Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shadowrun: The Renraku Arcology  (Read 8265 times)

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shadowrun: The Renraku Arcology
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:58:19 am »

So, to start with I'm going to just say that the following is a concept I may or may not open to Bay12 at large depending on the success of the test games I'm running it through to put it through the paces and decide if it's workable.

To start for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know or isn't sure.

What is Shadowrun?
Shadowrun is a tabletop RPG set in in a future where old word magic and creatures have emerged into an era of advanced technology. If you've wanted to fight a dragon with a retractable chainsaw set into a cybernetic arm then this game gave you that option, and I feel that this sums it up best:

'Magic is no longer just for fairy tales. It’s real. While technology has merged with flesh to challenge the strength of old world sorcery. Now people are more than just people; after an unexplained genetic event, some of them have developed traits that have left them labeled as elves, dwarfs, orks, and trolls. And dragons aren’t just in picture books–they’re very real, and they’re running nations and some of the biggest corporations in the world.

People call it the Sixth World, and it’s not a friendly place. Mega corporations have ruthlessly consolidated power, and they make everyone, from the lowliest sage slave to the most powerful government leader, dance to their tune. Many people sell their lives to these megacorps, believing they have no choice. But there are a few who have the skills, the guts and the nerve to stay independent, finding a way to live in the gray areas of a world not built for them. They can survive–and if they’re real lucky–thrive in the corners and shadows of the world. They’re outlaws, but they’re tolerated by the powers of the world because they’re useful. They are called shadowrunners.'

I really can't give the game a better introduction than that ( Other than fighting dragons with chainsaws, has to be said at some point ). So onto the next.

What is Renraku Arcology?
Renraku ( One of the above mentioned Megacorps ) refers to a campaign setting known as the 'Renraku Arcology Shutdown' the Renraku Arcology is a self-contained shopping mall, factory and city. The ninth largest building in the world and home to over 90,000 employees and their families. The shutdown is an event that refers to an unknown entity taking control of the Arcology's systems and trapping all 90,000 people inside, and this is how it stayed for 2 years as Renraku attempted to reclaim their city. When they were finally able to enter many of the people trapped inside were the result of horrific and bizarre experiments with the survivors numbered at approximately 1,500.

Well, what role does a group play in the Arcology then?
This is why Renraku is one of my favourite settings. The group can be any number of things. Survivors trapped inside that attempt to relinquish control of the Arcology from the entity, the recon team that first opens the doors and uncovers it's horrors, clean-up teams. The setting is a GM's playground for ideas and beautifully written, some of my group's favourite adventures have taken place inside the Arcology.

What's this concept you referred to at the beginning?
This may sound ambitious on my part, but it's a game. I imagine you gathered this already, but I'm referring to a large game by comparison of the tabletop RPGs some may be used to. It's a campaign played by 2-4 seperate groups and segregated games. This is the ambitious part, the actions of one group will affect the campaigns of another/all. The Arcology is a massive building to comfortably house 90,000 people, it's not too far-fetched to assume that there would be more than one team sent in.

So what I mean by this, is that the groups enter the Arcology from different openings around the perimeter and find the inside locked down, as a shutdown will. Controls, circuits, electronics, computers, toying with one may result in a seperate part of the Arcology's systems being effected.

As an example: Group 1 locate a control room near the generators that affect power systems in specific parts of the Arcology, using the controls correctly may result in an area Group 2 are about to head into regains it's power, lights and doors are brought online, this may also result in automated security in that area regaining power. Many combinations in mind but this is the simplest I can bring to mind at this point.

Now, to move on. What makes Renraku's writing quite amazing to experience is that the story is revealed through survivors trapped in various parts of the city communicating through the city's Matrix ( Intranet essentially ) on a BBS board. This also plays a part in the campaign in how the groups communicate. They don't. Or specifically, can't ( May change depending on how the campaign runs ) other than specific terminals that allow them to view and send messages via these BBS boards.

This setup will likely result in about 3 games, for 3 groups of up to 4-5 people with either myself, or several GMs to run things. I've already written a large amount of the material required but it's taking up a lot of time to finish.

This thread is to garner interest for individuals looking to be players, aid in the GMing side ( I think this goes without saying, but .. Please, some experience D: I don't mind teaching, but it's a big thing to take on for someone new to this side of the fence. ), for criticisms, ideas, additional material, and to update this community as things go if you would like to see it happen.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:00:37 am by Bikari »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun: The Renraku Arcology
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:02 am »

What will the actual game format be? Forum posts? or will you be running the game via a third party interface that requires players to all be on at the same time, like role20, openrpg, etc? If so, which one? When will game sessions be? Or is this purely at the theoretical stage and are you just doing an interest check and/or looking for design input?

