Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Create a Planet and Invade others  (Read 1513 times)

Dredonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Create a Planet and Invade others
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:09:02 pm »

This is a simple little game, taken from another forum. The rules are thus.

1. Compressed JPEG images or low quality images are considered invalid and ignored, Save as .PNG!
2. Use a reliable image host that doesn't compress the image.
3. Try to make your stuff look nice.
4. No big overpowered superweapons that blow up the universe in 1 turn
5. Don't make your planet ludicrously big. around 120x120 is considered pretty big.
6. Always declare before posting. It's like getting in line
7. Planets can have moons, but only make moons if you are actually going to use them for something.
8. Don't post a planet and then just leave the thread.
9. Name Your Planet.
10. Do NOT cry and argue if your planet is destroyed. If it is destroyed, simply make another one.
11. Always post a brief explanation of what happened in your update at the bottom or top of the image.
12. Don't make giant moves in a single turn, it's just stupid.
13. If, for any reason, you disagree with any of these rules, let me know your point and I'll consider changing it.
14. Please don't make loads of ships.

EDIT: In a nutshell

1: Players declare their spot in the editing list. (Using MS Paint, other sorts of picture-making software)
2: Player #1 in the declaration list edits the picture first, creating and naming their planet/civilization.
3: The objective of the game is basically to create a fun solar system, with alliances, battles, etc, happening around it. Valid moves are:

JimmytheWorldBuilder:   
Okay, I'm going to create my planet, and it's going to be named "TheBestPlanet" [He then would insert a picture here of his planet, and whatever moves he makes.                                   

4: Declarations are resolved by the time they are posted. Ex.

JimmytheWorldBuilder: I WILL DECLARE NOW

FrancisBacon22: I WANNA DECLARE NEXT, SO AFTER YOU POST I WILL CREATE MY PLANET AND THINGS.

5: If this is supposed to be in another area of the forum, I would be happy to delete the thread and repost it there.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:43:06 pm by Dredonius »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet and Invade others
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:39 am »

Those aren't rules- they’re restrictions. How about telling us the rest of the rules? For starters what is the objective of the game? What are valid moves (give examples)? How are the declarations you mentioned resolved?
If this is actually a pictures thread (like PHotoshop Fridays on 4chan*) it should go in the Creative Projects subforum.

Dredonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »

Oh, darn. Sorry, man. The reason it's like this is because I posted this very late at night, and it's basically a copy-paste of the other thread.
The objective of the game is to gradually edit the photo I put up just now. (Create a planet, create a civilization) so that we eventually have a solar system. I'm not really sure what you mean by a pictures thread, but Creative Projects may be the right place for this.

In a nutshell

1: Players declare their spot in the editing list. (Using MS Paint, other sorts of picture-making software)
2: Player #1 in the declaration list edits the picture first, creating and naming their planet/civilization.
3: The objective of the game is basically to create a fun solar system, with alliances, battles, etc, happening around it. Valid moves are:

JimmytheWorldBuilder:   
Okay, I'm going to create my planet, and it's going to be named "TheBestPlanet" [He then would insert a picture here of his planet, and whatever moves he makes.                                   

4: Declarations are resolved by the time they are posted. Ex.

JimmytheWorldBuilder: I WILL DECLARE NOW

FrancisBacon22: I WANNA DECLARE NEXT, SO AFTER YOU POST I WILL CREATE MY PLANET AND THINGS.

5: If this is supposed to be in another area of the forum, I would be happy to delete the thread and repost it there.

Hopefully this helps.

MeimieFan626

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:28 pm »

I don't really get how declarations work.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:57:42 pm by MeimieFan626 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:09 pm »

Basically, it's a system to prevent 2 people working on the picture at the same time.

MeimieFan626

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:08:03 pm »

Oh okay. I think I get it.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:12:20 pm »

I declare that I shall make something. (At some point)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:01:28 pm by Remuthra »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 03:00:20 pm »

Basically, it's a system to prevent 2 people working on the picture at the same time.
Add a basic "don't just yell 'I WIN!' in the form of a thermonuclear hailstorm" and you got yourself a game!
And PTW. I may throw my own thing in at some point.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »

I want like third or something. Yes.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:43:06 pm »

I think you are exploiting the declaration system. It's only meant to reserve the image as you are working on it. So I propose that we add a rule for declarations to expire after 12 hours.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:03:36 pm »

Maybe we could claim areas? If two people want the same general area then they can work that out, otherwise, image splicing could work.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

MeimieFan626

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:10 pm »

How do we invade each other? Do we have to create ships?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 03:22:35 pm »

apparently you just "imagine" them. Wherever you want. How unstructured!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:17 pm »

I'd imagine a rather complex system of rules, but unfortunately it is 10pm there so I'll think about it and maybe post something tomorrow.
Maybe a system of ship class, with a couple characteristics, a stone-paper-scissors system (or rather lasers/projectiles/missiles versus shields/armor/point defence) expressed in points and...
I tend to ramble when tired...

Maybe just trust the other guys to not ruin the fun of everyone.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:12 pm »

I declare that I will add a planet populated by paranoid Lizard Cats who have just mastered the arts of Fusion and Low Orbital Construction.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.
Pages: [1] 2 3