Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ilirid - Newbie's First Fortress!  (Read 2326 times)

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ilirid - Newbie's First Fortress!
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:34:36 am »

Hello there everyone! I recently got interested in Dwarf fortress, read Boatmurdered and some of the lore, and I decided to get in on the action. Thus, I made a world and a fortress which will likely fail spectacularly miserably in a great display of FUN.

So, I decided to make this thread to give you all something to mercilessly mock show my first experiences as the special, first fortress, and maybe pick up some tips as I go.

So we embark, upon the world of Elathu Oroni to the fortress of Ilirid! (Joyous rocks)

And now, I get in character...

---

Fresh out of overlording school, I surveyed the maps of this region. The world is young and there is yet a lot of open space for expansion and exploration. Imagine my surprise when I was selected to embark upon unknown grounds and set up a fortress to last through the ages! I really didn't get to pick and choose my supplies or people though, I'm guessing the home fortress is strapped for resources as is, Probably lost to hedonism and stupidity so I went over the roster we had and here's who we have:

Geshun Gatemountains, Expedition leader and Novice Fisherdwarf. Why she was chosen as leader for this expedition was not readily apparent to me at first. But around the campfire she told some tales about some of her famous, no, legendary battles against the beasts known as carp. CARP? What the...? Carp are fish, it's not like they're some dwarf eating terror that can rip off limbs and drag good, sturdy dwarves down to the depths with vicious ease. Still, her tales of her battles against the dreaded carp impress the others enough, and we may need some fishermen to keep food stocks supplied when we set up. So, she's our leader.

She also absolutely detests worms.

Tholtig Limullimar, a competant miner. I figure he'll be doing the brunt of the digwork. Then I looked at his stats:
He is weak. His emerald eyes are slightly protruding. His sideburns are clean-shaven. … blah blah blah about his appearance...
He is incredibly tough, but he is quick to tire, slow to heal, and very weak.
He can handle stress. He is very active. He tends not to openly express emotions. He is self disciplined.  He talks to himself when he's thinking. He needs alcohol to get through the working day. He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
He also likes peregrine falcon men for their ability to dive through the air.... what the...?

So, a weak miner that tires easily and likes to work outdoors? Somehow I have the feeling he may not be doing the brunt of the mining soon enough. Also I can see how much the capital citadel cares about this new fortress. [BEEP] Them.

Sarvesh Rigothastesh: Novice Miner, Engraver, Mason, Mechanic, Building Designer, Dabbling Persuader, Negotiator, Comedian, Pacifier... err, wait, this guy wasn't expedition leader?
Well, his stats are better, he's slow to tire and agile. Though, actually, looking at his preferences...
Sarvesh Rigothastesh likes brimstone.

Yeah... maybe it's a good thing he wasn't elected expedition leader.

Zefon Isethsodel: Novice Carpenter, Bowyer, Dabbling Persuader, Negotiator, Judge of Intent, Intimidator, Conversationalist, Comedian, Flatterer, Consoler. Yet another good apparent choice for expedition leader, or should have been. I look for... actually, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his preferences, okay he looks like he's sixty years old but come on, he'd have to have one badass beard by then,... and... oh wait...
He likes masked lovebird men for their loving nature. When possible, he prefers to consume giant earthworm, clown loach, rat weed, dwarven wine and dwarven sugar. He absolutely detests hamsters.

Okay, if the others caught him eating earthworms I probably wouldn't want him as my expedition leader either, especially considering our current carp-fighting one. What is with these dwarves and loving birdmen? Just how many birdmen do you even see on an average day!?

Mafol Okiroltar: Novice Wood Cutter, Brewer, Cook, Grower, Herbalist, Furnace Operator, Wood Burner, Lye Maker, Potash Maker, Dabbling persuader. Okay, that's a good set of skills. I figure that with a larger fortress we might want someone more specialized, but with this small group we're going to need our dwarves to cover as many areas as possible. Sounds like a useful guy. Looking through his personality, I can only find a few things wrong. He's got little linguistic ability, poor creativity, and is very quick to anger. Very quick to anger?... gotta make sure he stays happy and drunk. Can't have him going berserk when he's got a woodcutter's axe...

Kel Alathtirist, Novice Fish Cleaner, Butcher, Tanner, Weaver, Clothier, Leatherworker, Dabbling Persuader, Negotiator, Judge of Intent, and Intimidator. Guess she must make clothes out of cleaned fish or something, though that actually could be useful with our expedition leader's vast array of carp fighting skills. She likes short swords, mittens, and chains. For some reason I find that kind of creepy. I'm not sure why.
She's got poor focus and little linguistic ability, durable, but quick to tire and very slow to heal. Guessing this is why she wasn't leader, she's rarely happy or enthusiastic. Still, I figure her wide array of skills could be useful, even if the capital insists on giving me the most 'useful' (AKA: Not at all) personnel possible for this expedition.

But that's what we have. I did some surveying of the maps, I came across this location:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A goodly, calm biome. Has soil for farming and metal for mining, and is a woodland so plenty of trees to harvest as long as those damned elves don't decide to perforate us. Still, the location should mitigate a lot of the factors that could give this fortress a nice premature death.

Here's an image of where we'll be digging into. I'll have to keep track of elevations as I go, it's a total mind screw.

There's a bit to the north, plenty of trees, plants (which I'm not sure if I can use), and pools. Maybe our fearless expedition leader can get to work on fishing for those deadly carp she was blathering on about to make sure they don't murder all our dwarves get us some extra food on the go.

But enough surveying, it's time to get to work!
I design the basics of a fortress, I figure we'll start with an entry hall, one storeroom, and one living room, AKA dwarves will live there. Easier for now than giving them all rooms I suppose. We don't really have time to all get individual rooms, got to save those for useless ponces nobles. And be sure to add plenty of spike traps that could accidentally misfire.
I'll definitely want to expand beyond this, but for now, I figure it will do...
Or, maybe I think it will do, but then I look on our jobs list and....

