Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ilirid - Newbie's First Fortress!  (Read 2321 times)

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ilirid - Newbie's First Fortress!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:44:40 pm »

Glad you enjoy it! On a side note, this fortress is in a pretty remote location. I didn't realize that when I made the site, but that means no humans, goblins, kobolds, or magma fodder elves. I hope that there will be a healthy dosage of FUN when I dig too deep...
Still, I might go a while chronologically because nothing too insane happens. Hehehehehehhhh... (On a side note, if this were a more dangerous locale, the fortress would probably have been wiped out a while ago.)

-----

Okay, my brewer keeps complaining there isn't enough storage space to make booze. Despite the fact that we have barrels aplenty anyways. But apparently they won't do things like take the few seeds out and fill it with booze. That would be too much apparently. Barrels won't do, it seems. So I go to make some large pots and mugs. Out of rock salt FTW. Have fun drinking out of that one. Hope you like salty booze.
I found out you need to ASSIGN beds to people. Of course, I have like... 17 beds and 41 dwarves. So I go ahead and order more to be made. I assign the beds to some of my miserable dwarves, but I keep some open because we need the FFA arrangement in order to properly make sure everyone has a comfortable shift. I also go ahead and expand the sleeping area.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
5th Felsite:
We finally buried the dwarf who went melancholy. That should prevent us from all getting as insane as he was from miasma.
I also go to make some more offices. I'm also going to make a more elaborate burial hall, I'll make it span multiple levels to accommodate more dead.
Apparently, no one's making the rock salt pots because one of our rangers is asleep in the craftsdwarf's shop. Good thing I ordered another made.

23rd Hematite:
It's been SO long, but finally...:

YES! YES! YES!!! BOOZE!
Also, for some reason. I find this absolutely hilarious.
Things have been quiet so far, going well. I'm going to need to make more beds to accommodate our population, now at 49 I think. Means the dormitory is being expanded.

7th Malachite:
I got the message that Geshud Inodonol, Fisherdwarf has been missing for a week. Likely means dead.  And [BEEP], that's my EXPEDITION LEADER. We don't have a military. I really should get one together, but with the way things are we need our dwarves producing stuff.
We got some new migrants. I think it's time to get a workable defense force ready. We got lucky with that werebeast but we may not do so again. I also, looking around the fortress surroundings, find some forbidden bolts lying around from missed shots. I unforbid them.
I also go ahead and add some more stonefall traps, that makes 6 now.

17th Malachite:
I found Geshud. She's dead. Drowned, in a place with only shallow water and no carp. I think I have a migrane from trying to figure out how she managed that, but then I read this...:
She has gone without a drink for far far too long.
This is a shame because we actually have booze at this point. But apparently it was too much for her and she must have committed suicide. I can't actually reasonably fathom any other reason she could have drowned.
Anyway, a new expedition leader has been chosen, because our other was too dumb to live. He is:
Stakud Inkedattacks. Competant Swordsdwarf, Novice shield user, armor user, great fish dissector, novice butcher, milker, adequate grower, Adept persuader, dabbling Negotiator, Judge of Intent, Intimidator. Master Conversationalist, Adept Flatterer, Consoler, Novice Tracker.
Well, he certainly has a lot more in the way of skills than my last expedition leader.
He is married to Zasit Halegravel and has 6 Children.
He likes Alunite, Silver, smoky quartz, gray langur leather (what is that?), the color lavender, high boots and blind fiends for their rhythmic undulations. (Okay, I'm starting to get worried here). He likes Oyster, Sun Berries (who doesn't?), Tuber beer, and one humped camel's milk. (So he likes good aligned deserts?) He absolutely detests lizards.
He has great analytical abilities, but he has poor creativity and very bad intuition. Uhh...
I also read in his personality that he's concerned about rejection and ridicule, yet dislikes helping others or comprimising with others. He is compassionate. Wait, what?...

20th Malachite:
A child Rigoth Lenodzaneg is hosting a party, probably in celebration of our dead expedition leader. She must have been one heck of a bitch. Oh well, at least this should keep morale up.
I finally decide to draft something of a military here.
It's a squad of 6, 5 marksdwarves, 1 speardwarf. I don't take them off of civilian duties though, since they're primarily comprised of my hunters and I don't want my fortress to starve. I also give my militia captain the artifact bone shortsword. Mostly for sentimental value.
I also trap the entry more heavily. 6 Stonefall traps and 6 cage traps. That SHOULD handle most standard threats. Along with our military I think we'll be okay. Still, I might want to re-design the walling arrangement so that the traps can more easily fit the corridor. Recall when I started I was in a rush to get the rooms set. Now... it seems like the line of traps just won't hold against a serious invasion force.

20th Galena:
One of my new marksdwarves became attached to his steel crossbow. Too attached I think...
Good gods, here I thought badgers were the vicious ones.

1st Limestone:
A child organized a party at oaken table. Sounds festive alright. I'll just have to make sure the drinks keep flowing. I also find out I don't have enough cages for a cage trap. So I'll just replace them with stonefall traps. I have more rock salt than I know what to do with anyways.
Population is 67 now. I don't have nearly enough beds or coffers for all of them. I need to prioritize the basics. I wish I had more than 2 miners/engravers/stonemasons, because it feels as though that stuff is nowhere near getting done.

