Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So my cage traps caught something...  (Read 819 times)

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So my cage traps caught something...
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:13:20 am »

One of my cage traps caught a goblin thief, and I'd like to make this guy suffer. How would I make this guy be used for target practice.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: So my cage traps caught something...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:49 am »

Build the cage in an empty room next to another empty room, with fortifications separating them.
Link the cage to a lever; when you pull it, the thief will be let loose so marksdwarves in the other room can shoot it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:39:26 am »

Make a goblin grinder without the grinding parts, and have him run back and forth across your marksdwarves' field of view. Something like this:

Code: [Select]
           +^c+
           +  +
###########+##+
+          + #+
+          + #+
+          + #+
+          + #++++->freedom
+          + #+
+          + #+
+          + #+
###########+##+
           +  +
           +^c+
This is extremely stripped down and not to scale, but what we have here is a shooting platform to the left (fortifications and access not shown) and a looping path to the right. The goblin is dropped where the 'g' is (use a pit with a hatch cover for this), and immediately runs to the right to try and escape. It steps onto the pressure plate (^), which opens the hatch (c), which blocks the path. However, the hatch to the north isn't open, so the goblin runs up there, past the waiting marksdwarves. Once the goblin reaches the pressure plate before the hatch, the hatch opens, blocking that path and leaving only the now-open path to the south. And so on.

You might need some extra goblins to start with. Dwarves always fire at where an enemy is, not at where the enemy will be once the bolt has finished travelling. So while experienced marksdwarves will consistently miss the goblin, novices shoot so wildly that they will accidentally lead a target. Also, keep the route short. The longer it is, the straighter the shot can be.

(The gap between the goblin's route and the wall of the chamber is to allow for bolt collection. You can close this gap and add more floors to the north and south walls if you're swimming in bolt material.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 02:18:52 am »

I simply build a cage in my barracks, attach a lever to it, transfer the prisoner to the cage, (optionally strip him/her of all equipment) and pull the lever.  Not recommended with non-disarmed Anythinglords.  Those guys dodge too many strikes and land too many blows.
...and don't make my mistake of releasing nine goblins and three trolls at the same time.  Oops, civilian casualties! :P
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:54 am »

Since I can't interpret sutremaine's idea. I just built a room split in half by fortifications and a drawbridge so that whenever the prisoners get released the bridge goes up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:30:06 pm »

Since I can't interpret sutremaine's idea. I just built a room split in half by fortifications and a drawbridge so that whenever the prisoners get released the bridge goes up.
A nice description of a goblin grinder may be found on the wiki here. Basically all he is suggesting is to build a goblin grinder with a pit next to it, and then have a walkway for your marksdwarves on the other side of the pit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.