Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17386 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2013, 09:40:49 pm »

How are they having an instant kill electric floor trap without proving their house is fair?
What I mean is that if you commit yourself to the Combination Lock (ITS COMBINATION LOCK) you are stuck behind 3 layers of Electric Flooring, which have no visible wiring to cut.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2013, 09:54:16 pm »

Pitbulls do not block family pathing. I've seen people put a small army of dogs between their family, and any would be intruder.

I try to put my family so far away that it takes a long time for them to reach the door, hoping that the burglar will have moved on... sometimes they'll kill the wife and kids for no reason. I never do, personally, even if it would be worth an awful lot of money. In a way I see this as a 'lite' version of the moral dilemma presented in Day Z. A world with no rules, you can kill people or aid them. It's harder to be a nice guy in a nasty world, than a nasty guy in a nice one, and there in we start to see the differences in people. It's an amusing commentary on how people act when there are no real consequences beyond the nebulous concepts of 'being nice' and 'being mean'

I don't feel that losing your family should be the end of the game, or else murdering someone's family is a good troll tactic-and no amount of cunning traps could stop them getting to the exit, so anyone committed to the path of dickery could just dance on the porch waiting for the family to show up, murder them, then leave, knowing they've just ended that person's game.

Some people are particularly mercenary, and will be glad when their family is gone as they can make their home even more deadly. Others make a big deal out of trying to protect their loved ones. In my most recent home (a few episodes ahead of my upload, it'll be available eventually on my channel), my wife was killed for no gain, the robber did it then moved on (again). I built a tomb of stone and steel around her corpse, as a lasting monument to my grief... a fitting resting place for the wife of a dwarf!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »

Did you record the entombing bit on video? Speaking of which, when will more of your let's play be uploaded? I really enjoy it.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »

So, some feedback for the dev, given he is reading this forum.

Firstly, what a great concept! Well worth eight dollars I think. Thank you. ;-)

Now a suggestion. Can I suggest that it needs to be a requirement that your family is kept alive? If your family is killed, then you also lose, or something. This alone would nullify the existing super vaults, forcing them to get more creative. It might be necessary to allow for electric doors to count as open squares for their path finding, although I would leave pressure pads to count as blocking the route like currently.

A second suggestion. Some kind of cap on pit bull numbers. It also might still be necessary to let certain items be used multiple times.

Finally, it would be cool if you could choose the name of your character so you can identify yourself more readily to others.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »

How are they having an instant kill electric floor trap without proving their house is fair?
What I mean is that if you commit yourself to the Combination Lock (ITS COMBINATION LOCK) you are stuck behind 3 layers of Electric Flooring, which have no visible wiring to cut.
I'd bring 3 bottles of water to short them if activated.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »

Did you record the entombing bit on video? Speaking of which, when will more of your let's play be uploaded? I really enjoy it.

Yeah, it's all recorded :D Though, because I did get bitten by the bug in the end, I recorded 7 episodes last night >.> It'll be a few days till they're all uploaded, lol...

Though, following a suggestion, I'm going to record a brief video just detailing how the various tiles work, mostly the electronics I imagine. That might go up tonight, and maybe another gameplay video :)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:52 pm »

Ok quite confused about one supervault.
Its a narrow path of electric floors, only a 2x1 gap with electricity blocking the door. If you wait, the power turns on, if you go, the power turns on. HOW is this a fair thing...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:00 am »

Fairly sure I've been in there. You just have to wait longer.

I imagine a Chihuahua is running down a corridor from the onset, steps onto a switch that activates the grate, but keep waiting, as it's still coming. Once it gets to the end of the corridor (I imagine it's a corridor, I don't really know for sure, I've never seen it...) it hits another switch and turns it off.

