to the birthing and such. Funniest name for a male minotaur child was 'Galka the Rapid Climax' born in the 1st year (started year 2 for adventurer), I just started laughing because I played a Galka in FFXI.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »

You have done a good job. Take a picture of the end credits and mail it to Toady.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 08:03:42 pm »

Ha ha... >.> I never once got the necromancers. Despite waiting for 10 in game years for them, perhaps I need to wait until 100+ years in before starting or figure out a way to keep the fort interesting for that long? Masterwork is initially interesting, even if does have bad FPS when you have all the options. Sieges weren't too frequent either for me. But Jotuns showed up and burned half my map with their fires. Was cool, lost two of my best dwarves in the process.

The whole 'beat the game comment' may have been a bit rude in hindsight, but i just wish i had the dedication of some of the other players here. More and more I find myself genning worlds for their legends alone. I'm going to do one last mega fort to test somethings out. I'll post logs of it or something if it turns out epic. I'll go long enough that my starter dwarves should/will die of old age if they aren't felled by the beasts. Maybe I'll get 100+ creatures in sieges. I want it epic. Ultra epic even.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »

only winner in dwarf is fps death

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 10:48:16 pm »

I got the makings of an EPIC here.

Sarvesh Rilemerith Zirilurem Rimtar or in English Sarvesh Youthful-labors the Fiery Father of Castles is the budding hero of Kurikinod. He is twelve years old, born on the 23rd of Felsite in year 2. He arrived in Kurikinod on the 19th of Limestone in Year 4. The last of the migrants. He comes from a family of farmers, but loves fighting and took joy in the slaughter of his enemies. His father is the fishery worker, Dumed Zuntirlesast and his mother is Asob Usanstukos is a farmer. His older brother is Rakust Ilunuzol also a farmer. Sarvesh has been watching our military from the meeting area for ten years. He appears to be a natural at combat. Single handedly taking down a 19 goblins in an ambush, and rescuing the fortress and avenging the death of Stakud Zuglarnazom our metalsmith who was cut down fetching melt-able goblinite when the ambush began in the corridors. With a flick of the switch the bridge went up and sealed the goblin ambushers in the fortress to prevent their escape. Sarvesh's brutal massacre which followed seems to be just a glimpse of what he could do. I wonder how good he will be when he is fully trained and desensitized to the gore upon which he inflicts.

Minor note, he slaughtered 10 more goblins in an ambush and has grown attached to his iron shield which he inflicts many cruel and unnecessary injuries upon the goblins, literally bashing them to death and breaking their fingers and legs with the shield before striking the final blow. I must train and nurture such awesomeness! Sarvesh shall slaughter the elves in due time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3