Well, we have 3 dwarves working and 4 doing noble imitations. Bah, I'd tell them all to mine but apparently they won't, well, except for the stoneworker. I figure he'll be better at it than the weak, tired miner that likes working outdoors. Freaking pansy.

So, things go along smoot....
Okay, so it starts raining and my miners warn me about damp stone. Well of course, it's RAINING outside, but eh, the last thing I want is for my new fortress to be flooded out, so I tell them to continue and keep going and notify me if they come across more damp stone. Which they do. Still, I want that storeroom set up, even if it is made with non euclidean geometry.

Progress goes along, the stoneworker gets a mining level. Horay. Progress keeps being made... until I get worried about the Yaks with us... so...

I forgot that I had to set a pasture for them, because for some reason domesticated animals will happily starve to death and go on rampages unless you explicitly tell them to graze upon what's right in front of them. Still, I suppose they are dumb animals,...

But it does make me wonder about what else I'm forgetting about...

Dusky

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of the cult of the Blessed Beard
    • View Profile
Re: Ilirid - Newbie's First Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »

Well this already seems to be going better than my first fort did so keep up the good work until your inevitable and quickly approaching doom!

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »

I'll do my best!

-----

Okay, so I finally reviewed our plans. And they were NOT kidding about damp stone. After thinking to myself that everyone I take on a future endeavor should have at least minimal mining proficiency to speed up the initial digging, I take a look at our map above when I finally go through the reports...
It means that if I'm not careful with my digging, then I could flood out my fortress if I'm not careful. A bunch of ideas came through my head at that, incidentally. I could use the water as a weapon to defend the fortress, as a poor dwarf's magma. I could try and farm the place out, or I could use it as a storeroom, temporary or permanent.
My thoughts were: Probably wouldn't be too useful as a weapon, horribly risky to use as a farm, considering I had not planned for it. I might turn it into a weapon later, but right now my stuff is lying on the floor outdoors. So I use it as a storeroom, which I may re-tool later.

Speaking of storage...
Why is it my dwarves are leaving barrels of high quality rum out in the rain while they go and gather ROCK SALT!?... what are we even going to use chunks of rock salt for!?... I just, gah... the whole rock layer is made out of freaking rock salt. It's not going to be hard to find some! But no, they'll just water down their ale. Blegh.

Night comes and the miners go to sleep. I figure they've been working all day, so they could use a break. They decide to go sleep ourdoors though. So I suppose that one miner's indifference to sleeping outdoors in the rain works out for me. Still, there's a lot more to do.
To business, I want to make sure there's a living room, a workshop room, a dining hall with a kitchen. Thus I expand the digging plots. So far trying to keep things simple and on one floor. I may have to look into downwards expansion when we get a larger population, but for now this will suffice.

Those stairs I'm building there are for a farm. I want a 'bump' of elevated terrain in case of flooding, so that in case the water spikes it won't flood the fortress (I hope!), but can still be, if I channel properly, use it for farming.
Success! It doesn't flood my fortress and makes some mud! Now to designate a farm plot. Of course, I can only hope that one of my dwarves actually knows how to plant...

Apparently not. *Headdesk*, also, where did the badger come from?
I would like to know if our fortress is going to be overrun by snarling, angry fwuzzy animals. Still, if it's possible it's -too- tempting of an idea to make a snarling angry army of badgers that would viciously maul any who dare mess with the fortress of Joyous Rocks. Heh, would be funny even. Still, I've got more immediate concerns. Like making my dwarves actually get that farm set up. So I go ahead and expand the plot.
Also, I wanted to smooth out the stone we would be using for our beds, but it seems like it's going to take too long, we don't have time for luxury right now. So I scrap that.

Also, I think the cats have been serial killers outside... poor fluffy wamblers on my refuse stockpile...
So far, so good I think. It's been taking longer to set up than I like, but we haven't run into any serious dangers. I am a bit concerned that our food/booze stockpiles won't last. But, hopefully our fisherdwarf will be able to take care of that. Still, I haven't actually -seen- any carp here...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:48:35 pm by The1Kobra »

Baloun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:41:29 am »

Keep it comming please! :)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:27:48 pm »

Okay, so I finally reviewed our plans. And they were NOT kidding about damp stone. After thinking to myself that everyone I take on a future endeavor should have at least minimal mining proficiency to speed up the initial digging, I take a look at our map above when I finally go through the reports...
It means that if I'm not careful with my digging, then I could flood out my fortress if I'm not careful. A bunch of ideas came through my head at that, incidentally. I could use the water as a weapon to defend the fortress, as a poor dwarf's magma. I could try and farm the place out, or I could use it as a storeroom, temporary or permanent.
FYI, you are ok to mine out that damp stone on your main fort level.  Even though it is underneath the murky pool, as long as the murky pool has a "floor" on the z-level above (which it does), water will not drop down.  You'll have to designate every one of those remaining tiles twice, though, due to the annoying message.

As for your farm plot area, did you leave any murky pool tiles remaining on the level above?  If so, they will generate more water when it rains, and you'll get a little extra irrigation.  You might want to channel out all of those pool tiles and build a floor to keep flying monsters from entering your fort that way.

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:25:33 pm »

Hm, I suppose I could try mining it out, gives me some extra storage space. Still, for the moment, I have other priorities.
There's still murky pool tiles remaining, yeah. I might want the extra irrigation though for expanded farm space. Hm, I'll have to keep that in mind. Wouldn't want any rocs or dragons getting in through my farming tunnels.

