Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17332 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 01:30:01 am »

Hey thanks for coming down Jason :)

I'm just wondering would it be possible for us to have a system where your house will fix its self up after each rob so long as you had the money. I only lost my super house because the same guy robbed me about 3 times carrying just blowtorches and explosives each time to get through my walls ( I consider this cheating using several life's in what should be only 1 chance to get at the house as best as you could ) . Because of how much money I had everyone was always trying to rob me so I could never get in my house to fix stuff up :(

Also what do you plan on adding next :D and will it have continual growth and updates sort of like a normal mmo

And think this will be hitting steam or desura at all ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 02:27:01 am »

Well, full credit to Mr Rohrer, I've been trying to put this game down to get some work done for the last couple of hours, but so far it's thwarted every attempt I've made at being productive!

So I figured I'd record some of the hilarious shenanigans that occur as I try to build a trap that both protects my family, and my riches, without it also killing me. I'm mostly successful. Mostly...

I show about 30 minutes of game-play, both trap building and some burglary, as well as show some of the footage of people who tried (and failed, hurrah!) to rob me. If anyone's still unsure whether the game's for them, based on the video in the OP, I hope this helps make up your mind one way or the other as I spend a little more time playing around with the trap system :)

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 03:42:10 am »

I'll be buying this. Looks fun.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 05:03:29 am »

By the way ScriptWolf, I just got done looking over some of my security camera footage while I was away from the computer and my house was being robbed. In the earliest video, someone manages to shoot and kill my dog, in the following video I don't believe it's present (though that could just be that they didn't trigger the door that lets him out). But in the later videos he's there again, without any input from me at all.

Additionally, one person saws a hole into one of my walls, and by the next video, the wall is repaired. So I'm not sure how the repair system works, but it doesn't appear that once something is broken, it just sits like that forever.

More experimentation is needed I think.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 05:50:19 am »

This looks really interesting. Got some trap ideas already.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 05:58:31 am »

Jason, I just popped you an e-mail. I'm Alex Poysky, from GamersGate.

Hit me up if you want to chat at the GDC.

Poysky Productions

Borisoff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:20 am »

Can I buy this game without credit/debit card somehow ?

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 09:36:08 am »

Wow, this game is fantastic! The central concepts are really, really strong. The whole defend your family and wealth while you take from the weak is amazingly compelling in an evil way. You know what the lives of your loved ones are worth? $60, or three pipes.

I've been building a lot of defenses that force you to commit to the robbery, usually a giant line of pitbulls that will be right behind you all along the only correct way through a maze. Worked pretty well until someone came who knew that pitbull corpses block pitbull movement and managed to jam up the maze and win. Great fun.

My only real question is this: is there any way to sell the paintings you get from auctions/robberies? I had one that I bout for $270ish that went up in value to $6000, but I couldn't figure out how to sell it.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:48 am »

Am I the only one who finds the use of pitbulls extremely cheesy? I only use them behind walls to provide a nasty surprise to people who try to carve up my house.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 12:33:46 pm »

I don't like calling things "cheap" but pitbulls are too easy.  I mean yeah, you can use food, but it's possible to set it up so a poisoner will inadvertently make the house impossible on turn 1 for future robbers.

It's really really easy to make a house using nothing but cheap walls and pitbulls where no amount of puzzling and logic will help you (and in fact could work against you with wine in front of me brainfucking)
Shoes...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

anyone else make a choice game trap ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »

Yeah, I find the designs which employ animals to allow someone to cause them to walk over certain features and effectively make the house impenetrable for future invasions pretty frustrating. It is what I'd consider, an exploit, as it seems to run contrary to the 'spirit' of the game's design. Just my opinion of course, as I'm not sure if this is considered just part of the game or not, but it is quite irritating.

Likewise, I dislike just hoards of pitbulls charging at you the moment you enter the game. The maze I used had just two, and yes while that did create a "Oh shit, I can't afford to make a wrong move" sort of chase-scene, a crowbar or some meat will easily solve it, and there aren't so many that any burglar would run out of supplies trying to deal with them. But when you're faced with literally more dogs than you could carry meat for, it's a bit frustrating... and for this reason, whenever I'm carrying guns/crowbars, I make a point of using them to kill the dogs in such designs. They are being abused by evil masters anyway, I consider it the only kind thing I can do; liberating them from such tyranny! Sure, I usually end up out of pocket, but I like to think I'm helping to contribute to their eventual downfall by taking a few of the dogs out of the wave for the next person who comes along.

On an unrelated note, I've discovered that while logged out, your avatar is out working and earns money based on how long you were away :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:41 pm »

Interestingly enough dogs have two eating speeds and trust me dogs can eat insanely fast when they are on a time crunch.

Uhhh... in real life that is.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:55:35 pm by Neonivek »

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:35 pm »

I watched your video Cernunnos and I must say it was entertaining. I'll definitely be looking out for future episodes.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

On an unrelated note, I've discovered that while logged out, your avatar is out working and earns money based on how long you were away :)
I'm pretty sure that's just money collected from robbers who failed and died in your house. You also get their equipment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17