Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 456895 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3450 on: January 27, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »

((No I don't know what it says. It was some sort of OOC chatter and I poisoned the popcorn after you tried to use it to feed Africa or something.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: January 27, 2014, 04:49:21 pm »

((Let's see what you can get for differing amounts of RU before we decide anything, because you're not keeping that 25RU one.))

Even if it isn't - and it could well make it take longer to calibrate due to mechanical stresses just from sheer mass - you're still not keeping it. Take it off.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:37 pm »

"It may well take longer to calibrate but it will be more effective for it.
Might i suggest that instead of sitting here complaining about your imagined faults in my creation you go see to building some anti air emplacements to help eliminate any UWM landing parties that penetrate our orbital defenses?
You may not agree with my approach but at least i have contributed something."

((I swear to god if Simus keeps complaining about this instead of readying our defences im going to install an additional 50 RU spinally mounted particle accumulator cannon just to spite her.

I would however like a list of guns and their RU costs
Maybe include a smaller gauss cannon with 2 foot shells instead of 4, A laser/tesla arc electrolaser and The PAC just to see its price.))
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:30:33 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:05 pm »

((I warned you out of character, and you would not listen, only whine that I was threatening you and that I don't have that power over you.

Also, fun facts: For the price of that single cannon with limited ammunition and without capacity to, you know, do anything but be a single giant-ass cannon, we could have: 25 1/8 kiloton nuclear land mines, 8 high-altitude stealth recon drones (with some RU left over), a robot designed by professionals using data from the robot evolutionary snowglobe (the kind Steve intends to use to defend the laser batteries), or (this is where it starts to be conjecture, PW hasn't put a price on them yet, but I can roughly guess) at least 2 squads, composed of 3 Substratum (cybersods) with normal weapons (gauss or laser rifles, or Sibili depending on resource price), a Substratum with a heavy weapon (likely a cutting laser or HEP, or even my own, in PW's words, distressingly cheap grenade launcher), and an Armature (synthflesh commander cybersod).

Now, I will not discuss this further out of character. I have the backing of Steve (good luck getting anything without his support) and, from what I can tell, most of the other players. It is finished. Continue to dig the hole deeper if you will.))

Effective, likely, for a time. But an efficient effectiveness? Not at all. As the resources you used to acquire it were not yours to use as you saw fit, I shall be reclaiming it regardless. Find another option for armament, or keep arguing. You've still more to lose if you do.

And you'll note that I'm not the one that is organizing defenses, I am the one allocating resources in conjunction with the defense planner and in charge of setting up other operations. And I'm still your commander.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:49:05 pm by PyroDesu »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:14 pm »

((I point blank told you right a the start that this was happening. end of story.

Also we have no idea how much the cannon costs, remember i asked for PAC costing 25 RU or less because PACs are at likely 5 times more expensive on comparably sized weapons.))

"ill return this weapon when and if i find an acceptable replacement, Steve is my commander not you so go set up your operations or whatever it is your supposed to be doing. We are done here."
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: January 27, 2014, 07:58:18 pm »

((...shall we just set up a fight in VR to decide the issue and be done with it?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: January 27, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »

Except I am your commander, or have you forgotten that I was placed in command of a team I was to choose for myself, and you were among those I chose. Though that seems to have been in error. Regardless of the wisdom of including you, I have not released you from my command, nor has Steve released you; or me, for that matter. Need I have Steve demonstrate this fact?

As for my other duties, they can be carried out remotely. You, on the other hand, deserve personal attention due to your continual defiance of orders.

And it would be better, if you truly are looking for a replacement weapons package, to remove it now. As you said yourself, "the algorithms used to teach it to walk haven't been running long and removing it during the learning process will cause issues later on due to the altered weight distribution profile especially if it is not replaced immediately." Replacing it immediately is the best solution, then.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:07:08 pm by PyroDesu »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:22 pm »

((No I don't know what it says. It was some sort of OOC chatter and I poisoned the popcorn after you tried to use it to feed Africa or something.))
((Oh, that. How the hell do you poison an infinite quantity of popcorn?))

Except I am your commander, or have you forgotten that I was placed in command of a team I was to choose for myself, and you were among those I chose. Though that seems to have been in error. Regardless of the wisdom of including you, I have not released you from my command, nor has Steve released you; or me, for that matter. Need I have Steve demonstrate this fact?

As for my other duties, they can be carried out remotely. You, on the other hand, deserve personal attention due to your continual defiance of orders.

And it would be better, if you truly are looking for a replacement weapons package, to remove it now. As you said yourself, "the algorithms used to teach it to walk haven't been running long and removing it during the learning process will cause issues later on due to the altered weight distribution profile especially if it is not replaced immediately." Replacing it immediately is the best solution, then.

((Burn! Especially the last bit.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:48 pm »

"I chose to assist you in surveying the pit, you never had the authority to command me to join you or stay with you. Had i refused to join you in the first place you would have been powerless to force me.

