Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Beat the game, now what?  (Read 5163 times)

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beat the game, now what?
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:23:27 pm »

I think I just beat the game. Dug out my fort, populated to 300 people running 100 to 80 FPS for most of it except breaching HFS. Conquered HFS, kinda sad that I didn't get credit in legends for the spear trap kills, but those killed by my military are recorded. I found a few bugs with the game in the process. Produced tons of candy, got a few named weapons and some artifacts, king never showed despite meeting requirements. Was hoping some way to help out making it better and fixing things.

Oh and yes, pathing is a major concern for FPS. Even with 300 dwarves running about a small sized fort can suffer no FPS loss when compared to a 50 dwarf fort with a large area dug out. I made a giant dorm room and that seemed to be of a major help then 200 small rooms requiring pathing. All workshops were close together. Few stockpiles and small fort area that took up 4 levels of useful stuff and the rest was a dig through the caverns and into HFS. HFS even without walling it in dropped FPS to 5, going to guess pathing issue nightmares because as soon as they were dead or mostly dead, FPS jumped to 90. Still not 100% sure on that though. Burrows for civies when activated also seem to cut into FPS greatly. Though in all fairness with almost 300 dwarves running around major issues with farming and getting things done exist, even with no restrictions or activities active. Nearly 200 weren't 'idle' and over fifty animals left unbutchered were on top of that mess. Seems anything above 50-80 dwarves is overkill at this point.

Oh and I found I can run my fort indefinitely, without FPS death if I change pop cap to 80 or kill a bunch of my dwarves off... or just enjoy my 90 FPS and 200 dwarves who don't do things yet still aren't listed as idle? Never could get a war with the humans or the elves despite repeatedly wiping out their caravans EVERY time they appeared. FB was a joke, some semi megabeasts were a joke. Had some epic battles, but I really wish sieges and stuff were more common. I killed over the entire population of the world according to the legend, so much so that the game continually created new entries for those that I killed off, they were generated for the sieges and such without histories. Historical figures like goblins and humans and elves that grace my 700+ kill list at year 10. Found that kinda disappointing...

I just wonder what to do now... Not bragging or anything, but just wondering what's the next step in becoming a proper dwarf.  ;D

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Beat the game, now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:32:34 pm »

Give yourself challenges. A whole list of ideas exists on the wiki (click here!) but personally the one I've been having fun with, at least to start, is an empty-wagon embark. Prepare Carefully and take zero items. No food, no tools, no anything. No animals! And if you get past that, build a soap tower. And if you get past that, draft your entire population into the militia and have 80% of them training at any time. Et cetera.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Hatake Kakashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:14:38 pm »

Yeah, well, I think you can go on doing something else for a while now. I guess the game is going to evolve further, and once new stuff gets added, you might want to revisit.

I believe that later, you will be able to dictate the amount of warfare better in the vanilla game than at the moment. I believe there will be things you can do to crank out the heat so to say. As of now, there are dull moments to be had and stuff happens if it happens at random, which might not be an issue if you are willing to start looking for mods that might change that, or like mentioned in the post above, you are willing to self-restrict yourself to more challenging playstyles.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:28:57 pm »

Now do it without using candy for weapons or armor and without tackling the demons via trap tunnel. Do it on an iceberg. An evil ice berg
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:30:55 pm »

I wonder if I should start learning how to mod the game. The evil areas aren't particularly a challenge either unless you do something A grade stupid to make it more difficult like leave the main gate open, have no traps. The challenges sorta fall under this for me, like no picks, no supplies, no skills. While I am sure I could probably survive a terrifying evil area build provided that I have ground water and regular plants to hold out until the first caravan, I'd probably do just fine. But trying to make things impossible isn't my kind of fun, a challenge is a challenge, but how many of us want to go through our day hopping around on one knee and with one arm strapped to your back just to say ' I did it?' It comes across as the definition of stupid to me, but whatever.