-----

I set up a new farm plot to try and get things going. We're falling rather dangerously low on food and booze now, so I need to get things moving before this fortress starves out. To that end, the place I had originally set up as a communal bedroom is now going to be retooled to workshop space. Currently it seems like my dwarves prefer to sleep outside, so it seems like there's no loss.

I set up a farmer's workshop near the farm space. A jeweler's, carpenter's, and mason's along the top in the big room. I also set up a fishery along the south. I hope it won't cause problems.

Sarvesh (the stonecarver/miner with a lot of useful skills), went on break. Blegh, that cuts us down to half shifts. Still, I can hardly blame him, doing so much work and all. Still, it's a seriously inconvenient time.

Of course, when I find out that my dwarves are not tending to the workshops but are instead hauling MORE ****ING ROCK SALT, I have something of a rage spree. So I tell them all to stop ****ing hauling the ****ing rock salt. Gods, it's not like we have a ****ing absence of rock salt. You're even taking up all the damned storage space with the worthless rock salt!. These caverns are MADE out of it damnit! Armok help me get some sense into these dweebs. Soon enough I'm going to find out they all love rock salt and want rock salt toys, hammers, and will find when I have things engraved they are made out of rock salt to pay homage to the ****ing rock salt!!

Got some migrants. A ranger, and a fishery worker, along with five children. What is with fish anyways? Not like we have an abundance of ponds here. Still, may be useful. And maybe I can put the ranger to work in taming those badgers...

Also, looks like the children brought a pet rabbit. I just hope they don't breed to the point of taking over the fortress. 

I end up having to change a lot of job priorities, because the dwarves will just NOT STOP HAULING THAT ROCK SALT!!!! So I change them again, I disable stone hauling on my dwarves an...

oh [BEEEP]
Unicorns.

I have to carefully manage my ranger, making sure he doesn't go chasing after and hunting unicorns. Last thing I need is for him to get skewered and his wife and all of his children to go right on a tantrum spree on the anniversary of their migration to Ilirid. Still...

Damn, brutal towards that poor skunk. Still, gotta feed the family somehow.

Fortunately, those unicorns are staying far away from the fortress entrance and I'm making sure my ranger doesn't try anything fresh with them. Still, I hope they're content to prance about in the meadows and downy grass. I suppose I could make the ranger try and befriend them, but I'm a bit worried that could be a risky move.

The jeweler I started with went on break. Sarvesh the miner is STILL on break, which seriously hurts because the fortress is being dug out at a crawl's pace. Tholtig is still busily digging but there's a lot for just one guy to do, much less a miner who's exceptionally weak and tires easily. Still, it finally looks like my fishing crew is getting to work there. Still, there are some concerns.

For one: It looks like none of those beds I ordered are being made. Same with the farm plots. I figure I'll do what needs to be done and promote someone to manager. Just to make sure stuff gets done. Clearly MY orders aren't good enough for some people. (Jerks)

Since the jeweler doesn't seem inclined to partake in his specialties, and hopefully to smack him out of break, I promote him. It's not like it's a lot of work to tell others to do stuff, right?

13th Malachite, 33
Mining goes a lot more quickly when the guy finally breaks break! Still, I must admit I'm a bit worried about those unicorns now. They're awfully close to the fortress. Still, I've got everyone doing something except the children, and the jobs are queued up and should be ready to go. Currently we have the expedition leader storing stuff in the stockpile, can only hope it's a fish a...

WHY THE [BEEEEEEP] IS IT ALWAYS [BEEEEEP]ING ROCK SALT! WE'RE NOT EVEN IN A SNOWY BIOME FOR [BEEEEP]S SAKE!! Gah, turned off hauling stone for her too. [BEEEP] me sideways. I swear to Armok this fortress has lost SO MUCH [BEEEP]ING TIME TO HAULING [BEEEP]ING ROCK SALT! IT'S YOUR FAULT IF THIS FORTRESS STARVES OUT CARP FIGHTER!!!

Gah... blegh, I go ahead and set up a butcher's, bowyer's, and mechanic's workshop. I want to make sure that we have such ready when we need them. And we likely will need the butcher's workshop at the very least. Bowyer's workshop will also allow our ranger to restock his ammo.
New bedroom is being dug out, and the beds are finally being made.
It also seems that the children have taken to playing with the wheelbarrow. Cute, but I hope it doesn't hamper productivity.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so concerned about those unicorns BTW...:

Makes me seriously wish we had a bonecarver. I just hope this doesn't prompt the other unicorns to a homicidal rage.

3rd Galena, 33
One of the cats adopted one of the children. Good for them, I suppose.

5th Galena, 33
I get the message that: Miner cancels Construct Building: Item blocking site...
then I take a look...
MORE [BEEEEP]ING ROCK SALT!!! IT'S JUST ROCK SALT! MOVE IT FOR [BEEEP]'S SAKE!

I swear, I'm going to get an aneurism because of all this rock salt.

At least the beds are being made, so that will help the fortress sleep. The dormitory isn't complete yet, but I plan on smoothing the stone when it's all ready. Then engraving it. Should keep them happy. Kitchen is still to be made, but I want to get the bedroom first. Better than having my dwarves sleep outside I think.

Ranger ran out of ammo when fighting a unicorn. Pretty gruesome actually. Guy left the poor prancing pony out in the rain in a puddle of his own vomit and gore. And left it pretty banged up. Hopefully that doesn't start a war with the remaining 3 healthy unicorns skewering my dwarves, I've got 2 dogs but that's about it for defense until I get some bolts made.

