Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 455773 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #1815 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:42 pm »

((They have activated a Mass Murder Manipulator. No one is safe. Steve may have to sterilize the area to end the effect. Honestly, right now, I'd rather be on that roof than there.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:47 pm »

((Piecewise: how fast is the effect spreading?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:06 pm »

((Multiple Mass Murder manipulators...

Yeah, I think I prefer our mission at the moment too.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:14 pm »

Modification to prior action: RUN. FUCKING RUN. unless of course the sphere is expanding fast enough that I can't outrun it. Then go join team anti-freeze. Either way, more paperwork. THE PAPERWORK MUST FLOW!
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:30 pm »

Modification to prior action: RUN. FUCKING RUN. unless of course the sphere is expanding fast enough that I can't outrun it. Then go join team anti-freeze. Either way, more paperwork. THE PAPERWORK MUST FLOW!
Yep. Run away, radio to Steve to come pick us up right the fuck now, if effect is expanding too quickly to outrun have every person with an amp/manipulator try to maintain the temperature around the team. Gather the team together in a huddle for this purpose IF we have to endure.
Sig! Onol

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:24 pm »

((As mentioned before, running is the team's best option. If the survival of all teammates is desirable, then Feyri (MkIII) and Faith (synth-flesh) should carry all hobbling or slow people away from the freezing zone.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 20, 2013, 10:41:50 pm »

((As mentioned before, running is the team's best option. If the survival of all teammates is desirable, then Feyri (MkIII) and Faith (synth-flesh) should carry all hobbling or slow people away from the freezing zone.))
((Yes please. IIRC I only have one leg now.))
Sig! Onol

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:29 am »

... On the bright side, I didn't just run into that blind. On the downside... Fuck.
If I lose this scout's eye, whoever is responsible for that is buying me a new one...

TURN TAIL AND RUN! Past the barracks if I think necessary. Attempt to recall the scout eye if possible!

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 21, 2013, 06:03:54 am »

((We will start using manipulators as bombs. And they are more effective.))

Renen remembers his first mission, the overcharge of that manipulator. So he runs, away from the cold and from the crazy people that will try to stop it.

RUN FAST RUN RENEN. Get away from the cold and from the guys who will try to stop the incoming destruction. Use BT to overcome obstacles and if necessary carry anyone small and lightweight with me.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:12 am »

((You know, I thought WE were boned. Thanks for correcting me.))
((Well, now that everyone abandoned planns for a heat shield :(, punching/throwing the nuke in :(, and trying to overclock their amps/manipulators to combat the super-freeze :( :(... they are actually in a better shape than we are. There is nothing to suggest that they can't simply outrun the effect, and indeed they are doing just that.
Meanwhile, at Canary base, we are about to lose our base, which is actually very helpful to have. And in addition, we still have several morons in the base and on it's roof, who are apparently going nowhere. You know, I think that overall we are much worse off. Of course, not that Vich is concerned. He is faaaar away from whatever is about to happen.))
((Remind me to catch up on that mission.))

((Oh, and I PM'd Tiruin. Anyone else not posting that needs to run?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:54 am »

((Get PMs. Check thread title. Begin pounding fists in anger.

NOT AGAIN DAMN YOU ALL

Anyway, I would strongly advise against trying to outheat the Ice-9. As mentioned, any device you throw at it is likely to freeze past the point of operation, meaning you're talking about a second sun or nuclear blast between us and the freezewall of doom.

We do not have space for a second sun or nuclear blast between us and the freezewall of doom.))
((...Yes. This.

So much. Enjoy me berating you, or your corpses. Or my spirit doing that. Whatever. :III

I really have some thoughts about how this mission was expected to be run, but it's a secret. PW: you don't mind, do you?))

((@Paris: I was imagining that scene when I read recent events. Please tell me that an Aux roll does not precede common sense...))

Feyri reviewed the messages in reply, followed by her order to acknowledge recent activity. The result was less than satisfying, and the consequence in the aspect of thought was...destructive.

I was on guard duty with Renen, after dark we stopped some suspicious characters approaching. After some... incompetence we got them to the barracks and checked out....something in the town exploded.
Explosions in the town..alright. It's only a day or so in the job. I can't hope that we're the only ones going to respond on it. The city may have local militant forces on patrol despite heightened crisis of a revolution. Nothing much. Give the order to

...Oh right, another message. Ringtone set.
                                                              Clock isn't working though...
We ran into some suspicious looking guys. They ran, and I chased after one of them. I was going to shoot one in the leg when he was about to get away, when everything exploded and half of his skin melted. So I left.
Unidentified men showed up at the gate. They had large suspicious backpacks. A detonation occurred somewhere...I'm retrieving my turret right now from the bakery.
Wait..what? Several attacks..alright, Xan must've been with Stacy and/or May when they went on patrol. I didn't see them go. Ugh, why can't I lead properly. This is one of the most basic essentials of leadership--organizing your people! Guessing this may be the case, either they formed teams of two and spread throughout the city. Hopefully the other security forces would also aid us. Strangely, I've never even seen one hint of them. Or did I forget something?
I was patrolling when half my foot got shot off by an unknown assailant... but my amp triggered.

