Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 455921 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #1785 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:15 pm »

((Fusion, perhaps? H-bombs exist now.))

((What's the point of adding another stage to a device that's meant to explode as an equivalent of 125 tons of TNT? Most fission weapons can get 20 kilotons easily already.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:56 pm »

((Fission? What is this, the 20th century?))
((And how else would it work? As far as I'm concerned, a nuke works by joining two or more halves or uranium together, at which point it goes boom. You think it works any different in the future?
Pyrodesu would be very helpful here.))
((And that is supposed to tell me something?))

((Do we even know if it would counter that entropy bomb we just set off?))
((Nope. In all likelihood, it actually won't. The nuke and the detonator will freeze before they explode.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 20, 2013, 02:34:07 pm »

((I meant assuming we set it off right outside and generated a small star inside of the field via manipulator and amp usage, would it actually do shit?))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:37 pm »

((Nope. In all likelihood, it actually won't. The nuke and the detonator will freeze before they explode.))

((Unless you do the airburst - this is unlikely to help much in any event, but hey - might give people time to run like hell and scatter to the winds.))

((I meant assuming we set it off right outside and generated a small star inside of the field via manipulator and amp usage, would it actually do shit?))

((The star probably would help at least a very notable amount, I would think. That is, if it actually forms a star, and doesn't react as unpredictably as I have heard overloads to react.))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:37:14 pm by Harry Baldman »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 20, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »

((Would something that can take out anything short of a battle suit be useful in this situation? Because Charles's magazine can do that.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 20, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »

((Let me get this straight. You've got an expanding cloud of Crazy-Freez advancing on your position, and your first reaction is to chuck a nuke at it? Quick sanity check: which is going to do more damage? The Crazy-Freez, which will likely taper off in a minute or two when the mass murder manipulator runs out of battery, leaving most of the city superfrozen but technically intact? Or a nuke, which will in all likelihood level it, and do nothing to help you?

I don't think that even a dormant volcano exploding under your feet this instant would heat your surroundings up enough to counteract this chillin' omnicide-o-matic. Have any of you considered just, y'know, getting the hell out of dodge?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 20, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »

((Probably not.  Once you try to combine this incident with a fire-based one or a nuke, physics is really taking a beating.

Also, what he said.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 20, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »

((Let me get this straight. You've got an expanding cloud of Crazy-Freez advancing on your position, and your first reaction is to chuck a nuke at it? Quick sanity check: which is going to do more damage? The Crazy-Freez, which will likely taper off in a minute or two when the mass murder manipulator runs out of battery, leaving most of the city superfrozen but technically intact? Or a nuke, which will in all likelihood level it, and do nothing to help you?

I don't think that even a dormant volcano exploding under your feet this instant would heat your surroundings up enough to counteract this chillin' omnicide-o-matic. Have any of you considered just, y'know, getting the hell out of dodge?))
((A good number of people are running right now. And shh, don't spoil this.))

((I think I'm going to stop giving you helpfull advice now. I already made this a lot less Fun. Already managed to stop somebody from throwing a nuke. :-[))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 20, 2013, 02:42:14 pm »

((While a nuke may be useful if it was a massive supernatural cold-front, this isn't. It's more like a physical manifestation of concept of coldness itself. Perhaps we could outrun it and wait for it to run out of power?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 20, 2013, 02:47:41 pm »

((Let me get this straight. You've got an expanding cloud of Crazy-Freez advancing on your position, and your first reaction is to chuck a nuke at it? Quick sanity check: which is going to do more damage? The Crazy-Freez, which will likely taper off in a minute or two when the mass murder manipulator runs out of battery, leaving most of the city superfrozen but technically intact? Or a nuke, which will in all likelihood level it, and do nothing to help you?))

((The mass-murder manipulator might stop, but not because it's out of batteries. The batteries power the interface. The manipulator has cracked open, exposing the eldritch mysteries within to all unlucky enough to happen to be within 20 feet of where it landed. As such, it might not stop at all. Ever. It's only experience with the opposite phenomenon (and possibly misplaced faith in the idea that piecewise might have mercy on us) that makes us think it might.))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:58:03 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 20, 2013, 02:51:49 pm »

((Do we even know if it would counter that entropy bomb we just set off?))
((The what?))

((Fission? What is this, the 20th century?))
((And how else would it work? As far as I'm concerned, a nuke works by joining two or more halves or uranium together, at which point it goes boom. You think it works any different in the future?
Pyrodesu would be very helpful here.))
((And that is supposed to tell me something?))
((...That fusion weapons exist?))

((Have any of you considered just, y'know, getting the hell out of dodge?))
Grate feels an odd urge to raise his hand. He really wishes he knew where to go.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 20, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

Grate feels an odd urge to raise his hand. He really wishes he knew where to go.

((Step one: pull Feyri outside.
Step two: grab onto Feyri.
Step three: punch Feyri feebly until she flies away with you to a happier place.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 20, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »

((Once again the Mass-Murder Manipulator triumphs over the humble Amp's own display of murderous power. As a veteran of...Two? Two mass-murder manipulator occurrences, I advise you to run away as fast as possible.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1798 on: August 20, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »

((Once again the Mass-Murder Manipulator triumphs over the humble Amp's own display of murderous power. As a veteran of...Two? Two mass-murder manipulator occurrences, I advise you to run away as fast as possible.))
You know, no one as overloaded an amp yet. It's always been manipulators. The effects may be different. And much more fatal, since you can't throw them away.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:08 pm »

You know, no one as overloaded an amp yet. It's always been manipulators. The effects may be different. And much more fatal, since you can't throw them away.
((Throwing supercritical mass murder manipulators away has rarely done much to curb their mass murder potential, I think.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 243