Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 456211 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3285 on: January 17, 2014, 04:06:16 pm »

((I'll note that like legs, arms don't scale up that well either, Radio. Especially not if you want them long enough to grab things without toppling the whole thing, or at least severely unbalancing it. And high-grade materials won't save him from the issues with armor and weight.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: January 17, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »

((I'll note that like legs, arms don't scale up that well either, Radio. Especially not if you want them long enough to grab things without toppling the whole thing, or at least severely unbalancing it. And high-grade materials won't save him from the issues with armor and weight.))

((What kind of size are we talking here? I think we aren't talking bout the same thing really. And high-grades material can indeed make you a decent working mech in this setting. Proof: the Battlesuit. The mechatank was just as an example for general look, not size. Those things are way too big to ever work like they're portrayed.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: January 17, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »

((What kind of size are we talking here? I think we aren't talking bout the same thing really. And high-grades material can indeed make you a decent working mech in this setting. Proof: the Battlesuit. The mechatank was just as an example for general look, not size. Those things are way too big to ever work like they're portrayed.))

((Like I said up a ways, I don't consider the battlesuit to be a mech (my definition of mech: a robot that is controlled from a cockpit-like enclosure and has a humanoid or otherwise legged form). I consider it powered armor (the user's limbs extend at least somewhat into the suit's limbs). As for size of the kludgebot Unholy is attempting to build, consider that he's attempting to use a reactor that would've been on a ship to power it.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:02 pm »

((Like I said up a ways, I don't consider the battlesuit to be a mech (my definition of mech: a robot that is controlled from a cockpit-like enclosure and has a humanoid or otherwise legged form). I consider it powered armor (the user's limbs extend at least somewhat into the suit's limbs). As for size of the kludgebot Unholy is attempting to build, consider that he's attempting to use a reactor that would've been on a ship to power it.))

((I think that's from one of the unusable ships.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: January 17, 2014, 05:08:49 pm »

((Here's my idea for the mech. It would have 6 legs and 2 arms, but I only drew one side.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:12:57 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: January 17, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »

((I can see a few problems with the design (I'm just going to stop talking about the fact that it's a mech/spider tank unless someone attempts to refute or otherwise argue with one of my points above, doing otherwise is nuking a dead cell from orbit (though I've no doubt the UWM did plenty of THAT during the Altered Wars)

Biggest issue is that arms, namely that they're going to conflict with the legs if you intend to use them for any purpose other than intimidation, and that gun turret is going to require all the legs being... beefy. And if you try to 'broadside', you're going to blow the whole thing over anyways.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 17, 2014, 06:18:27 pm »

((I prefer having 6 or 8 legs. At least it won't fall over if you want to broadside it. Also, they are making a new godzilla movie.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 17, 2014, 06:32:26 pm »

((The arm problem could be avoided by allowing the elbow joints to bend backwards, because the elbow is what's conflicting with the legs. Maybe also move the shoulders up a bit.
The mech could adopt a wider stance while firing the main cannon, so it doesn't fall over. What if it's a laser gun instead of a kinetic gun? Lasers don't have recoil.))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:35:29 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: January 17, 2014, 06:55:51 pm »

((Allowing the elbow to bend back wouldn't solve it, if I'm reading your little diagram right. Moving the shoulders up would prohibit it even more.
That would require ball joints for the knees, which has its own issues. And laser would limit it to LOS fire, which puts it further into danger and means you can't use different loads for different purposes. Actually, that whole turret arrangement means that if, say, infantry can get close enough, it would be completely unable to harm them. Would make its destruction even easier.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:46 pm »

((What about having ball joints for the Hips, and hinge joints for the Knees. That would allow it to have good mobility and a wide stance. Probably wide enough to fire a gauss cannon without falling over. I don't see a problem with the arms (Assuming the shoulder is a ball joint, and the elbow is a hinge joint (with greater range of motion than a human elbow)). They could easily reach between the legs, or over them if the arms are lengthened a bit. If the infantry get close enough that the turret can't target them, then they will be ripped apart by the arms and stomped by the legs.))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 17, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »

((Eh, let him build it. If anything he'll draw fire for a few seconds, or he'll survive and holy shit it worked. I'm kinda hoping it works, oddly enough))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: January 18, 2014, 02:12:58 am »

((Like I said up a ways, I don't consider the battlesuit to be a mech (my definition of mech: a robot that is controlled from a cockpit-like enclosure and has a humanoid or otherwise legged form). I consider it powered armor (the user's limbs extend at least somewhat into the suit's limbs).
((There's a trope for that.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:39 am »

((Like I said up a ways, I don't consider the battlesuit to be a mech (my definition of mech: a robot that is controlled from a cockpit-like enclosure and has a humanoid or otherwise legged form). I consider it powered armor (the user's limbs extend at least somewhat into the suit's limbs).
((There's a trope for that.))
((Pretty much. It was fairly conclusively proven during the planetoid mission that the Battlesuit does not have its pilot's limbs extending into the machine's limbs to any significant extent. For one, it'd leave no space for a pilot to fumble around with controls on the inside. The largest powered armor we've seen so far is the mining exosuit. The battlesuits are Mini Mecha.

I'd really like to develop something similarly armored that can fit into regular human-intended spaces though. Like, take that mining exosuit, integrate a Mk2, bring its armor up to military standards, and replace its motorics with synthflesh to make it as mobile as a Mark 3. Call it a Mark 4, or an Assault Exosuit.

And yes, the Modular Combat Suits are still going to be made. Anton is not staying on Hephaestus without at least making a prototype of each.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: January 18, 2014, 05:48:56 am »

((I would love the idea of a MK 4 suit. Synthflesh is definitely the way to go there I reckon, maybe overlayed on top of the powered exoframe of the MK 3 for extra punch and form? I'd have it able to be modified to accept rockets for flight like the MK 3, but have it primarily designed to be ground based with something in the synthflesh to cling to any surface so to quickly and easily release/take weight, so we can literally run up walls and ceilings using the strength of the suit to stay upright. Include some full body armour plating over the synthflesh, maybe some extra sensors here and there and perhaps some extra gadgets (electrified surfaces on the plating? Implanted claymores? Implanted Auto-shields? An extra powerful computer for easier hacking/interfacing with computers? How about something that can let you move in zero g? Extendable monorazers for each arm? Weapon clamps to prevent dropping weapons/clips?) and we could have something really MEAN to wear.

I'm so tempted to start planning something like that out actually. I've got to talk to the Armoury Master about it later...))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: January 18, 2014, 06:32:24 am »

((A lot of those things are already planned for the MCS. Forearm weapon mounts, integrated power supply, and general awareness sensors are planned for all models, with various flight mechanics/augmented movement systems, heavy weapon mounts, extra electrified armor and integrated melee weaponry, and some other features available to be chosen with different mission loadouts. Stuffing everything into one unit might be overkill... then again, the MCS is meant to be more of an extension of the Mk3 than a true "superior in every way" armor. The Mk4 could be that.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 243