Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is best Korea

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Bay12 propaganda appreciation: North Korea edition  (Read 16327 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 propaganda appreciation: North Korea edition
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 10:42:12 pm »

I take it that is the one where America is a giant wolf who rides a robot dragon and South Korea are infinitely more competent than North Korea?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »

I take it that is the one where America is a giant wolf who rides a robot dragon and South Korea are infinitely more competent than North Korea?
Yep. They even have a "YOU SHOT MY FATHER" moment. America has weasels. Fuck yeah weasels.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »

And now I wonder what the birdlife there is like.

Clearly it doesn't taste very good.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

North Koreans at the DMZ next to ROK and US soldiers. US and ROK soldiers at the DMZ are all at least 6" tall and DPRK sends its best fed and healthiest soldiers to keep good image. What is little known is that the above image is a photoshop by Western media.

North Korea strong.

Kim Jong-Un is the world's youngest head of state at around 30 years old. His public image is the stoic leader, rarely is he seen not being serious.

Kim Jong-Un showing he is a family man by posing next to your typical North Korean family unit. Common features for all politicians.

Ri Sol-Ju next to her husband Kim Jong-Un, out for a nice walk. She represents a resounding change from the attitudes of Kim Jong-Il's attitudes to keep his relationships secret, and represents Kim Jong-Un's readiness to mingle with the people much like his grandfather. Could be an actual change in policies, or powerful propaganda (at least to the North Koreans).

Kim Jong-Un has appeared to make several actions to reign in the North Korean military, removing some great financial benefits for generals, firing one and acknowledging mistakes of his predecessors.

This pic says it all really, Kim Jong-Il would have wanted Kim Jong-Nam to have succeeded him, but Kim Jong-Nam was a bro and screwed everything up by trying to go to Disneyland and doesn't afraid of North Korea.
Kim Jong-Un was considered too young and inexperienced, it was expected he would crumble in short time. He later gets a massive image boost.

Unusual for North Korean media, under Kim Jong-Un they've been more honest about their shortcomings (though brilliantly loud about their gains and still as capricious about their enemies as ever). This is probably in response to more North Koreans having more contact with South Korea / China / the world and becoming aware of their own country's failures. In short, North Korean news hides nothing from you, trust us, you don't want to move away!

Kim Jong-Un is the supreme commander of over 9 million troops, with 1.21 million active soldiers currently on exercise (which is what has everyone worried and watching for a southward march). It was feared he'd be clueless so he promptly set about establishing his reputation as a military leader by attacking South Korea twice (once with artillery, the other by sinking a South Korean ship). In this way Kim Jong-Un is the paradoxical progressive dear leader in the eyes of propaganda - kind and stern, stoic and capable. His cult personality and natural charisma goes at lengths to inspire loyalty in his citizens unseen anywhere except in football fans and anyone who reads gossip magazines.

Kim Jong-Un has also been practicing Mahjong so he can compete with Koizumi's skills in Japan.

-More to come-.
Of all the pictures they must have taken, they choose to publicize these? These people look terrified, and they are probably the "best" of all the photos they took. And yet, no obvious resistance movement in Best Korea...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 11:05:42 pm »

Chances are the people are crying and looking that way because they're being "graced" with the presence of their great leader. If they personally get to meet him, they usually are so happy they cry. It's really fucking weird.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 11:16:31 pm »

Chances are the people are crying and looking that way because they're being "graced" with the presence of their great leader. If they personally get to meet him, they usually are so happy they cry. It's really fucking weird.
Cult personality figure ramped up to 11. They really love their leaders.

That isn't to say they haven't released a few of North Koreans being happy n' all without the hysteria and passion.

Guy on the right is stupendously happy, guy on the left looks like he's about to murder the cameraman.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »

Guy on the right is stupendously happy
Or else he's confused.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »

Guy on the right is stupendously happy, guy on the left looks like he's about to murder the cameraman.
Possibly Secret Police, since everyone who goes to North Korea reports that there is always at least one plainclothes that is part of their tour group who avoids being captured on video or photography at all costs. Though that would make one wonder how this picture survived.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 11:41:46 pm »

Peh, I'd wager the average person comes home, complains about the boss to their family and how they have to posture everytime someone has what looks like a camera. You do what you must to keep your family safe and fed without causing too much trouble in such situations. Well, in my mind.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 12:49:49 am »

That first video went from amusing ("All America is impoverished snow") to hilarious ("As you can see, there are no birds. Well, except those birds right there, but, uh. They're... they're going to be eaten Tuesday. Schedules and all") to genuinely disturbing ("As you can see, they're more impoverished than we are and we're giving them food") for me. Something about that last part just crossed the line as far as blatant lies about their overall situation go.

A squirrel and a hedgehog.

What starts off as a metaphor for independent military strength away from PRC made in the 50's turns into a new North Korea Disney clone made in the 90's for children that basically says America will kill all your loved ones and cherish your leader above all.

Hilariously later on the American animal analogues become increasingly more badass when viewed from a Western perspective so alien from a NK audience's values.
I was wondering about that. They gave themselves wussy effeminate squirrels and they gave the loathesome American oppressors badass weasels. Um... this was propaganda from NK indicting the US, right...?

Anyway, I'll have to watch more of that sometime, especially now that it's got (admittedly very patchy) subtitles.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 01:07:37 am »

The weasels are actually supposed to be Japan as near as I can figure. It starts out with the weasels trying to take over the squirrels and hedgehogs land in the beginning, then when Japan is defeated by the Koreans, the wolves come along, who are the Americans.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 01:32:06 am »

Oh c'mon, wolves are like the signal for "Badass and scary but nice deep down". They're pack hunters who will kill you, but they love their families deeply. That covers three good tropes (Badass Family, Jerk With A Heart of Gold, Bad Men Love Their Momas) yet they gave it to their mortal enemies. Truly North Korea is the best Korea not just in leadership but in storytelling.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 01:48:37 am »

i'm pretty sure the dubbing in the documentary is fake. if you turn on automatic subtitles and translate them you get a slightly coherent very different speech.
i feel cheated. of a genuinely entertaining experience. instead, this was merely a deceivingly entertaining experience, i guess

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:51 am »

Finally, a good place to mention this homegrown North Korean videogame that's been lurking among my tabs for a couple months.  Best Korea decided to produce their own version of Crazy Taxi, with no violence and all in-game commentary and direction delivered by a very stiff airline attendant masquerading as a traffic cop.  One wonders who this game is marketed towards, since almost nobody in Best Korea actually has a car.  Heck, you have to collect barrels of petrol to keep your car going, when most 'civilian' vehicles run on wood-burning gasifiers for lack of proper fuel.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 02:39:40 am »

they apparently have an official youtube channel containing among other things five full length films. which one should we watch and discuss first?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10