Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: New Pope  (Read 8010 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: New Pope
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2013, 06:40:08 pm »

Hehe, I brought up the Sex scandals with my mother, and she regailed me with a few things about my church.

"My father always said, never trust a priest who isn't maried (Priests can marry in the church, hence my last name actually meaning "Son of the priest"). In The Eastern Orthodox Church, they can only get married ONCE after they take their rites. So they look very hard for a good woman, and then they take very good care of her (women can divorce too.). Because if they don't, it's the life of a monk for them.
Furthermore, a women can get divorced, but only 3 times. Marry, Divorce, Marry, Divorce, Marry, Divorce. Because after that, the Problem is YOU, not your mates.'
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »

The new pope has an... interesting history.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »

That article is horrifically written, I'm not even sure exactly what it is saying about the new pope, other than he's Argentinian and Argentina did terrible things back in the day. Summery?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

What I understood was that he hosted political prisoners of the dictatorship in his holidays home to hide them from a delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2013, 10:39:31 pm »

It's an older article that was raging about Bergolio being a contender for pope because of how he and the Argentinian Church cooperated with a dictatorship that was stealing people away for torture. I bet the author is even less pleased now that Bergolio is pope.

EDIT: Maybe I should've linked a more modern article. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/14/pope-francis-argentina-military-junta
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:42:05 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2013, 10:42:30 pm »

Very late papal movie pun: No country for old popes.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2013, 10:49:52 pm »

But they do have a country.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2013, 11:07:48 pm »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2013, 11:44:16 pm »

But they do have a country.
Old as in former.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:02 am »

Very late contribution to Pope Fiction, but that made me GUFFAW with CHORTLES.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2013, 01:07:05 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franciscan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus <-Jesuit

This pope's choice of names could definitely be worse.

Read of his namesake here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_of_Assisi

Judging from his name alone, this pope may be different. I am nearly entirely lacking in an education in these things; what I know will have come from wikipedia as I have no books on Catholic history. However, judging from the name and what admitably little I know of his order, this is a promising sign from the Catholic church and one that I can support, I think, as long as it is not words and instead actions to give relief to the desperately poor of any creed; my preference being without requiring anything more other than listening to a simple suggestion to do good for others in a person's own way, not and perhaps especially not necessarily Catholic ways even (as to ask them to become Catholic or even Christian is asking something for something in the eyes of many), should they have the opportunity to do so in the future. This I think would be the path I would set the church on were I in his shoes and in return I think non-Catholics would be appreciative. That appreciation, varying from person to person, as of late seem to be somewhat uncommon and, in my opinion, through no fault but the church's; the most publicized reason of which, if you would hear my advice, should be handled in much stricter and secular fashion than previous instances.

That stuff about Argentina is worrying, however, and I hope the issue is entirely out in the open, though if it is not I would rather know the truth of the matter. Certainly it will be difficult to argue against the word of the pope and his institution, though possibly for different reasons than the good RedKing listed.

Very late contribution to Pope Fiction, but that made me GUFFAW with CHORTLES.

Win.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:50:46 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2013, 01:04:16 pm »

Nah, he seems to be a humble man, which means now granted this level of power he is unlikley to use it in any meaningful way. I suspect he was elected by those that want to rule from behind the throne through manipulating him in order to ensure the status quo.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 01:06:35 pm »

He's also a reactionary old goat. Pretty damned conservative. Of course, he would be, otherwise he wouldn't be the pope.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:27 pm »

Technically Penguinofhonor is correct, the pope is full blooded italian, just born in argentina

As for the whole "pope peter" prophecy, this may be far fetched, but I kinda hope he's going to deny the Argentina incident 3 times, a la peter and Jesus, before more evidence shows up and Rome crumbles in some apocalyptic nightmare.

Breaking Pope
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:26 pm »

Another note about the Papal name, one of the Jesuit's founders  was named  Fransicus to. Most important thing he did was visiting Eastern countries to talk to the other religions there.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7