With things like this, where it's clear that the power was turning on intentionally, you have to remember that whoever designed it had to survive the trap without tools at least once for it to appear in the list of available houses. So with things like that, just wait, or try thinking outside the box. If it's obviously impossible to pass, there's either some trick you've missed, or it's down to time.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2013, 12:32:30 am »

Okay, I just finished uploading a short tutorial that covers how each of the defence items (including the pets) work. It's about 12 minutes long, and probably only of use to those who've not played the game much, or for whom electronics are especially confusing.

It can be found here: How Things Work

At the beginning of the tutorial I log in to find out that I, and my wife, had earned some money. Interestingly enough, my wife earned twice as much money as I did.

Hope it helps :)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2013, 01:15:31 am »

Sigh...
Is the a way to self reset animal things???
Like Every time I go back after someone robbed me, the animals are all ready set in their last spot from when the robber went through. Nothing resets...

EDIT:: NVM it seems that it only happens if you can't AFFORD to rebuild what was damaged during their attempt...

I fell for the darkside. After stumbling into a hefty fortune to the tune of 40k and some arse killing me wife, I decided to build a memorial around her and construct a Combination Safe. Its sad to say I feel but boy is it fun to watch...

Will upload a Pic later of someone's attempt...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:46:35 am by Neyvn »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2013, 01:53:52 am »

OK, here is the best one so far...

Guy comes in. The children were killed by the same dougch that killed my wife, I think he was the one I aquired my fortrune from...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the Wife's Memorial. As you can see, Dwarven in nature, Glass to see in so that all know that some heartless goblin struck her down...

No turning back now, wait is that a DOOR UNDER HIS FEET??!?? Why yes, Yes it is. And the other one is also locked now too...

Trapped, a Simple Lock. I don't think it would really take long to figure out the code tbh. The Wife's Memorial made it hard to make it a bigger code.

After 3mins on the FASTEST DIFFICULTY. He took the wise choice. Take that little Goblin...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2013, 02:02:44 am »

And then I fuck up...

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:23 am »

OK, here is the best one so far...

Guy comes in. The children were killed by the same dougch that killed my wife, I think he was the one I aquired my fortrune from...

Here is the Wife's Memorial. As you can see, Dwarven in nature, Glass to see in so that all know that some heartless goblin struck her down...

No turning back now, wait is that a DOOR UNDER HIS FEET??!?? Why yes, Yes it is. And the other one is also locked now too...

Trapped, a Simple Lock. I don't think it would really take long to figure out the code tbh. The Wife's Memorial made it hard to make it a bigger code.

After 3mins on the FASTEST DIFFICULTY. He took the wise choice. Take that little Goblin...

That is awesome :D

But don't feel bad about dying, I had an amazing setup, then killed myself, like an epic derp. Walked down a corridor, and straight into a pitbull. No fancy corners, nothing, I just walked right into it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2013, 03:30:23 am »

Now a suggestion. Can I suggest that it needs to be a requirement that your family is kept alive? If your family is killed, then you also lose, or something.

Honestly I kinda disagree. The reason you don't want to lose your family is because you lose your family. That is kinda the loss.

As well the lack of real penelty for losing your family also shows the mindset of the game and how it is all about the money to the point where money has taken over everything you would have spent the money on.

It actually improves the game to give the family no purpose other then to have one.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2013, 04:29:02 am »

Now a suggestion. Can I suggest that it needs to be a requirement that your family is kept alive? If your family is killed, then you also lose, or something.

Honestly I kinda disagree. The reason you don't want to lose your family is because you lose your family. That is kinda the loss.

As well the lack of real penelty for losing your family also shows the mindset of the game and how it is all about the money to the point where money has taken over everything you would have spent the money on.

It actually improves the game to give the family no purpose other then to have one.

I honestly couldn't agree more. I don't kill other people's wives, it actually means I don't make as much money, I hurt myself by not doing it in terms of the game mechanics, and I get nothing back for my act of mercy... I don't do it because I don't want others to kill mine, and not because she can escape with half my money, but because she's my wife.

The point to saving your family shouldn't be to avoid some 'game over' screen. The point to saving your family, is because they're your family... or, well, your character's family at any rate. But you know what I mean :P
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17