Kind of need more information than just the setting.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:25:40 am »

I absolutely love your concept. I also am a huge Shadowrun nerd and agree that the Renraku Arcology is one of the best settings. I do however see that having you as the sole GM would create a lot of stress on you and serve as a bottleneck. I am not sure there is an effective solution to it other than assigning a different day to each group and giving yourself a buffer of one day between each. It's a very ambitious project and I laud your efforts for even considering.

I can't commit to the time to play but I wanted to post some contribution:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:27:54 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:46:22 am »

First of all, I want to wish you best of luck on this ambitious endeavor.
Secondly, as i read the background something struck me, but has no relevance to actual game.
The name Renraku.
What is Renrakus main or originally marketed good or service? Considering that Cyberpunk often take inspiration from japanese or chinese and that Renraku in japanese is 'to contact', It wouldn't be strange if the author is making a play on the setting.
A corporation named 'To contact' has lost contact with their property and is attempting to yet again contact it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:00:41 am »

I'd be happy to play and as a frequent GM, I could offer you some (useless) advice.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:04 am »

First of all, I want to wish you best of luck on this ambitious endeavor.
Secondly, as i read the background something struck me, but has no relevance to actual game.
The name Renraku.
What is Renrakus main or originally marketed good or service? Considering that Cyberpunk often take inspiration from japanese or chinese and that Renraku in japanese is 'to contact', It wouldn't be strange if the author is making a play on the setting.
A corporation named 'To contact' has lost contact with their property and is attempting to yet again contact it.

It's a computer corporation so I think "to contact" makes some sense, at least more than Apple does. http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Renraku_Computer_Systems
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Renraku_Arcology

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:26 am »

This is an awesome idea. I'd be up for playing if possible (and if you're GMing). I may could borrow a Shadowrun core book from someone, too.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:47 am »

I'd like to watch this, to get an idea of the way a Shadowrun game goes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:18 am »

I don't know how to play with Shadowrun rules, so I really hope this is going to be simplified/different ruleset...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:20:46 am »

Quickstart rules are free here: http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_187_84&products_id=790

If someone wants more indepth info they are free to digitally read over my shoulder and I will private provide them with a link  ;)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:55:34 am »

Wish I had the ability to play these...
How can I join in the fun...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:04:26 am »

( Been doing a lot of this from my bed because of illness so bare with me :3 and I'll try and answer everything, if I ever miss anything just poke me with a stick )

Likely play the game through a third party in order to ease play as much as possible, times will vary on the groups. At the moment this is in order to flesh out the game, rules, etc.

Considered the load something of this size will have xD already running over a variety of things with a few DM friends to lower the stress involved, the popular answer is that if several groups at once can't be done, or it's too much, I've made sure to keep the material written in such a way that at any point the groups can be seperated into their own games and play the campaign as they would normally without interruption. There are other means but we want to wait until I'm not on enough medication to put down a rhino before trying them properly.

Renraku needs their Arcology returned, they're one of, if not the, leading corporation on databases, computer systems and memory storage. In a world steeped in technology, a different corporation controlling their Arcology, the factory and any contained research will result in prototypes going to a competitor and pushing back their own development. To say the world of the Mega-Corporations is 'cut-throat' would be a severe understatement.

I also feel this should be said now, this game is *not* going to be combat oriented, name of our game is survival. Picking battles, and navigating the city in creative ways to avoid the systems will take priority over what is encountered. Stages of the Campaign will have bits and pieces to cater to as many kinds of players as possible without breaking it too far, combat for the killers, roleplay for the character builders, puzzles and electronics for the inevitability of someone seeing 'Decker' in the books and having a little squee of delight at the concept.

I want to thank everyone for feedback, and will drop in throughout the day and evening to post what I can. Until then I have a fluffy collie, blankets and friend to get back to cause light sensitivity and migraines suck D:

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:17 am »

Great idea! Very ambitious though, be careful. What edition of Shadowrun will you be using for this wonderfulnes? The whole Renraku thing happened during 2nd edition, right? I think they move the year ahead 10 years every edition of shadowrun, and plot stuff along with it. Nothing stopping you using your preferred edition and ignoring their plot stuff though.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:47 am »

This sounds like a really cool idea. I've always wanted to play a game of Shadowrun since I find the world really awesome.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:51:30 am »

Color me partially interested. My only experience with Shadowrun as a setting was the first-person shooter, though.  :P

I'm not new to pen-and-paper rps, but I've never done anything using a third-party interface over the net, so I'd be a bit lost. Plus, not sure if I could work in a time to do it on a regular basis, so that just depends.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.
Pages: [1] 2