My woodcutter, ranger, and manager (woodcutter got off break) currently have no jobs, so I set the manager to go hauling stupid rock salt again.
I finally figure to unsuspend the farming job. Bah, Should have known to do that. Rookie mistake really. Also found out I had to go and TELL the idiots to plant seeds. Nuts. Well, it's done now. Lets hope they don't get distracted by Rock Salt again.
Reminds me, I'll need more farm plots in order to make full use of the seeds I have.
I go ahead and build a tanner's shop and a leather works. I'm not sure what the difference is, but oh well. I figure I'll need them at some point. I also get a craftsdwarf's shop, because I'll likely need some luxury for these guys. They earned it with their hard work after all.

Well, except for the guys with no job, or the guys always on break... or the manager.

Still, things are going alright. No horrid disasters yet, or invasions, or (known) thieves. Just a lack of farming. And [BEEEP]ing rock salt.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:27:33 pm by The1Kobra »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:18:21 pm »

This is fun to read!

Also, make sure you get some front doors to the fortress that don't get clogged with beetle remains. That's how my first for went, actually. But first I'd pissed off the elves with a wooden mug.

Anyway, I'd like to congratulate you for learning to play DF with no major mods and no tileset. No-one seems to do that these days...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:39 am »

By the way bud. Don't make stone stockpiles so early. It will destroy you :).

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »

This is fun to read!

Also, make sure you get some front doors to the fortress that don't get clogged with beetle remains. That's how my first for went, actually. But first I'd pissed off the elves with a wooden mug.

Anyway, I'd like to congratulate you for learning to play DF with no major mods and no tileset. No-one seems to do that these days...
Glad to entertain! :D
Yeah, I'll have to get that done, I've got a lot to get done though. Still, I suppose I can get the miners on it when I can.

I wanted to get a good game under my belt before I went into mods, after that... I have some ideas for mods I'd like to make.

By the way bud. Don't make stone stockpiles so early. It will destroy you :).
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit late on that one buddy! But I'll be sure to keep it in mind for future fortresses!

Anyways, to game, things spiral way out of control very quickly.
-----

21 Limestone, 33

Ran into a major problem. We're -out- -of- -booze.-
[BEEEP]
If I don't get moving NOW on getting some booze crops set up, we're all going to be working at a snail's pace here.
I go ahead and put in a new irrigation chamber near the wet rock in the storeroom. Hopefully this will allow for some farming.
In addition, I set up an outside farm plot.
Weather cleared, that's nice. It's been raining since the 5th of Granite, 33. Holy heck, rainy out here.
Plenty of projects are slowing with our critical lack of booze. Ran out of bolts AGAIN, so no hunting. Better hope the fishermen can hold out until we get brewing ready. Oh, out of logs too. Could explain a few things.
Decided to make a still in the workshop space. Not sure what it will do, can't hurt though, I hope.

Here's my new farm plot. Doesn't change that I need to get it moving ASAP. Fortunately we have enough fish and water to keep the dwarves alive, if uncomfortable because of the booze shortage.
Also, it looks like the table I'd originally intended to be a manager's office is now being used for eating. Probably more efficient that way.

Apparently digging out farms is dangerous. Our minor got some severe injuries. He's now unconscious on a floor of rock salt. Evidently the other dwarves are too busy and/or uncaring to tend to him. Apparently that screen underestimates his injuries(actually they're below if I'd have scrolled for the screenshot, d'oh!). His left lung is broken, his left true ribs are broken. Damnit, he wasn't our efficient miner but losing him is going to hurt a lot if he doesn't get healed ASAP. At least he got a swimmer rank. I take him off of duty so he can heal. Seems like he wants to keep being useful anyways though, but I'll keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't overexert himself.

Note for next time, DIG OUT EXTRA CHANNELLING SPACE!

Evidently I didn't mine enough around the farm plot either, since it's flooding over. Damnit. At least we have enough rock salt to prevent it from soaking up the stockpile. I hope.

I cancel the smoothing of the bedroom stone, because the booze crisis takes precedence. Our dwarves are starting to get unhappy with our arrangements. Don't blame em, really.

10th Sandstone, 33
Then this comes.
[BEEEP]

Damnit, one of the idiot dwarves died from trying to drink out of the unfinished channel. Apparently drinking out of stagnant water in an extremely dangerous area is a top priority for our dwarves because it's inside or something and isn't on actual farm plots yet. Evidently drinking out of the OTHER pools of stagnant water isn't a priority (or even FRESH water), despite the fact that you've all been drinking out of them to date. Though I suppose I might blame this on a sober moment, even if it is a fatal one. Still, that's going to hurt. She was married to the ranger and had 5 children, all of whom are going to start throwing fits. I had this lovely (not) blurb to remember her by.

So apparently, the dangerous place she tried to drink out of she admired the lovely waterfall which killed her. I suppose with her meager kinesthetic sense, questionable spatial sense, and very bad intuition, she really SHOULD have been kept well away from there. Especially that combined with a fertile imagination.
RIP Migrant. We'll miss you. You actually did help to keep things going. Despite being too dumb to live, apparently.

The other fish cleaner goes on break (as does the expedition leader fisher soon after). Probably because the other one died (even if it was her own fault entirely). I continue digging out the channel. Maybe if we draw the water away we can get the body back, at least...

17th Sandstone
Got some migrants today. Guess the tale about one of us drowning themselves in a show of idiocy doesn't scare them away.
Another man, wife, and 6 children. Hope they brought a shipment of booze with them.... no, they didn't. Fortunately, one of them is a FARMER! Yipee! Maybe the farms will actually go forward...
Or, no they don't. He doesn't bother working them in favor of other things. Even the one in the back which NO ONE IS TENDING TO!

20th Sandstone
I'm then told that my carpenter has been missing for a week. I hope it's not the same farming flooding accident issue, but it probably is. That or the lack of booze drove him to suicide.