You saw the results.
Results?! What now? What amp did you--checking...
   Codename: Xan/Biologically Male
     Primary Weapon: Pyrokinetic Amplifier [Basic]

Ok, what does this mean. Pyro kinetic? I didn't see that on the team roster.

...What in blazes is going on?!

At this time, she had reached the gate and noticed Grate's query, nearly indistinguishable from her thoughts and the presence of Lyra. It was...alright, to say the least. The motor was apparently functional, and Lyra was alright.

Then another ping.

...I never knew there was a Spam folder. Or if this wristpad had a folder at all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...Dear gods. So it was OUR fault?!...
Stacy's taking it quite well..but now how will the populace react? Surely..surely they can't see that it's our fault right? Amplifiers? The whole thing is alien to-...but then they asked Steve for our measurements...so I can't presume such.
   ...Since when did any of my teammembers get a NUCLEAR DEVICE?!

No. Not again. I will not let my past haunt me again. I will lead this team correctly even if it <profanity>ing kills me and-
"Feyri! They're coming! Look! Look!"
"Guh-g-Grate? I'm sorry I was just t-
"What in the nine hells is that."

*Krrsch*
"Hey, guys, funny thing just happened - I accidentally set one of the parameters for a temperature manipulation as the length of the stairs. You may want to run like hell, people!"
"I'm sorry Grate, but when--what just happened?"
"Miss Feyri! Now! NOW! RUN!"

Run. If Tiruin shows up and posts a running-based action, follow Ms. Feyri. If she does but doesn't post a running action, run after as many of the other members of the team as possible. If Tiruin doesn't post, do the same but drag Ms. Feyri along.

-This is all Stacy's fault.-
You run up to the gate and enter in the rather massive proportions of the effected area... You just start entering in what looks right, sweat dripping from your brow as the numbers fly by too fast for you to even comprehend... You hit the button without even thinking about it. The Manipulator beeps, squeals and then begins to howl out a siren. The metal surface of the box instantly freezes over and you hurl it away from you as the suit begins to freeze and you feel your hand go numb. The machine arcs out down the stairs; trailing a dry ice like fog behind it. It lands between the charging groups of the Guards and the Populace, vanishing amongst them as they clash.

The Manipulator, hidden by the crowd, cracks apart like a balloon filled with liquid nitrogen and pure, unadulterated cold pours out. It's beyond cold as the team comprehends it; it's a black nuke, an expanding mass of anti-energy that draws in every bit of energy from around it. The mob and the guards vanish into a black point so cold that light itself can't move; a gravity-less black hole. Around it, the world turns gray and hardens; reduced so close to absolute zero that it appears as though time within the effected area has just stopped, atomic motion reduced to basically nothing. The hydrogen in the air turns metallic. Beyond that, almost to the wall, the air solidifies and sprays of superfluid hydrogen and liquid oxygen and ice with a crystal lattice so dense and powerfully bonded that it would take thermite to melt it, burst out and splatter the wall and the inner area of the First level of the palace.

And the effect is expanding.

"Oh fu-...Fun."

Feyri's right eyelid twitched. A result due to stress.

"Grate, hug me as tight as you can, please?"

While waiting, Feyri thanked the time she invested into rapid, one-handed typing and implemented her knowledge in ludicrous amounts on her wristpad.
Quote from: Feyri Nirel = PARACELSUS SWORD AI
This is Feyri Nirel, current leader of the second away team sent down to Inti. The mission as far as I can see is under severe strain. The palace is under direct endothermic attack, and we're heavily lacking aerial support.

We need eyes, Steve.

Inquire @ PW for map. Hopefully with places representing where we are.

Use MKIII rockets to get myself, Grate and possibly Lyra towards a safer location--drop off, and locate my teammates nearest to the zone of influence from this nuke and use the same strategy.

Which revolves around getting everyone to safety.

Also check fuel.

Quote from: Feyri Nirel = Squad Channel
Activate your wristpads for a general area receiving message so we know where you are!

Anyone with auxiliary mobility enhancements, use them! Head towards the Palace!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:06:18 pm by Tiruin »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1826 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:51 am »

((I amr eading up the last 10 pages and writing up a response and will edit in in.

Specifically to Grate.))
((I'd recommend focusing on running away. Flying away with the MK3 and taking anyone nearby you can carry with you.

Edit: If you think about it, that MK3 was the best gift you could have hoped for. Might just end up saving your life.))
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:47:40 am by Parisbre56 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:47 am »

((A map would be useful here.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 21, 2013, 12:42:33 pm »

((BUENO, Tiruin. BUENO. Now we have to survive this.))
Sig! Onol

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 21, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »

((... Dat formatting. I want to learn that *0* also hurray for possibly not dieing!))
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 243