Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cooking syrup  (Read 1232 times)

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cooking syrup
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:18:45 am »

Some forts, I have no problem cooking syrup; so long as there are barrels of it available, my cooks will happily take a single solid item and 3 syrup barrels to make lavish meals.

Other forts, cooks will refuse to ever use syrup if there is anything else available anywhere on the map.

The only science I'm aware of on the topic is the observation that cooks will always prefer solid ingredients in pots/barrels to liquids.

However, this is not the only factor involved; in fact, I just did an experiment where I made a fort whose sole existence in life was to produce sweet pods and quarry bushes (I used growcrop and fastdwarf if that matters) and try to get cooks to make dwarven syrup roasts automatically.

I placed a ring of dwarven syrup around my kitchen and then placed a stockpile for leaves (no barrels!) elsewhere. Result: cooks always took leaves if they were available.

I tried many different placements for the leaf stockpile relative to the kitchen (and even tried without stockpiles!) -- e.g. to the North, East, South, even a pair of stockpiles to the North and Southeast. Sometimes I linked the piles to the kitchen, other times I disabled the links. I used meeting areas to get my cooks start the cooking task from different areas of the map. But every time, they would simply take leaves until they were all gone.

What do I need to do to do this?

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking syrup
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:28:58 am »

Your syrop problem sound similar to my honey bee jelly situation.  My cooks always exhaust the quarry bush leaves first, then make mountains of tallow roasts (yummy), leaving the jelly for when the larders are bare.  The only solution I found was to disable everything in the kitchen except the jelly, thus forcing them to use it up.  Oddly, they don't seem to have any problem quickly cooking all the booze that I forget to disable.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:51:55 am »

Aah! It's quarry bush leaves specifically that are causing the problem. When I'm out of leaves but have meat and sugar available as the solid ingredient (and not in barrels), my cook will take three syrup barrels (assuming they're the closest).

I'm sure that I've had forts in the past where I could get syrup + leaf roasts without problem, but that could just be faulty memory.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:03:01 am »

Concidering quarry bush leaves seem to be a favourite, and liquids like jelly and syrup are least favourable, I doubt you can force a leaf/syrup mix.  You can provide encouragement, though.  If you did have it in the past, I assume it was a fluke.  The AI coding often has predictable, yet often undesirable, behaviour.
Why do you quest for this specific mix?  Personally, I find a a nice plate of finely minced emu tallow roast, or a bowl of well minced prickle berry stew very satisfying.  :D
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:10:50 am »

dwarven cooks, in general, don't readily take liquid components for cooking - if they have plenty of choice, they'll take something else
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:18:24 am »

Concidering quarry bush leaves seem to be a favourite, and liquids like jelly and syrup are least favourable, I doubt you can force a leaf/syrup mix.  You can provide encouragement, though.  If you did have it in the past, I assume it was a fluke.  The AI coding often has predictable, yet often undesirable, behaviour.
Why do you quest for this specific mix?  Personally, I find a a nice plate of finely minced emu tallow roast, or a bowl of well minced prickle berry stew very satisfying.  :D

Whenever possible, Hurkyl prefers to consume dwarven syrup.  :D The mix with leaves are because the farmer's workshop is less fiddly than the quern (Darn it Urist, I wanted flour, not dye!), and I'm already building the workshop anyways.

When I started, DF, I got in the habit (and have never really bothered breaking it) of cooking all my meat immediately because I thought it rotted even when on a stockpile, and not cooking berries so that I can get seeds.

I recently had a fey mood to mass produce Dwarven Cave Roasts -- quarry bush leaves breaded with a blend of cave wheat flour and dwarven sugar, drenched in dwarven syrup. I suppose I'll have to lapse into melancholy now that I realize leaves will make this too hard to produce en masse. Or swap the leaves for meat or eggs or something.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:44:21 am by Hurkyl »

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:28 am »

dwarven cooks, in general, don't readily take liquid components for cooking - if they have plenty of choice, they'll take something else
Previous science indicated that this was a property of barrels -- cooks will always grab solids from a barrel before taking a liquid. This is solved by not allowing barrels on your raw ingredient stockpiles (except for syrup and alcohol, of course).

Now that I know quarry bush leaves are the problem, I'm getting the behavior I want now. I just constructed an 'assembly line' for my kitchen:

Code: [Select]
ZZZ=====================
ZZZ=====================
ZZZ=====================
   =====================

where the top line was dwarven syrup (with barrels), the second line was dwarven sugar (no barrels), the third line was longland flour (no barrels), and the fourth line was assorted alcohol (in barrels). All four are set to give to the kitchen.

When I set the kitchen to lavish meals on repeat, the cook will take the four closest items -- exactly one from each stockpile assuming they are all full (and aren't restocked unevenly during the process). Despite the fact that two lines are liquid and two are solid.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:54:31 am »

The science of dwarven cooking. I must say I'm impressed. When does the tv show start and who will host it?  ;)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:31:38 am »

Urist McRamsey, Dwarven Chef!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:22 am »

Good to know that apparently leaves are also problematic when trying to cook with liquids. So far i've only seen it with seeds - a cook will go sixty steps to fetch a seed from a bag and ignore the royal jelly next to the kitchen. It can't be because bags are somehow considered 'containers' like barrels - flour and sugar will be cooked with jelly without problems, and they're completely impossible to store outside of bags.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 08:52:30 am »

Urist McRamsey, Dwarven Chef!

As well as Urist "Alton" McBrown, whose experience in the cooking science knows no bounds!  :P

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:35 am »

flour and sugar will be cooked with jelly without problems, and they're completely impossible to store outside of bags.

Thanks for the info.  My honey industry produces a surplus of jelly that's difficult to get cooked.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »

You need to take the quarry bush leaves out of their containers before the cooks will start going by distance alone and not picking the leaves over the syrup wherever possible. You can do this by dumping the leaves but not the bags they're in, but I don't think it can be automated in any way.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.