Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcano  (Read 567 times)

Virlomi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcano
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:50:05 am »

So, I'm trying to get back into DF. Never got far previously, but always enjoyed digging holes.

Anyways, I decided after a few maps of refamiliarizing myself with the hotkeys and dying horribly, to embark slightly more seriously onto something with a volcano. Naturally, despite an 8x8 embark area, my dwarves decide to haul their wagon all the way up 39 z levels from ground level to set up camp on the side of a volcano, just 3 z levels below it's lip. Which leads me to a couple of questions for my volcano:

1) Will it ever erupt?
2) If I build a tunnel straight down starting on one of the upper Z levels (like right where my dwarves start, for instance), then breach it at the top, will the lava fill the entire system I lay out for whatever magma workshops I create down below?
3) Will the lava at the top of the volcano ever run out? Is it infinite?

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:00:40 pm »

1) It wont ever erupt

2) Yes, magma isn't pressurized so it won't rise(as far as I know, don't quote me on that)

3)It is indeed infinite. Its essentially a magma tube that happened to breach the surface.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:26:34 pm »

2) Yes, magma isn't pressurized so it won't rise(as far as I know, don't quote me on that)

My most recent fort-on-a-volcano had a convenient river nearby, and I used a bit of water to completely cap off the volcano top. When I channeled into that obsidian for magma forges, I would get little 7/7 bubbles of magma that popped up and spread out everywhere. I used that to feed a magma reservoir for a magma defense mechanism, with infinite refilling capability.

So as far as actual eruptions go, no the volcano won't erupt. But if you build directly on the level (the floor) where obsidian was formed, magma will probably bubble up and try to fill that level up. It takes a while, but it does happen. Its not really a bad thing, unless some unlucky dwarf happens to be nearby.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 07:08:27 pm »

If the volcano is full and the game makes a check to add more lava to the tube, it will bubble and spatter.

Virlomi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:58:11 pm »

Its not really a bad thing, unless some unlucky dwarf happens to be nearby.

If I've learned one thing, all dwarves are unlucky.