Stockpile situation is getting worse. It's starting to flood out. Compared to the other pool which was tame to the point of not producing enough space for farming, this one is getting horribly out of control. For the moment, it's doing nothing but soaking my overabundant supply of rock salt. But it may get out of control soon. I'm trying to get more flow space. With one miner injured though, it's a difficult task.

I check over those of us on active jobs. Looking at the manager, I find he's on no job. Big surprise, but... this came as an actual surprise.
[BEEP!]

I also find evidence down there that our other missing dwarves had also drowned. That makes four total now. Their equipment as well. Apparently they all followed suit and tried to drink out of the filthy stagnant irrigation water which was flowing out and extremely dangerous. A lack of booze turns dwarves into suicidal idiots. Or just suicidal. They did a good job of killing themselves after all.

Operation failed farm's failure continues to spiral out of control. Seems like we've now lost 4 of us to the damned flooding. It's pretty clear I did NOT dig enough flow space in the rush to get a booze crop going. So I pull a desperate move. I'm going to drain it from the surface level. Hopefully this will stop the massive, and horrible flooding. I'm starting to worry that my dwarves may lose morale though.
Flooding continues to worsen. Looks like my gambit didn't work... and now everything in my stockpile is getting soaked.

Welcome to the Joyous Rocks! Enjoy drowning in miasma and stagnant water when you go on a sober high!!

-----

Okay guys, I played this segment while I was on a train. I got absorbed in it and had to shut down when we came near my stop. Apparently it didn't save :/, so when I next reloaded hoping to continue with this disaster, it reset. So, I'm giving you my lovely audience the choice on what I do:

1: Do it again!! I'll go ahead and drown out my fortress again, with no IC clue that it would be a monumental mistake. Some things may be different though with the re-run.

2: It was a drunken sober delusion! Play again from the end of part 3.

3: The experience has been corrupted! Terminate the fortress and say that it went down in a fantastic tantrum spiral. I'll even write an epilogue of Ilirid's fall, even though it won't have happened mechanically in game.

Sorry this happened. I'd really like to continue from the end of part 4, but eh. Guess I'll remember to call it quits sooner if I play on a train again.

EDIT: Fixed images. FOR REAL THIS TIME.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:00:19 pm by The1Kobra »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 12:52:43 am »

I vote 2. There's no point in repeating mistakes, or ditching the fort because you made a mistake.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:59:30 am »

great job for your first fort!  Good luck :D

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 11:08:19 am »

This is good stuff, man!
I vote for 2.

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 01:22:31 pm »

2 it is! Thanks for your input guys! Sorry I'd taken so long to get this latest update. Kinda went on a holiday. Oh well, here's the update, in all it's glory and especially it's horror!

-----

15th Limestone, 33
GaaaaaaaaAaaaaAAaaaaH!!

I wake up from slumber, hoping that the sober pangs will be better from sleep. But it just gets worse. I had this horrendous nightmare about our fortress flooding and our dwarves drowning when trying to drink from dangerous flowing water. I told one of the miners who's currently smoothing the bedroom of my dream... or was it a vision? Armok help me, maybe it was a divine inspiration.

I know for one thing. I AM NOT GOING TO DIG INTO THAT WET ROCK IN THE STOREROOM! Lest my vision come true...

Guhh... still doesn't avert the fact that we're in something of a crisis here. We're out of booze and if something is not done and FAST then progress is going to slow to a crawl while my dwarves go on insane rampages.

We have sunberry seeds. They can be used to make some potent liquor, one of the reasons I chose this place on my embarkation. The bad news? Has to receive a lot of sunlight to grow, AKA no underwater farming. I could set up a rig but that would take too long and this will have to be taken care of ASAP. I'll have to hope an aboveground farm is safe enough and that my dwarves don't get ill from being outside too long. I give the channeling orders.
Fortunately we have enough food that we won't die, but will feel like doing so just to keep the sober pangs away.

28th Limestone, 33
Weather cleared. It's been raining since the 5th of Granite, 33. Wow. That's a lot of time spent with CONSTANT RAIN. Maybe they should have called this place the soaked rocks rather than the joyous rocks, because frankly none of us are jumping with joy because we have no booze!!

7th Sandstone, 33
My miner spilled the water over into our new irrigation ditch. He didn't get himself mortally wounded, thankfully. Still,... looks like we need more irrigation space. Too much water to farm it our right now, so I send him back to do more. It's urgent we get this sun berry crop up ASAP. I get both my miners on it. I need to move my pasture out to do this though.

8th Sandstone, 33
Started raining again. Why always the rain!?... No wonder we need more space with all this rain.

17th Sandstone, 33
We've got some migrants... hope they brought a booze shipment... but upon further examination, of COURSE NOT!
A fishery worker, 2 farmers, and a peasant. YES! Means we might actually get to growing sometime!
Here's our new retinue:
Cilob Shipoils: Novice Fish Diessector, Fish Cleaner, Cook, Fisherdwarf, Shearer, Presser, Dabblign Persuader, Negotiator, Judge of Intent, and Liar
Rakust Gravelstrap: Novice Brewer, Dyer, Presser, Dabbling persuader, Negotiator, Judge of Intent, Liar, Intimidator, Conversationalist, Comedian, Flatterer, and Pacifier.
Oddom Plungegold: Novice Butcher, Shearer, Beekeeper.
Rigoth Melbilusen: Competant Macedwarf, Shield User, Armor User, Dodger, Dabbling Persuader, Negotiator, Judge of Intent, Intimidator, Conversationalist, Comedian, flatterer, Consoler, Skilled Tracker...

Hold on a second, that guy's a peasant?

Well, with a beekeeper, it means time to get to work on some beekeeping. Lets see, we'll need a hive. I need to get this going, least of all because of MEAD!

