Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Channeling a brook for impassibility [solved]  (Read 526 times)

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Channeling a brook for impassibility [solved]
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »

I have a brook nearby that I'd like to use as a barrier. Is it possible to increase the depth of the brook so that it's not walkable? I'd rather do that than try to wall one side of it off. The wiki page on brooks makes me think that the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:59:03 pm by xcorps »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Channeling a brook for impassibility
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:26:28 pm »

You literally answered your own question in the title text. :P What you want to do is "channel" the surface of the brook and it will become deeper (brooks function basically as a river with an invisible floor on top of them).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »

Ah, I see. Thanks very much for the reply. I was confused by the wiki description of the brook tiles.

As a follow up, I'm embarked in a fairly small area at the top of cliffs. If I were to channel a diversion for the brook so the water flowed off the cliff, would it flood out the valley below, or just flow off-map?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:44:49 pm by xcorps »

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 02:56:38 pm »

water makes a kind of poor barrier, since some enemies swim and if you are not in a warm biome it can freeze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:12 pm »

Ah, I see. Thanks very much for the reply. I was confused by the wiki description of the brook tiles.

As a follow up, I'm embarked in a fairly small area at the top of cliffs. If I were to channel a diversion for the brook so the water flowed off the cliff, would it flood out the valley below, or just flow off-map?

general rule is that water will fill anything up to the level of its source, unless there is sufficient drainage/evaporation

so yeah, it'll flow off the map, though you can ofcourse dig a moat or build a wall to make a lake
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:45 pm »

Thanks for the help