Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 455654 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile

((I guess I was saying that you shouldn't expect tactics and intelligent behaviour from a defense mechanism. Then again, I I've never been in the mind of a ghost ship, so I'm probably wrong.))
((At some point, if it doesn't have those, it is not a good defense mechanism. Those blobs may be really stupid, but that only shows that something else smarter/stronger exists. If you leave something running on the fringes of the universe for hundreds of years, you better have a proper defense mechanism.

I think we're coming at these from different perspectives. You're trying to determine what it is that we encounter, while I'm trying to determine what I would want something to be if I was making it.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

((As far as I'm concerned, I'm assuming that the blobs are at best the first line of defense. And if we're unlucky, the second line of defense is nuke everything in a few parsecs.))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

The team relocates over to the Syringe blimp as the last of Maurice's illusions vanish. The area they used to occupy is now swarmed with hundreds of the blobs. Something seems to be happening over there as well. Something the team more feels then sees. It's like there's a great pressure pushing outward from that area; a blast wave that just keeps coming.

((Yeah, I am suspicious and worried. I've been trying to think of a way to get us to disappear off the ship's radar, but I'm not sure.

GM: What happens when the blobs hit the illusions/copies created by Maurice?))

So far I've assumed that the illusions vanish before anything touches them. However, if you want to let them touch an illusion just to see what happens, thats ok too.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Shit. Taking cover inside the hard memory or taking distance from the wave seem to be our best options."

Quickly check if the blast wave is hitting us already and if it comes in pulses to create such pressure, estimate how far-reaching it is.

(The answer for the bold part will help decide how to react to this development.)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile

((If you're making hundreds of illusions, I don't think it's quite possible to disappear them all before the blobs touch them. One way or another it will happen. So I say go for the touching choice, however bad I feel for Maurice.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So far I've assumed that the illusions vanish before anything touches them. However, if you want to let them touch an illusion just to see what happens, thats ok too.
((Leave things as they were (disappearing before being touched). I thought they were being poked by the blobs and poofing when it happened.

Although I guess Nikitian is the one who would answer this question.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

(( If they are poofed before they are probed, not after, all the better. I'd suppose it were an integrated feauture of the illusions, but even if it is manually controlled, if I knew I could poof them before they are probed, I'd all go for it, even if that would mean fewer illusions.
For all I know, despite having alerted the defence mechanisms, we are still undiscovered, and I'd rather let it be that way for as long as possible. ))
Damnation.
What makes you think the pressure wouldn't permeate the hard memory as well? Still, with the time and forces at their disposal, I'd just guard the hard memories while encircling the invaded area and then slowly tightening the ring around us.
Another tactic, given the immense amp power of the Ghostship could be simply to hold the hard memories secure and then just wipe and cleanse the rest of the area... shit.
You are right. We have to get in. Better pressure and blobs than area bleach.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

"Shit. Taking cover inside the hard memory or taking distance from the wave seem to be our best options."

Quickly check if the blast wave is hitting us already and if it comes in pulses to create such pressure, estimate how far-reaching it is.

(The answer for the bold part will help decide how to react to this development.)
It's less a blast wave and more a continuous pressure pushing on you. Like being in a wind tunnel. And it's hard to say how far reaching it is, since there's no visual to go with it. There's just pressure.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

Having a further thought on the topic, Maurice added:
So, are we going to counteract the pressure in any way, or simply resist and endure? Also, shall I once more spawn illusions to distract them while we get inside?
Unless given orders to do otherwise, spam illusions some more and then spearhead the assault on the syringe.

Spoiler: Quotes (click to show/hide)
(( So, here is the list, complete with the apparent original owner of the memory:
1)Big Helmet - personal - A memory of a soldier from the days of the Altered Wars.
2)Tiny Globe - Ghostship's - A memory of battling organic ships (presumably the Fleshships of the Altered).
3)Twisted face, hiding - Ghostship's - The memory of being forged into singe consciousness.
4)Syringe - ?
5)Giant Nerve Node - ?
6)Fleet of ships - Ghostship's - The Ghostship's first battle trial, scourging of a planet (presumably overrun by the Altered).
7)Area of Cheering - ?

And that's 7 found out of "10 or so".))
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:55:21 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

((As far as I understand, there are no blobs that need to be distracted by the syringe. The blobs seem to be mostly by the minefield, for now.))

"Let's just get in the memory and hope things calm down a bit. No antagonizing the ship, please."

Enter the memory.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

((Ah, thanks.))

I'd rather not as well, if it can be helped. Just being wary that reaching the hard memory - if not this, then perhaps the next one - might be nigh impossible due to overwhelming pressure, which we'll then have to deal with somehow.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Anyone beyond Maurice and Chin gonna go in there?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Jim will go in as well since it seems the prevailing opinion is 'everyone enters'.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

Pancaek will follow  generalissimo Jim

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Sorry for not posting earlier, weekend. But yeah, if it is a continuous pressure, then I guess our best option is the memory.))

Into the memory we go.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 243