Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17350 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:13 pm »

Nah, I've almost clicked it a few times already. Perhaps the UI design is making a point, but it could easily be that this game is in alpha and things like that will be made a bit more manageable with future iterations on the design :)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 08:50:17 pm »

I hope so. I mean, it's part of the game to have everything you worked for taken from someone else, but it's even more frustrating when you lose everything to a single careless mistake on your part.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:55 pm »

Well, I kinda figured uploading videos where I explain my traps would result in people getting through them, but I find it quite awesome that after failing to get through my trap, Smokestorm found my vid. Even better that he commented to let me know, it certainly gave me a chuckle.

I feel bad that he must have spent so much money on equipment to burrow all the way to the vault, then went to go buy ladders, then never found my house again. That must have sucked.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 10:06:47 pm »

I bought Real Art by Edmund McMillan from the auction house for slightly under $1,000. Assuming I keep it for long, if you find a house with ass cheeks in the gallery, you know it's mine.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:10 pm »

I'm wondering what mechanics govern whether something remains destroyed or not when burglars leave your house. For example, I just logged on to find my house in a bit of chaos, with walls burned down here and there, but more importantly, the animals are loose, and in their current positions it would be impossible to solve the maze without tools.

In fact, because I don't quite have enough money to rebuild all the walls, it seems as though I may need to put some of the pitbulls outside the maze in order to make it safe again (as there's no way to sell them, that I can see)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 10:16:26 pm »

I'm wondering what mechanics govern whether something remains destroyed or not when burglars leave your house. For example, I just logged on to find my house in a bit of chaos, with walls burned down here and there, but more importantly, the animals are loose, and in their current positions it would be impossible to solve the maze without tools.

In fact, because I don't quite have enough money to rebuild all the walls, it seems as though I may need to put some of the pitbulls outside the maze in order to make it safe again (as there's no way to sell them, that I can see)
From what I've seen, if you have enough money in your vault, damages made by robbers is automatically repaired. If not, it'll stay broken until you manually fix it. Also if the burglar dies, then everything is automatically repaired for free (I think).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »

I just got frustrated with a guy's maze and killed his kids in retaliation. 

I'm a monster.
Shoes...

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:02 pm »

I'm a monster.

You rotter! I'm fairly sure that's why some guy murdered my wife... I have a feeling he was annoyed with my maze, as he waited for her to show up, then shot her, then carried on without even picking anything up off her corpse!

The swine.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:25 pm »

I'm a monster.

You rotter! I'm fairly sure that's why some guy murdered my wife... I have a feeling he was annoyed with my maze, as he waited for her to show up, then shot her, then carried on without even picking anything up off her corpse!

The swine.
Well, killing the spouse is very profitable. So far I've killed every wife I've gotten the chance to and none of the kids. Killing is just business for me.

E: Didn't read the "didn't pick anything up from her corpse" part. Maybe he was just forgetful, or didn't know you had to walk over the body to collect the money. I wonder what happens to the money on the spouse if the killer doesn't pick it up. Does it just go to your vault, or does the next robber have a chance to grab it?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:02 am »

The swine.

Wait, didn't your place have a way to stop people doing the front door shuffle? Or did he do it further/kill the dogs...
By the way, Subscribed to your channel ^_^
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:25 am »

Yes, non-pitbull traps are very complicated to build especially when you consider that your family must have a free path to escape and inactive traps still count as blocking the path.  Lately I've been setting my houses up as a building within a building, and leaving the family free on the open outside area along with maybe a couple pitbulls to discourage dynamic entry.
Shoes...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:27 am »

I can see why everyone uses pitbulls.

Coming up with an actual defense mechanism is really throwing me for a loop.

At this moment I would think to reach for a "Basic Defense Mechanisms" tutorial, but they don't exist yet!

What a bother. Having to actually use my own brain.. Argh.

My first thought was to use a sort of small maze in which a cat is stuck, and you'd have to guide it around inside to trip the locks and whatnot without being able to actually see the cat, but ehh. Seems to be more trouble than it's worth for the adorable gimmick factor.
Well ONE trick would be to alert the "robber" to the way your Trap works by making a small room with windows all around where they can see that a Cat inside will trip a pressure plate when the approach and open the door in front of them, after that you make your dark room...

Gah so tempted to try that now, damn it, want this game so much...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:57 am »

The swine.

Wait, didn't your place have a way to stop people doing the front door shuffle? Or did he do it further/kill the dogs...
By the way, Subscribed to your channel ^_^

It does, yeah, he put the first dog to sleep (or it was dead from a previous robber, I forget) but because he'd done the shuffle, he eventually died in the trap maze... a small consolation for a dead wife :(

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:12 am »

I've seen two combination locks so far, which are totally impenetrable unless you know the code (they have like 10 powered doors and 10 tile-thick walls, so using tools to break through them is impossible). This feels a lot like gaming the systems of the game to me, as part of the experience is the fact that no matter how good your defense is, it will always be thwarted. Although I guess is several different burglars attack the door simultaneously with 8 tools each, they could probably get it done. Anyway, the guys doing this have wracked up dozens of thousands of dollars, and their wealth continues to accumulate.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 01:17:13 am »

Yeah, it seems like the strongest setups right now are ones that involve no puzzle-thinking and just require you to know ahead of time what to do.  That's...  not a lot of fun.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17