Perhaps I could update the wiki or something. I'm not great at coding or anything, but I'd like to help make the game better for more people if I could. Though a megaproject could be interesting or I could just annihilate everyone in adventurer mode now.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:03 am »

I wonder if I should start learning how to mod the game. The evil areas aren't particularly a challenge either unless you do something A grade stupid to make it more difficult like leave the main gate open, have no traps. The challenges sorta fall under this for me, like no picks, no supplies, no skills. While I am sure I could probably survive a terrifying evil area build provided that I have ground water and regular plants to hold out until the first caravan, I'd probably do just fine. But trying to make things impossible isn't my kind of fun, a challenge is a challenge, but how many of us want to go through our day hopping around on one knee and with one arm strapped to your back just to say ' I did it?' It comes across as the definition of stupid to me, but whatever.

While that's a fair viewpoint which I can respect, allow me to offer an opposing one: I consider closed drawbridges during attacks and/or trap-filled corridors to be taking advantage of flaws in the AI and game mechanics (not a judgment of other players, just a personal standard). Always having an open path to the outside with no traps puts yourself on the same level as the goblins/zombies/whatever, it forces you to fight them on even terms (since, for now at least, they simply can't deal with a closed off fortress or a bunch of traps). It's quite fun if you want a challenge. By the same logic I never touch adamantine; it's just too good compared to anything the AI can bring against you. Steel already gives you an edge over iron-wielding goblins, adamantine is just cheating. And no danger rooms, of course, how often do you see legendary goblins - again it just puts you on a level the AI isn't designed to compete with.

Also I think you underestimate evil embarks; sure you can wall off immediately, but what then? Unless you plan to run a self sufficient 7-dwarf fort (possible but boring), you need to get caravans and migrants inside alive at some point, which is a nontrivial challenge. It's not so bad at first, but every dwarf you fail to save adds to the local undead population and makes it harder for the next migrant wave to get to you alive. So the stakes are high: losing a full wave to bad luck/timing can make it nearly impossible for the next wave to get to you alive, and it spirals out of control. Just wait until the goblins show up and start fighting/joining the undead..
Do note that evil areas vary greatly in their challenge, however, some just aren't very evil. You want an area with, at a minimum, either husk-creating clouds or corpses that spontaneously rise as undead, preferably both if you can find it.

Also when dwarves get injured in combat in an evil biome (you're not relying on boring defenses like a corridor full of traps, are you?) you get scenes straight out of a horror movie - I remember when my militia commander was moderately wounded by goblins. As my best military dwarf I didn't want to just write him off, and it was the kind of injury dwarves usually recover from, so I tried to treat him; months later when he succumbed to infection, he instantly rose and killed the doctor. I (thought I was) prepared for this, however, and had him isolated in his own room with another military dwarf on guard duty. Things got hectic at that point, I believe the guard killed both zombies at least once, but he got injured in the process, and they kept rising again. To prevent things spiraling even further out of control, I walled off the room's only entrance - the guard sacrificed himself, struggling to keep the zombies dead long enough for construction to complete. Naturally, the mason walled himself in with them; one injured dwarf lead to four zombies in moments. Corpses that rise are a surprisingly subversive challenge, events inside the safety of your fort that would be routine elsewhere suddenly become dangerous.

I'm not as much a fan of the no item embarks, for me that just delays my fortress development, it's a way to give yourself a difficult first year but once you get past that it's just a normal fortress. I prefer lasting challenges, the no drawbridge/traps restriction and/or a sufficiently deadly evil biome only get harder as stronger sieges and megabeasts start showing up. They're not just handicaps that makes it harder to play the same way you would otherwise, they force you to play very differently, with (imo) a great deal more excitement and Fun.

As a last word, try mods to make things more interesting, the above challenges only get better when you have a different race of invaders showing up every season. There are also mods that add some very interesting non-invader threats, I hear Masterwork has secret dwarf cultists subverting your fortress from within, things like that. In fact a mod on its own might be enough to give you the challenge you're looking for, without any self-imposed restrictions.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:03:01 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:44:26 am »

Are you using drawbridges or a moat? If you manage to have one of those and just keep it closed most of the time, the challenge is mostly nipped in the butt since unless you get a rare flying invader(which is even more inconsequential if you're building underground) you're never at any actual risk. Turtling with loads of traps is an effective strategy that anyone can do, but there's not really much challenge in doing that.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:56:29 am »

