Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Monogamy?  (Read 6401 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Monogamy?
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:03:37 pm »

Is it good or bad?  When can it be permitted, if at all?

Im listening to this guy who says he dating three friends at the same time, and they all know about it.  His friend says that's okay because they all know about it.  Others say just sex is okay, and no dating is required; much less marriage is important.

What do you'll think.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
Re: Monogamy?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:06:18 pm »

Monogamy is single marrige. You might be referring to polygamy.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »

Although he doesn't appear to be talking about marriage, either, but simple seeing multiple people.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:09:28 pm »

As long as they are all alright with it, I certainly don't envy his position, I'd probably screw things over.
[I think the term is polyamory, or polyfidelity, based on the set up :v]

Humans, just based on the physiology, you can see that it can be problematic to be monogamist, at times. :/

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:17:31 pm »

I say people should go with whatever relationships they're comfortable with. It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »

What are societal/cultural conflicts [arguendo]?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:25:26 pm »

*cough* (points to flags)

Polyamorous here. Dating two women at the same time, and yes they both know about it. IMHO, the latter part is very important. Otherwise it's just "I sleep around a lot" and it's potentially dangerous to all parties, physically and emotionally.

There's definitely a spectrum of relationship, from "deeply committed life partner" to (for lack of a better term) "fuck buddy". Some choose to define polyamory as multiple serious relationships, which is tricky but possible. I know of a few people who have done that happily for a decade or more.

For others, it may simply be a network of sexual partners who are aware of each other (and depending on the orientations, may be partners among themselves).

For me personally, it's somewhere in the middle. I have one serious relationship which may someday turn into a marriage. She has a couple of...I believe the best term is "friends with benefits" -- people with whom she has friendships with beyond just sexual relations. Likewise, I have a FWB myself -- we go out to dinner occasionally, go to movies, just hang out and watch dumb TV and make snarky comments, etc. I qualify that as "dating", even though we both acknowledge that there's no long-term goal in mind and no "possession". If she wants to see other guys, that's fine as long as she lets me know, and vice versa.

I think that's perhaps the biggest paradigm shift compared to traditional models of relationships and sex: the traditional idea is tied up with notions of possession and exclusivity (and jealousy). The polyamory model is much more one of free association, consensuality and openness. Because of that, the two really aren't interoperable. You add a monoamorist into a polyamorist network, it's going to cause problems. Which isn't to say that everyone involved has to have multiple partners, they just have to be okay with the general concept.

It's certainly not for everyone, and you seriously have to check your ego at the door otherwise it's way too easy for people to get their feelings hurt.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »

What are your views on seeing multiple people and marriage?  Sorry I didn't clarify; they are two different things.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »

Are you asking if I approve of polygamy (multiple marriage), or polyamory in conjunction with marriage (i.e. being married and still seeing other people)?

EDIT: Y'know, this is skirting the edge of the forum guidelines. Not sure this is the best place for this discussion. Just sayin'. :-\
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:33:21 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:41:50 pm »

I definitely not ready :/

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:42:54 pm »

One word: ew.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »

Are you asking if I approve of polygamy (multiple marriage), or polyamory in conjunction with marriage (i.e. being married and still seeing other people)?

EDIT: Y'know, this is skirting the edge of the forum guidelines. Not sure this is the best place for this discussion. Just sayin'. :-\

Word?  And here I thought I'd get a few new ideas to knock around.  :(

To clarify:

-Is it okay to see multiple people?  What would make it okay (or not okay)?

-Is marriage a dying tradition?  For that matter you make a point.  Is it okay to have multiple partners with the intent of keeping them for life?
PKs DF Mod!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:46:49 pm »

I say people should go with whatever relationships they're comfortable with. It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Yeah this.  As long as everyone is honest with each other I don't care what they do.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 05:49:03 pm »

-Is it okay to see multiple people?  What would make it okay (or not okay)?
Awareness, Consent, and General Value [Which tie into relational foundations like Honesty, Trust, and so on]

-Is marriage a dying tradition?  For that matter you make a point.  Is it okay to have multiple partners with the intent of keeping them for life?
I hear a lot of people in Japan become Christians temporarily just so that they can get married.
That last part about eternity is a tricky thing, the -otherwise- best you can make marriage is something that lasts a pretty damn long amount of time.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »

I think people should do what is right for them and the other people involved.

For example, I am on a pretty steep "I may never get married" kick, because I am coming to realize that my interest in sex is borderline zero and that the things I want out of people are things that you can have with your friends.  If a polyamorous group picked me up on the periphery as someone whose hair they patted once in a while that would pretty much do me in terms of physical needs.

So, is there anything wrong with that?  No, I really don't think so.  I think that we've got a lot of cultural baggage and myths attached to monogamous heterosexual eternal marriage, some of which need to be deconstructed for the good of the participants ("until death do we part" in the abusive case, anyone?) and some of which are cool--but we haven't constructed cultural values and stories around polyamorous relationships, so we don't have this feeling that they're okay.

Eh, that's my two cents.

Something no longer being the only thing that gets any public lip service does not mean it is "dying."  Gay people marrying does not mean marriage is dying; heterosexual people not marrying does not mean marriage is dying.  Polyamory will not kill marriage, just like the institution of monogamous marriage did not kill polyamory.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6