7th Limestone:
My brewer says he doesn't have any distillable items. I hope those farms have been paid attention to.... I do have 19 of them after all. Problem is I only have 6 drinks according to my bookkeeper. We've got everyone we need for this whole operation but I'm not sure why the chain has stopped now.

14th Limestone:
Seems like brewing is resumed.

16th Limestone:
We had a stray goat kid starve to death in the dining hall. Uh, what? Hold on, I set up a huge grazing pasture outside! Gah. Might as well butcher the thing before it starts spewing miasma all over the place.
My farmers also complain they can't farm because there's too much excess water from the rain. So I go to dig out more in my above ground farm. I try to make a seperate drainage area so hopefully that water will be manageable for good.

14th Timber:
While expanding the aboveground farm, it collapsed. Remind me to use channel in the future. At first I thought it would be a total disaster (miner got KOed), but thankfully the deepest water there is 3/7, so he was fine after the initial shock. Lots of dead grass around but no significant damage really. I'll have to be careful with my channelling so my dwarves don't drown.

17th Timber: An outpost Liason arrived. I -hope- he's not too pissed about what happened to the other merchant.. *cough*.... I also promote my jeweler to a broker... now to see how diplomacy goes.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:47:12 pm by The1Kobra »

The1Kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ilirid - Newbie's First Fortress!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:06 pm »

Well, they do have some good stuff... unfortunately I don't have a lot to trade. Thankfully I have a steel and an iron anvil, so I can ditch the iron one without too much fuss. I don't have magma for a forge yet anyways.

Since what I mostly need is for my farms to get going, I ask for some sweet pod seeds, cave wheat seeds, and plump helmet seeds. He brought plenty of alcohol but, I no longer really need it. Unfortunately, my farmers have been mentioning they need Potash, but we don't have any. Still, the seeds are worth 240, so my broker tells me. Hm... unfortunately the anvil and marquise cut yellow gem we have are only worth 152. I'll have to forego the cave wheat seeds it seems, since that's worth 140 on it's own. Wanting to keep good relations, I offer some rock salt. Have fun with that one.

15th Moonstone:
One of the children grew up, has nothing but social skills so I assign him to mining. We DESPERATELY need some more miners here.

The outpost liaison asks what we need. I honestly can't think of anything we need too desperately. Except Potash. So I put that out on my request list. Odds are I won't have needed it next year though.

24th Moonstone:
One of my fisherdwarves gave birth. That will likely put her out of work for a while, but eh, we have too many of those anyway. Fisherdwarves that is. I do notice that my dining hall is rather cramped though...

11 Opal:
Astesh Olinedem, Dwarven Child, got taken by a fey mood. Huh.... I wonder if we'll have a second legendary bonecarver that won't do anything else for several years... hm...
The merchants from the mountainhome also left. They led their wagons right through my overly flooded farms. Have fun soaking your goods.

Well he did just claim a craftsdwarf's workshop. Fortunately I have another that will allow production of normal items...
No, he just grabbed some wood. He is however, quick to anger, so if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll likely berserk.
Now he just got some wombat bones.
Uh oh, he's demanding gems... crud. We don't have any. So I order some rock salt cut. Have fun with that one kid!...
Oh crud, both of my jewelers are attending a party. I pull the guy making bone bolts, who isn't a bonecarver but a gem cutter, and disable bonecrafting for him.

Kid is screaming for cut gems, logs, tanned hides, rock blocks, bones, rough gems, and... what is he making anyways?
I order some of the things made. I hope we're able to do so before he goes berserk.

I had a stray reindeer bull starve to death. Maybe that will provide the leather needed...
No, of course not, they take it to the refuse stockpile instead.

12 Obsidian:
My dwarves started to engrave the walls of the bedroom. It's pretty horrifying actually.
I'm not sure what my farmers are doing. Sometimes I wonder if they're actually farming anything.
I cancel the smoothing and engraving orders to hopefully give my farmers more space.

1st Granite:
Uh oh. The child who had a strange mood went insane, and has gone berserk!
He goes around chasing people in the workshop space, then attacks people in the storeroom. Holy ----, that's one vicious kid. Attacking with his bare hands too.

Time to stop kidding around, I sic tell military to detain him.

Evidently dwarven for 'detain' is 'beat the hells out of until they have blood all over the place.' He died in the storeroom, bleeding to death. RIP Astesh Olinedem, failed to create his artifact and went on a berserk rampage. That's some seriously brutal child handling there.

His victim, Risen Sodudib is less than happy lately. Apparently he was a friend of the deceased before he was clobbered by my military. The militia captain was even more upset, since the berserk child was his nephew. And he totally just killed him. That really worries me about my choice of militia commander. Although, when I look in his profile, it says he was upset about being relieved from duty. Huh? I never relieved him from his captaincy, he's still militia commander. I wonder if it's an artificial happiness decrease that comes from killing one's own relatives.
No wait, it says that about all the dwarves who partook in attacking the berserk kid. That they're upset about being relieved from duty. (Except the slackers) Huh?

Still, I don't want my militia commander going on tantrums and going berserk himself, so I order his room to be engraved. That should help.

In other news, the bedroom is nearly done. Hopefully we'll be able to house all our dwarves until the next migrant wave hits. I just hope that the dead kid doesn't result in a tantrum spiral...
Pages: 1 [2]