As for ignoring orders i beg to differ, i have followed all the orders that steve gave me, alas ye are not he so your attention is unwarranted.

Yes replacing it quickly would be an ideal solution, removing it without an adequate subsitute would not. Why dont you toddle off and find me a nice big laser and tesla coil to swap it out for."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: January 27, 2014, 10:34:25 pm »

((I think Auron can be expected to forget, but Simus really should have remembered, that unless there's an actual wetware CPU in there, neural-net education is just a lot of code.

And we have better ways of making, and debugging code.

Put Anton in the loop, and he'll have VR-proofed walk, run, and climb patterns for a generic hexapod, adjustable for mass distribution and leg loss, by the end of the day tops. If nothing else, by having three thousand of the things run about simultaneously, as a sort of cloud computer.

Also, those ship overhauls still need Simus' approval.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: January 27, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »

Simus messages Steve:
Quote from: Simus>Steve
Please inform Auron that yes indeed, I am in command of him for the time being. Don't spare the shock implant if you feel like it.

((And thus our argument will end with a lesson on why you don't ignore the chain of command, as delivered by the GM's in-character persona. It will be a shocking discovery for Auron, I think.

And Simus has no major issues with the base platform (apart from how it was built - using materials designated not for use, and just a general dislike for that sort of thing), or at least, she didn't. Since Auron persisted, I may dismantle it as well and see about repurposing its materials (not originally procured with RU, but we might be able to liquidate it into some).))

More messaging, this time to Anton:
Quote from: Simus>Anton
About the warheads, have they been tested (in VR, of course)? What makes a kinetic amp-boosted charge superior to the traditional fusion-type warheads? It's certainly more expensive, is there any way to properly justify that?

As for ship overhauls, I would think twice about your plans for refitting the blackship-esque one into a giant plasma cannon - I would like you to test that as well, is it worth the resources sunk into it for what return we get out of it?

As for the others, I see few issues. One that sticks at me is how, exactly, is that modified hauler, modified? I can see their use as mobile light air support, just wondering as to what, exactly, is different about that one?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:50:28 pm by PyroDesu »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: January 27, 2014, 10:50:45 pm »

Simus messages Steve:
Quote from: Simus>Steve
Please inform Auron that yes indeed, I am in command of him for the time being. Don't spare the shock implant if you feel like it.
Make sure the GM notices this rather important message.
No reason to risk it, neh?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:17 pm »

((We certainly do need that OOC thread. When IC arguments are accompanied by OOC ones it really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. :())
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: January 27, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »

More messaging, this time to Anton:
Quote from: Simus>Anton
About the warheads, have they been tested (in VR, of course)? What makes a kinetic amp-boosted charge superior to the traditional fusion-type warheads? It's certainly more expensive, is there any way to properly justify that?

As for ship overhauls, I would think twice about your plans for refitting the blackship-esque one into a giant plasma cannon - I would like you to test that as well, is it worth the resources sunk into it for what return we get out of it?

As for the others, I see few issues. One that sticks at me is how, exactly, is that modified hauler, modified? I can see their use as mobile light air support, just wondering as to what, exactly, is different about that one?

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to XO Simus
The way I see it, a kinetic amp boosted warhead offers several advantages. The primary one, the one it was chosen for, is that it uses no polluting elements in its construction - without a fission bomb acting as an initiator, the device ends up with a pure fusion burn, giving maximum power with minimum long-term damage that we'd have to clean up later. Another factor is that the resulting warhead is more compact and lightweight than a fission-initiated one, yet with similar capacity for destructive power. But that is really secondary.

And yes, they've been VR-tested, though I can't say I'll mind testing them again. I have plans to make the warheads dial-a-yield, so that the shooter can choose how much destructive power to release.

For the Black Death, well... yes and no. As in, yes I think we'd get a good use out of the ship for the resource expenditure involved, but no I don't think that we'd get much of a "return" if we do end up needing to use it. The ship as-is, is not made to be a battlefield fighter. It's made to do a single run, to fly out and destroy something so bad and threatening that we'd risk all this hardware to do it, and by that point the situation is likely bad enough that the costs of the ship are a non-issue. It's a glass cannon, literally a flying six-shooter. Having it is like having a fire extinguisher. You spend the money to get the best one, and then you mount it on the wall and dearly hope to never have to use it.

Whether the resource expenditure is worth it is a good question indeed. I'm of the mindset that I'd really rather have it and not have to use it, than really have to use it, and not have it. I'll stage some VR tests against potential threats to see what we can expect to be able to defeat with it.

As for the rest... well, the modified hauler seems to have been some techs' off-time project to make one of these shuttles Jump-capable. They didn't quite get there, but assuming it survives the ordeal that is to come, outfitting it properly should be easy enough. I'm sure we'll have need of Jump-capable ships, either here or with the Sword.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:34 pm »

((I like that blackship/fire extinguisher metaphor.))
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 243