Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread  (Read 17342 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: Castle doctrine - MMO house defense - Dev in thread
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

I disagree. I think it should be a harm-free environment where you can test your traps/prove your house is valid. It sucks spending 10 minutes working on your house, try to test it, and then get eaten by a dog or something, only to find you have to start over from a blank slate.

It should return you to the build stage allowing you to modify the house. Anything else is just tedious and discourages experimentation to some degree.

Part of me wants this, part of me likes the horrible harshness of it. Say what you like about the current system, it makes you get to know you house really well. It can also kill you if you shift a maze to counteract someone having figured it out and you forget that you changed it. I actually like this. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 03:03:25 pm »

If there's one good thing about the pitbull epidemic it's that now everyone brings drugged food and they're losing their power.
Shoes...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 03:16:00 pm »

Same with electric fences people pack water because its cheep.

Shame god damn powered pitfalls are a pain in the arse to configure properly
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2013, 03:21:00 pm »

I enjoyed Cerunnos's video, but his approach gave me an idea:

Putting some pitbulls early on as a way of putting pressure on the robbers is a nice idea. However, with some luck, they can run back to escape, and this being Bay12, this design lacks wanton goriness and cruelty if they can do that.

So, what I propose is a system where, if you decide to enter the maze, there's no turning back, the pit blocks off the exit or you cut it off some other way. Add some fake paths and a couple of pitbulls and it's death or glory MONIES for the burglar.

I recorded much more last night. In one of my more recent designs I use something far more brutal. The victi--I mean, robber, pretty much gets screwed the moment they get into the house.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »

I enjoyed Cerunnos's video, but his approach gave me an idea:

Putting some pitbulls early on as a way of putting pressure on the robbers is a nice idea. However, with some luck, they can run back to escape, and this being Bay12, this design lacks wanton goriness and cruelty if they can do that.

So, what I propose is a system where, if you decide to enter the maze, there's no turning back, the pit blocks off the exit or you cut it off some other way. Add some fake paths and a couple of pitbulls and it's death or glory MONIES for the burglar.
Here is how I set my Traps up. Go one direction and you find it a dead end. Coming back down has the Pitbull appear JUST as you step into the open so unless you very observent you will not see it. Going the other way naturally leads to a Pitbull, doing an entrance dance gets you a Pitbull. Going forward LOCKS said Pitbull behind a door that if you step on it again to open it, lets in said Pitbull. You need to compleate the puzzle to get the safe...

Annoyingly, this is normally ignored as people saw their way past even the most obvious answers and then just stack their place up with Pitbulls. Pitbulls as far as they eye can see...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2013, 05:25:18 pm »

Here he is...
Completely surrounded Entrance, Family no where in sight, dead or alive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He always seems to have the same name too...
Still sounds like a cheat. How can you complete this without tools?

EDIT: never mind, I suck at reading.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2013, 05:29:28 pm »

He's not cheating. The reason his family isn't there is simply that his family is all dead. As for his name, it stays the same because he stays alive.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2013, 06:59:08 pm »

Anyone seen Jonathan Willard Vang's house? I can't tell if it's super defended or not, but there's a dog sitting on the tile you spawn on, obviously moved during a successful robbery. You can't target it and it kills you if you take a step into the house. At the time of posting, Jonathan Willard Vang has $34000, 484 attempts to break in and 254 kills. Heh. That's a lot of people falling for a simple trick. As a genius, it only killed me three times before I worked it out :P.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2013, 07:02:54 pm »

Screen record it and send it in to the developer. Or just don't go there anymore.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »

5 PEOPLE IN A ROW WITH THEIR FRONT DOORS COVERED WITH ELECTRIC FLOORING...
The Dev needs to make it that keeping you Family alive IS A MUST, if they die while your away, you lose....
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:54 pm »

The Dev needs to make it that keeping you Family alive IS A MUST, if they die while your away, you lose....
Who are you to say that? If he felt that way, it would be that way.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 09:10:43 pm »

But its being abused now, unless he added the family only as an temp thing to have and kill off so that you can seal your doorway with an inescapable trap that if you step over it you die...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 09:14:34 pm »

But its being abused now, unless he added the family only as an temp thing to have and kill off so that you can seal your doorway with an inescapable trap that if you step over it you die...
I think it's up to the player to decide whether or not he wants to put forth the extra effort to protect his family. Believe it or not, some people actually put forth measures to protect their children, despite there being no mechanical incentive to do so. Additionally, some people refrain from murdering the spouses of other burglars. Being alone without a family is not abusing the systems of the game. Besides, I could almost just as easily surround my family and the front door with electric fences as I could the door alone. It's not that big of a deal.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2013, 09:22:12 pm »

Being alone without a family is not abusing the systems of the game. Besides, I could almost just as easily surround my family and the front door with electric fences as I could the door alone. It's not that big of a deal.
No you can't, the family needs a path to the door and traps and such block their path to said door...
The Family's AI says, take shortest open path to exit, Wife takes Half Stash...
The Family though is considered so Throw Away, that it makes the point of protecting your home pointless...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:51 pm »

How are they having an instant kill electric floor trap without proving their house is fair?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17