Farm plot is nearly ready. Water is at 1/7, so should be good to go. Now to just make the plots...
Never mind. They suspend it because of the trace of water. Guess I'll have to have it drained.

8th Timber, 33:
YES! Plot is ready! Now to do some hardcore planting. GET ON IT FARMERS!

9th Timber, 33:

First invasion! I'm not ready for this!!
Then this happens...
Pff,... HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!
Oh, sorry, I lost the image because I was too busy laughing so hard! But here's what happened, before the werebeast is able to get to the fort, she reverts back into human form, all confused and frightened, not to mention unarmed and unarmored.
Still, we've gotta kill this guy before he comes back. So I sic my macedwarf on him.
But she fled before we could smash her.

Okay, that shifts priorities. After we get the booze ready, we're getting traps, crossbows, and a killer squad of marksdwarves ready...

But finally,

YES! We have a drink! It feels so good!... doesn't look like it will last though... We only have one... SAVOR IT DAMNIT!!! Oh, and of course dwarves don't feel like sharing. Bastard of a brewer.

23rd Timber, 33
Outpost Liason comes, not much comes of the meeting though.

Winter comes, I'm digging out some new things and finishing the kitchen up. The farm for some reason STILL isn't going. Not sure why.
Carpenter keeps running out of logs, not sure where they're going. Gah...
I also put some orders to use some of this stupid excess rock salt. For what, I don't know. Various stonecrafts. Maybe even trap components, hm...

9th Moonstone, 33
My fishermen report there's nothing left to catch in the central swamps. Were they seriously fishing in a ****ing swamp!?... still, that's going to be problematic, I hope our stores last until we get some food ready.

The ambassador asks me what I would like for the next meeting. I put in a large order of booze. Unfortunately he doesn't have bees. Shucks. So I put in an order for some wooden logs. Will help my carpenters keep going. Seems like he's going to charge me extra though. I'd insult him but he should be bringing me needed supplies.

19th Moonstone:

There's miasma literally pouring out of the butcher's shop and driving everyone else in the workshop space crazy. Apparently 'work appropriateness' has no meaning to the dwarves, like not leaving stinky stench to rot in the butchers shop next to where everyone else is trying to work. Fantastic truly.

24th Moonstone:

Our Herbalist got taken by a fey mood. Joy. Here's wondering if he'll come up with some kind of smokable herb. Armok knows I might need it with there still being no booze here. Speaking of which, I've continued to expand my outdoors farm plot. We're still not getting the booze we need though. You'd think that 'hello sunshine!' would motivate these guys to actually get their fix, but apparently not, even though access to Sun Berry booze was one of the reasons this site was chosen.

He took over the craftsdwarf's workshop. Damn. And here I was hoping he could actually make some artifact booze. I'm getting the withdrawal pangs already!

27th Moonstone:
MORE [BEEEP]ING MIASMA!!!!!
Okay, I'm seriously going to have to move the butchery. Fortunately it doesn't stop that fey mood but seriously that can't be pleasant. I'm going to have to move it to somewhere in the kitchen because apparently whomever our fishery worker is thinks it's hilarious to leave smelly rotten fish for us all to breathe in. [BEEEP] him. I know we DON'T HAVE BOOZE! DEAL WITH IT! OR BETTER YET, GET THOSE CROPS IN!!!

3rd Opal:
Still a fey mood. Still miasma. Guy wants wood and silk cloth. I hope we have silk cloth. Also, why the [BEEP] do we have a rotten opossum corpse in our underfarm!?

12th Opal:
The merchant caravan never left it seems, despite being on the edge of the map. The Merchant got stricken by melancholy around the same time his Yak Bull went berserk. FYI: The Yak Bull was his animal, so I suppose if he's melancholy his best way of suicide will be to get skewered by his own animal. I'm not sure why he's been standing around for DAYS just WAITING to go insane, but if that's the case he probably doesn't deserve to live anyway. Can you leave me all your stuff? Thanks. Oh, and you can take the berserk bull with you. Because my idiot dwarves still haven't produced any bolts for our hunter.

I continue to look at them but it seems they aren't killing each other. Then my dwarves come rushing over to inherit his stuff, but they're interrupted by the berserking animal.

15th Opal:
Mr Strange Mood finally began construction, good, because he is very quick to anger and is equipped with an axe. So if he went ax crazy he'd probably end up taking down most of the fortress with him. Crisis averted on that end anyways, my dwarves are still being kicked around by that Berserking Yak Bull. So I send my macedwarf to kill it's ass.

Of course, when he gets there, he doesn't bash the damned thing in. In fact, it seems like they're all intent on doing nothing.

19th Opal:
Well, the strange mood construction is complete. A feather wood ring laced with silk. So useful. Maybe we can trade it away. Still, we now have a legendary wood crafter. So yay. And he also didn't go berserk with him being very quick to anger and slaughtering us all. So, that's a plus.
My dwarves are still being interrupted from their tasks by that berserking Yak Bull, which is part of the merchant caravan, and quite a distance away from our fortress. I haven't a clue why the hell they're even bothering. Just let him trample his melancholy companion already! Insane dwarves are pretty much dead already.
At least my soldier is killing him. He's taking his damn time though. He's been beating him senseless for days now and yet still hasn't splattered the bull's skull open. What's taking him so long? Booze withdrawal?
He'd better have legendary combat skills after this. I start to wonder what's taking him so long when I look at his inventory...
And find that he left his mace at home.

WHAT THE [BEEEP]?!?

Okay, seriously, I assigned him a weapon, he even started with the skills needed for one. So WTF? And now I find him beating the Yak to death with his fists. He's thirsty and tired, but thankfully not wounded. And frankly I'd be thirsty and tired too if I was beating a berserk Yak Bull to death with my fists. Of course, the wrestling match is still causing a huge amount of blood and job cancellations. Apparently they have nothing better to do than to watch dwarf vs bull. Though to be fair, it's probably the only entertainment to have for miles.