I suggest Masterwork Mod (both for better FPS and more things to kill). Especially if you turn on every single Fortress Defence race, your'e gonna have bad time.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:48:02 am by Matoro »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02:40 am »

I suggest Masterwork Mod (both for better FPS and more things to kill). Especially if you turn on every single Fortress Deence race, your'e gonna have bad FUN time.
Corrected that for you.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:31 am »

I think I'll try the masterwork mod after I do a long term evil embark, I dd have some fun when I decided to figure out what a evil dust cloud did to my dwarfs, instant zombie. I did a no item embark as well and foolishly let my dwarfs run into it to see what this evil weather does. For the record, I haven't figured out how draw bridges work yet, so I haven't employed them. Nor do I use a moat. I typically station my military outside at the entranceway, usually 30 or so, and have them train with a separate barracks and food depot nearby. I like to use some traps, not a lot, but I could use some zombie fun. I'll probably let the fort go for a 100 years or so before I get bored of it. I think a zombie dump shoot is in my future. Also... long drops kill zombies, right? Unlike abusing path, I have been trying to limit pathing needs as it is the biggest drain on FPS and my traps are really just a lever over a pit that drops them all to their doom rather than atom smash.

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:48 am »

Not sure if this is evil related, but my evil embark's civilization has a 'freak bridegroom of shadow' for a king. Ironically, the civ is called 'The Sunny Treaties'. I spent the Spring-Fall building my fort out and have already had 3 Thralling clouds come by and enthrall some of the wildlife. Preparing some cage traps, my trade Depot wound up in a terrible spot and I've conscripted everyone to farm and produce crafts for the time being. I dare not go outside the fort during these clouds.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:32 am »

How tall are your walls?  I've heard the clouds are sometimes multiple z-levels tall (up to three or four, I believe, but I could be mis-remembering).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:24 am »

I don't think there are multi-tile creatures as it is. The threes, like in life, are the first life-forms to experience such a bliss.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Adamantine Clowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 01:03:58 pm »

I have no walls. Now I am year 2 of my fort, maxed out my low pop, made 3 artifacts, had only one weird encounter with an ogre who hurt my mechanic and repeatedly throughout a whole season bop him on the head with an alpaca wool sock... literally hundreds of times. Archers came out and shot the ogre to death when I finally noticed the stupidity that was going on. Mass produce so many crafts I don't know what to do with them all. Begun making a goblin snatcher/kobold thief trap room to be operated by a repeater. So much for this evil biome. Avoid the thrall clouds and don't go outside too often (i'm not walled in either), and you can survive all day.  Doesn't appear to contain flux on this map either.

I got a 20 z level garbage chute set up for useless refuse to prevent zombie outbreaks within the fort. At the bottom of the sheer drop is a wall. I'm going to dig out a sizable trap room operated by pressure plate and floor hatches that will do the exact same thing to invaders. I'll probably try to get a war going or to once I hit an underground source of water as nothing of interest is currently going on.

BTW: Its a 4x4 Terrifying biome (no other biome overlaps) and the world had quite a few options to choose from. One of the worlds I genned has these weird tentacle things all over it, but this one seems pretty normal for a terrifying biome. I would have kept that other world if it didn't have messy cliffs which made figuring out what was going on impossible, a z level change every two tiles on the outside is not great. So I've got a preference to flatter terrain. I got the world genned if you want, and one with the embark if you wish. Mod was no aquifer. Didn't feel like that again... probably should have since my water is gone from my embark now.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 01:45:33 pm »

Try a reainmating evil biome. I've played several evil biomes, most were annoying rain. Huskifying clouds can be deadly as well, but nothing is as bad as a reanimating biome. Although, if you're fast enough you can often drag the zombies corpses to refuse chutes, but for that to work you need either a very small fort, or multiple chutes. Although a magma chamber filled with enough weapon traps might be a good way to dispose of the corpses. If they reanimate, the weapon traps kill the flaming zombie, and when they die they burn away. Not sure how well a weapon trap would operate in any amount of magma though...
Pages: [1] 2 3