Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Valcano forts  (Read 1708 times)

Green Axe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Valcano forts
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:40:22 pm »

I am starting a valcano fortress any cool ideas?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Valcano forts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:47:56 pm »

My first mega project for a volcano was to build a completely automated magma hallway.  Creatures entered, pressurized magma filled the hallway in seconds, emptied, and then re-opened, awaiting the next wayward victim(s).

It was challenging and very rewarding.  I highly recommend it.

The volcano, of course, is used to fill/refill the magma cistern used to flood the hallway!  8)

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:01 am »

Try to use the magma for something inventive, like the magma hallway someone mentioned. You could use it to clear away refuse and messes. Also things like a Lava Moat, channeling everything out but the Caldera and having magma waterfalls if your FPS can manage it would all look pretty cool, especially if you create an obsidian farm and make a fort out of that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »

Drain the volcano, build your dining room inside of it out of glass, and then reflood the volcano.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:41:49 pm »

Cap the caldera so your dwarves can't fall in.

Build a series of traps modeled after spa things. Sauna, mudpack, aromatherapy, etc.

Build a doomsday device for use if your fort is about to fall.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »

Drain the volcano, build your dining room inside of it out of glass, and then reflood the volcano.
This!  I just might have to do something similar in the magma sea in my current fort.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »

I am starting a valcano fortress any cool ideas?
Are you Australian, by any chance  ;)
Valcano. Sometimes I dislike the invention or dictionaries for the very purpose I like them. You can't mutate language on a whim!

"THE VALCANO IS ERUPTING!"

"You what?"

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:15 am »

If you create a magma river that flows from the volcano to the map edge, I wonder if you can generate power using nether cap water wheels?

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:30:04 am »

nethercap cages in a room with goblin/elf/any prisoners fill it with 7/7 magma then release them!!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:38:10 am »

nethercap cages in a room with goblin/elf/any prisoners fill it with 7/7 magma then release them!!

Why the nether-cap? Let them feel their wooden cages burn around them!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 07:42:00 am »

Why the nether-cap? Let them feel their wooden cages burn around them!
I want them so see what is going to happen before they are engulf in lava I want them to taste the fear

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:13 pm »

Carve a smiley face with magma/lava pouring out the mouth.  Cliche I know.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 06:49:08 pm »

Make everything out of glass or obsidian, except for military equipment (and you're forced to use Obsidian swords).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:46 am »

If you create a magma river that flows from the volcano to the map edge, I wonder if you can generate power using nether cap water wheels?

To the best of my knowledge (tried it, but perhaps too half-heartedly), magma doesn't produce a flow that can be utilised by waterwheels. A dwarven magma reactor would certainly be a worthy endeavour, but currently, it's not possible.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 08:30:32 am »

To the best of my knowledge (tried it, but perhaps too half-heartedly), magma doesn't produce a flow that can be utilised by waterwheels. A dwarven magma reactor would certainly be a worthy endeavour, but currently, it's not possible.

I've always wanted to try that but I've never had any nether cap to work with.

This is going to be a little long.  The setup is important to the delivery.

My first fortress was on a mountain.  What little water I had was in in serveral murky ponds spread across 3 layers.  I was so new that I couldn't even make my own booze.  My fortress was in danger of failing every single time a caravan arrived.  I only survived by trading stone crafts for every single piece of food and every barrel of booze they had.  My dwarfs had drank several ponds dry.  I noticed that the rain would fill the ponds part way each time it rained.  I developed a plan to drain all the excess water from all the ponds into a central cistern that would feed my indoor wells (I had three).  The ponds on the top layer were always drained.  I ended up draining all the water from the middle layer into the halls that I had dug to bring their water back the the central line (too far, water level fell below 2).  My last attempt was to build an outdoor pump stack that pulled water directly out of the third layer (lowest) ponds into the first layer.  I was a little smarter this time as I setup floodgates to prevent over draining.  I was able to fully fill the first layer ponds without draining the third layer ponds completely.  That was until I left the pumps on and the flood gates open.  The very next time the dwarves tried to drink all the top ponds dry the pump stack drained the lower ponds instead.  You can see where this is going, the next cycle after that the dwarves drank the top ponds dry.

What to do?  Well, I decided the only way out was down.  I had dug a shaft down and there was a lake down there.  So I built a 66 tall pump stack to bring up water from the underground lake to the surface and refill all of the ponds.  By this time I had connected every pond the the central line and I had completed the pump stack that would pull water into the cistern.  All I needed now was the water.

While I was building this massive pump stack and the massive wind mill farm to power it.  I discovered a magma pipe.  Realizing that I had put in all of this work to get a pump stack down there and that I only needed a few more wind mills to reach the magma. I set about designing a dual purpose pump stack.  I traded away all the wooden parts for the stack that I had already built and set about making the entire thing out of glass.

I finshed the stack and decided to pump the magma first and then the water.  I knew from the wiki that I only needed to charge the magma once to get my magma workshops to run fuel free forever.  I messed up and I ended up with 10 times more magma 'in the pipe' than I needed for the workshops.

Which leads to what I ended up doing with all that excess magma.  I filled every pond on the map 7/7 with magma.  When it rained the water just hissed and evaporated away immediately.  Eventually I built a 'drain off' path and drained all of the magma out of the water system, but it was extremely cool having ponds with magma.  I heard that someone did the same things only they replaced all the water in the ocean with magma.

tl;dr what was once filled with water has become filled with magma.
Pages: [1] 2