And, it's the 23rd of Opal now, and he's STILL fighting the thing. That's more than a week now.

Actually, that's not all. Apparently my MINER decided he should go bull wrestling instead of my MACEDWARF. I'm just not sure where to begin on this one,.. other than bashing my face against rock salt. Over and over again.

Okay, time to get serious. I pull him off ASAP. Which means I have no one to get rid of the stupid Yak Bull. I have some crossbows and bolts made so hopefully I can have some defense against something that is more dangerous than a Yak. I still need to kill that thing though, because this is Bullony.

I assign my ACTUAL macedwarf some gear so we don't have our valuable miner beating insane bulls with his fists. Even if he did get this out of it:
Yeah, took a level in minor badass. Lol.

3rd Obsidian:
The Yak bull is dead. IT ONLY TOOK TWO WEEKS!
We are so dead if a real invasion decides to pay us a visit.
I also find that a lot of the production orders I put in aren't being done. The hunter still has no bolts, stuff isn't being made. I take a look and find that the manager hasn't approved of the productions. SINCE WHEN DID I NEED THAT IDIOT'S APPROVAL!?... gah. Now we're not going to have the necessary stuff made. HELLO! ONE OF MY PRODUCTION ORDERS IS “BREW DRINK!!”, why would he even need to approve that one?!? He also hasn't approved the production of wooden barrels FOR the drink. I need a freaking drink...
Oh wait, we don't have any... I think I'm just going to go collapse into a heap for now. Maybe my head will stop pounding when I awake, and I'll be in a nice, lovely place with smoothed, engraved stone and some good booze. Urrrghhhahhghhh...

-----
Actually, this part happened because I went AFK and left the game on for a while. And am surprised by what I get back to. ^.^. Back IC!
-----

Okay, so I passed out, woke up a few days later. Okay, more than a few days.
28th Granite:
Everything's gone more to hell when I passed out apparently. No one's bothered to wake me for more than a month.
The guy we sent to beat the yak bull into submission went insane, stricken by Melancholy on the 4th of granite. Apparently he's been hungry, dehydrated, and drowsy since he beat the Yak bull to bloody death. This is bad, considering that he's got quite an extensive relationship list. A wife, who's our herbalist, 4 children. I'd better make sure they stay happy too.

Meanwhile, one of the children got struck with a strange mood, he's gone secretive. I just hope the kid produces something useful and doesn't go insane.

On the plus side, we've looted everything the insane dwarven merchant brought with him. So that gives us some stuff.

I put a clothier's workshop in the workshop space and a farmer's workshop near our aboveground farm.
I look to our dining area and notice that the place is littered with vermin remains. I honestly don't know why they're there. Did someone haul them in? Seriously, that's not our refuse stockpile. It's UP THERE! Does seem to be overflowing though... so...

Moody child took the craftsdwarf's workshop. Seems that that one's a popular one. Means we won't be having any more bolts made though until the kid is done.

They're cancelling brewing because of a lack of storage items. So, I'll do what I can to rectify that. Of course, it WOULD BE NICE IF OUR LEGENDARY WOODCRAFTER COULD GET TO WORK! But instead he's planting seeds instead of working on his legendary crafting. I pull him out of that and tell him to get to work on the barrels. He should be able to use the carpenter's station while the moody kid has the craftsdwarf's shop.

Then I hear this:...
Uzol Odgubmomuz, Dwarven Child has created Zengod Gosmer, a groundhog bone short sword.
That kid seriously needs some counseling. Though she is now a legendary bone carver. Still, bonecarving when she's ruled by irresistible cravings and urges seems like a rather creepy combination.  Oh, and she's EIGHT YEARS OLD!

Oh, and her artifact:
This is a groundhog bone short sword. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of groundhog leather. This object is adorned with hanging rings of groundhog bone. On the item is an image of five-pointed stars in pig . ail fiber. Zengod Gosmer, The Dignity of Umbras.

Huh, that sounds like something a kobold adventurer would live for. How cute. I have to wonder if she'll pretend to be a kobold hero with an artifact bone weapon that goes around stabbing goblins and hugging people.

Anyways, to more important matters, some of my farm plots got cancelled. But I've got more than I really need. So whatever.

11th Slate:
Insane Dwarf died. Found dehydrated in the hall. I order a coffin made so he doesn't come back as a ghost to kill us all. Spouse is very unhappy, to be expected unfortunately.

Dwarves continue to cancel the drink brewing because of a lack of storage. Just great, really, that we have no storage. Can't jury rig one of our barrels... this is starting to turn out to be a disaster.  I set the making of wooden barrels a repeated priority. It seems like going through the workshops is better than going through the manager. Oh, it's been 6 days and the guy's corpse is still in the hallway. Someone do something about it?!?...

24th Slate:
Rock coffin is being made though, finally.
The pet rabbit the kid has has grown up. Cute, really.
Still, we have a lot of very unhappy dwarves and it's not looking like it's getting any better. Just wish we had some BOOOZE!.

It also seems like some rock salt mechanisms were finally made. So I'm going to put some boulder traps in. I'm also going to make some coffin space for our recently departed, and STILL IN THE FREAKING HALLWAY! By Armok, you'd think the weeping widow would have moved the corpse at least.
Also, turns out we have some barrels, so I went ahead to place them down in the kitchen. Hopefully we can get started on booze making soon. I swear... why the dwarves can't do this on their own... well, I suppose that's what my job is after all, right?

