Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41

Author Topic: King of the Mafia 3 - Game over!  (Read 72129 times)

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile

PFP
Tiruin, truth be told, I'm having a really shitty day at work. I had to vote somebody, and didn't have a lot of time to think about it.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Toaster
NQT:
I start my new work today, so in case I don't get to vote later:  Hapah, when in a game is it possible to first get reads on people?
Is all you have rolefish and RVS?  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far?
I've also got my charm and good looks. Today is the first day and there's been a lot of waffle and relatively little banana. I usually prefer to form my reads in light of role-flips and people's votes, and this game mode is especially ripe for taking a softly softly approach as everyone wants to survive until the second night so they can be sure to use their abilities. The scummiest thing I've seen is collectively the Deathsword-Tiruin-Ford dust up. That they're all so invested in it makes me think that one of them could be scum. My money's on DS for now.

DS
notquitethere
Hapah, not that I'm fishing or anything but it would seem you must have a very powerful role for Miller to be added as a debuff. Is this a reasonable assumption?
Was supped to be directed at Toaster. Rolefishing and WIFOM.
Not WIFOM or Rolefishing. More discussion on the nature of the game. It's obvious if Miller was added as a debuff, there must have been a reason to debuff. That doesn't narrow it down by any amount as there's loads of powerful roles. I don't think it's in my interest for anyone to tell their roles as it gives scum too big an advantage.

Ford, I don't know about you, but this was the first game I've been in where I've got to chose my role. The choice was daunting. I won't ask what you picked but I will ask by what metric you made your choice.
Rolefishing, trying to determine what kind of role Ford might have picked.
Again, this game is about roles, not talking about roles in general would be pretty weird.

But you see Ford, if role-fishing is blatant then it can't really be role-fishing as I could neither want nor expect anyone to take the bait. Is any discussion of roles (i.e. any discussion of the nature of this game-mode) automatically suspicious? As for the misbolding: serves me right for trying to play mafia on my phone.
Horrible, horrible WIFOM
How is discussing my own motivations possibly WIFOM? I know perfectly what I'm thinking.

Everyone, I have never played a mafia game where you get to pick your own roles before. Now I have learned too late that discussing roles in any way is a cardinal sin and is only done by fiendish scum, apparently.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

PFP
Tiruin, truth be told, I'm having a really shitty day at work. I had to vote somebody, and didn't have a lot of time to think about it.
Okay.

I've also got my charm and good looks. Today is the first day and there's been a lot of waffle and relatively little banana. I usually prefer to form my reads in light of role-flips and people's votes, and this game mode is especially ripe for taking a softly softly approach as everyone wants to survive until the second night so they can be sure to use their abilities. The scummiest thing I've seen is collectively the Deathsword-Tiruin-Ford dust up. That they're all so invested in it makes me think that one of them could be scum. My money's on DS for now.
There's only one mafia so I wouldn't claim the pile-up excuse.

Everyone, I have never played a mafia game where you get to pick your own roles before. Now I have learned too late that discussing roles in any way is a cardinal sin and is only done by fiendish scum, apparently.
Yes it is.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PFP
Expanding on my vote.

I don't find NQT scummy for his WIFOM or rolefishing, nor do I find DS scummy for his tunneling or overreactions. That's par for the course for both of them.

Tiruin and Toaster aren't standing out to me. Hapah is doing fine.

ToonyMan is being hostile and reacting to queries to expand on his earlier answers with shouting. This is not normal for him.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Toaster
NQT:
I start my new work today, so in case I don't get to vote later:  Hapah, when in a game is it possible to first get reads on people?
Is all you have rolefish and RVS?  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far?
Oh look, an OMGUS.

DS
notquitethere
Hapah, not that I'm fishing or anything but it would seem you must have a very powerful role for Miller to be added as a debuff. Is this a reasonable assumption?
Not WIFOM or Rolefishing. More discussion on the nature of the game. It's obvious if Miller was added as a debuff, there must have been a reason to debuff. That doesn't narrow it down by any amount as there's loads of powerful roles. I don't think it's in my interest for anyone to tell their roles as it gives scum too big an advantage.
You asked if he had a powerful role. No matter the answer, yes or no, you'd get to know something about his role.

Ford, I don't know about you, but this was the first game I've been in where I've got to chose my role. The choice was daunting. I won't ask what you picked but I will ask by what metric you made your choice.
Rolefishing, trying to determine what kind of role Ford might have picked.
Again, this game is about roles, not talking about roles in general would be pretty weird.
But trying to make people give you info on their roles is quite scummy.

But you see Ford, if role-fishing is blatant then it can't really be role-fishing as I could neither want nor expect anyone to take the bait. Is any discussion of roles (i.e. any discussion of the nature of this game-mode) automatically suspicious? As for the misbolding: serves me right for trying to play mafia on my phone.
Horrible, horrible WIFOM
How is discussing my own motivations possibly WIFOM? I know perfectly what I'm thinking.
Let me follow the logic in your post:
If you role fish is blatant it can't be role fishing, since if it ws blatant you wouldn't expect people to take the bait.
Now let's follow this logic some more:
Unless of course you are indeed blatantly rolefishing while expecting people to take the bait, but unwilling to admit your rolefishing is blatant. Or maybe you don't know what you are talking about. Or maybe a wizard did it. WIFOM.