28th Slate:
Migrants arrived, thank Armok. Oh, they're going to be greeted by the corpse near the kitchen. It will make for a fun tale! I promise!
One is a competant macedwarf, and some other combat skills, including siege operator. I'm guessing I'm going to make him my new guard captain. And hopefully he won't go insane after fighting a Yak. His partner is a ranger, hunter, marksdwarf, animal dissector, not too many skills but at least they're fresh. I suppose I can make them my initial soldier dwarf unit and all that. That and she has some much needed bolts for our hunters.
Also, the dead guy's corpse has started to rot and make miasma. Fantastic. At least the coffin is ready now. I mean, get a move on burying him NOW! I decide to retool what was originally going to be the bookkeeper's office to his tomb.

Aaand our migrants come in, GREETED BY THE MIASMA! How do you like THAT for your first impression? Next, we're going to tell you there's no booze. Then, we're going to make your life miserable by drafting you to our armed forces, force you to fight insane Yak bulls that merchants come by with, then the merchants go insane so we wait for them to die then take their stuff. And, when you go insane and finally decide to kill yourself, then we're going to leave your corpse to rot in the middle of the hallway just to piss off everyone else who lives here. Like what you heard just now? Sure sounds better than whatever horrible hellhole you just came from, that's for sure! Joyous [BEEEP]ing Rocks indeed!

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »

28th Slate

I have decided that I have had it with these dwarves and all of their stupid antics. So I make the decision that needs to be made. They need to die. All of them need to die. IN A FIRE! But we don't have fire, we don't even have magma! So I'm going to have to get creative. Currently we have a population of 41, 20 children, 6 fishery workers, and 10 animals. Yeesh. We have more than enough food but we're still out of booze. With the recent tragedy it shouldn't take much to spur these dwarves to sheer and utter madness.
First thing I do, is to make an upwards ramp straight up to my garbage dump. Some good, rotting garbage will do wonders for this place's morale. Next, I cancel all manager orders. I also forbid the dead guy's corpse so he can continue to spray miasma everywhere.

We got a new migrant administrator, so I change the bookkeeper to him, that should help induce insanity on our miner and get them to work in digging up the garbage dump. I also decide to set a new refuse stockpile inside our fortress. In the dining hall, specifically.

4th Felsite
I get this lovely message.
Joy. This place's descent to madness is nearly complete! Assuming we weren't mad already.
Apparently, digging wasn't enough, so I delete the other two refuse stockpiles and then decide to order my dwarves to put refuse from the outside in. It's not rotting nearly as much as I would like, but the dead guy's corpse does that quite well, I must say. Still, this isn't enough. So I draft every dwarf I have and assign them to squads.

18th Felsite:
One of the children is throwing a tantrum. Here I hope more is to follow. He manages to hurt my gem setter in the lung. Tough kid Meanwhile most of the fortress is busy frolicing over the dining room garbage dump.

21st Felsite:
The kid calmed down. Oh well. Still, this isn't enough, so I start digging... maybe that vision will be helpful after all...
Yeehaw!
Who needs magma when you can do this?
Apparently, I do, because the water stopped going. And they're drinking it. At least our stockpile got soaked.

14th Hematite
Our Yak Bull and Alpaca have both starved to death. Since they're both in the dining hall...

19th Hematite
More migrants arrived. Apparently I'm not killing people fast enough. So I find some unicorns for my dwarves to get skewered on. Unfortunately, we don't have those, so I tell my people, unequipped and unarmored, to go beat up some badgers. They're going to get so mauled.

25th Hematite
Another Yak Bull of ours starved to death. Yay. However, those damned badgers left the map before they could maul my dwarves. In other news, our miasma factory dwarf became a skeleton, but then the rotten corpses in the dining hall more than made up for it.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

Since my idiot dwarves couldn't even take on a badger though, I disband them all. Hope you like demotions!
Since that isnt enough, I start channelling my flooded hallway. We STILL have no deaths though, more migrants, and the trantruming child even calmed down! You'd think the lack of booze would have killed them by now. Not even serious wounds. Just a ton of job cancellations.

2nd Galena:
Finally! One of these dweebs died!
8th Galena:
Got another one, my Carpenter in the drowning chamber. Well, I suppose drowning has it's uses. Now if only it were magma...

I wonder what kind of tantrum spiral this will bring. Or murderous ghosts.

Seems like the drowning chamber got one more as well. Of course, maybe it was genius in hindsight that made the stockpile only accessible via drowning chamber.

13th Galena:
Lost our legendary woodcrafter. And possibly the artifact. Meh, would be a nice find for an adventurer. But we don't have nearly enough deathtraps.... we do have miasma though!

I got this idea with burrows... what if I make the drowning chamber a burrow for our dwarves, all of them... will they drown in it?... I hope.
No, they don't, none of them go to their watery demise after I assign the burrow. Sigh. Water < Magma. A lot. We haven't even had any tantrums...

Err, wait, had a child throw a tantrum again. Only lasted a day. I give up. I figure dwarves resist whatever you try to get them to do, even if it is trying to make them all die horribly. I think it's some kind of dwarven resistance to doing what you want, when you want to hurt them they thrive. When you wish them well they throw tantrum spirals until they're all dead. Maybe that dwarven daycare class I took had a point after all. But I quit. I'm abandoning this place before they figure out I tried to have them all killed and then hammer me into submission. Or they would if we actually had a hammer. They'd probably drown me. Ingrates. Can't even use magma. I'm out of here and NEVER coming back.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:46:51 pm by The1Kobra »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 01:39:16 pm »

This is fun! Some generic advice on rock stockpiles - make a few wheelbarrows, and assign them to the stockpile (you have to do so manually). When you do that, the amount of wheelbarrows assigned will determine how many dwarves can be filling it. So even if you have a large stockpile of the most common rock, with 1 wheelbarrow only one dwarf will be filling it at a time.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: [1] 2