Please, don't try to paint yourself as a saintly newbie being attacked by the big bad Deathsword. Talking about roles in general once is normal. GOING THE WHOLE GAME ONLY TALKING ABOUT ROLES is scummy.

Ford: I fear your meta on me is based on the (relatively) short period of time we've been playing together, in which I've been quite cranky.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Votecount:
notquitethere: Toaster, Deathsword
Captain Ford: ToonyMan, Tiruin
ToonyMan: Captain Ford
Deathsword: notquitethere
Not voting: Hapah

It hasn't quite been 24 hours since the last votecount so Hapah can escape a warning this time.  Deadline is in roughly 24 hours time.  Make sure you vote again before then!

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?month=03&day=20&hour=00&min=00&sec=00&p0=136&msg=Day+1+deadline

(I'll be using the forums time as the decider as usual, but this should give you a rough idea no matter how confused you are about timezones)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

So... you're saying you won't tell me your role then, Deathsword?

Ah, I'm just winding you up. Unvote for now.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

It hasn't quite been 24 hours since the last votecount so Hapah can escape a warning this time.  Deadline is in roughly 24 hours time.  Make sure you vote again before then!
Thanks boss! Had a good friend of mine get back from his deployment, so I had to take him out for drinks and shoot the breeze with him for a while.

Quote from: Toony Post #76
Stuff
Sorry about that, I just skimmed. I don't normally pay the game much attention on the weekends.

Varies wildly based on the game and (to a lesser extent) the player. Some people are easier to read than others, and sometimes people slip and give you a good line of questioning when you wouldn't normally have a good angle.

Hapah:
Skimmed the thread so I have something to think about, and this sticks out like whoa:
So what did all your thinking amount to?
The more I think about it, the more I think your Miller claim might be bogus. It's the sort of bold action I might expect from the king, especially when you take into account that there are at least two really nuts-and-bolts type of players in the game.

I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hapah: Just a gentle nudge - don't forget to place a vote so the antilurk system doesn't get you.

Ford: I fear your meta on me is based on the (relatively) short period of time we've been playing together, in which I've been quite cranky.
Yeah, that describes it pretty well.

That post in Mafia and Masons and Hackers where you painted NQT as a saintly townie and me as scum who came to his rescue is still one of the most ... unique things I've read on these forums.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

Ford: Oh, thanks boss! Toaster.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Deathsword:
notquitethere

-snip-

Why do I get the feeling that this whole post is just a big "me too!" vote?  Who do you suspect other than NQT and why?

NQT:
Toaster
The scummiest thing I've seen is collectively the Deathsword-Tiruin-Ford dust up. That they're all so invested in it makes me think that one of them could be scum. My money's on DS for now.

Why?  Your post does him doesn't exactly accuse him of anything.

Hapah:
Hapah:
Skimmed the thread so I have something to think about, and this sticks out like whoa:
So what did all your thinking amount to?
The more I think about it, the more I think your Miller claim might be bogus. It's the sort of bold action I might expect from the king, especially when you take into account that there are at least two really nuts-and-bolts type of players in the game.

Really?  I "might" be lying?  That's it?  You don't even care about that attack, since you forgot to even vote me over it.

Someone really wants the game to get to night.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

PFP

No, I just forgot that my vote doesn't stick unless I refresh it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Ford
ToonyMan is being hostile and reacting to queries to expand on his earlier answers with shouting. This is not normal for him.
Not normal??  Although general reads are nice, I like how it's similar to mine, but just different people in the "probably town, no read, probably scum" slots.

So... you're saying you won't tell me your role then, Deathsword?
Ah, I'm just winding you up. Unvote for now.
I have to agree with Deathsword here.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PFP

*long sigh* I thought the deadline was yesterday, which would have meant the day would end before I could leave work. I didn't have much time yesterday, but I have more now.

Not normal??  Although general reads are nice, I like how it's similar to mine, but just different people in the "probably town, no read, probably scum" slots.
Yeah, alright, you're just ticking me off. That's entirely normal.

Tiruin:
ToonyMan. Do you think you could show a little more patience?
What seems wrong with being enthusiastic that I see the Toony is?

Your vote seems like an OMGUS - however you're relating patience to...what now? That seems confusing. What I see it as, is that you're interpreting him wanting to get to day end by the definition of patience.

What's up?
*long, long sigh* Yeah, you're right. I'm the one who's impatient. I'm under a lot of money-stress, and I'm angry because I feel trapped in my current situation. I'm just deflecting my own emotions onto ToonyMan (and in part, onto DS, too).

Motherfucker. Let me get my shit together. Unvote.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

I'll let Ford get his shit together, so while we're here:

@Hapah:
Why do you think Toaster is lying?  Even if you took this at a pure probability run there's only a 1/6 chance he's being ballsy mafia.

@NQT:
Who do you think is King Mafia?  I'm probably going to vote you if Ford makes a good shit-together recovery.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41