Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: You are King: Chronicles of Nocte - IC Thread  (Read 18987 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: You are King: Chronicles of Nocte - IC Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:47 am »

You may rise Lady Araline. You didn't need to kneel in the first place, we are not in the South. Nor do i fancy people wasting time by deameaning themselves before me.

Logans face was unmoving, the usual scowl, although one might find a sparkle of amusement in his eyes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2013, 11:31:03 am »

"It is very well then, that we live in the North. And what can one do, but serve the Kings Fancy?" She replied evenly enough, standing to attention.

With a the barest hint of amusement glinting in her own eye.

She wondered later, if he had guessed her mind in the matter-kneeling in body, protesting in spirit. Araline thought he might have.

The small *pop* that came from her back (audible in the room to the careful listener) felt truly wonderful, and she was completely loyal once more.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:37:04 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:44 am »

At the hearing of the announcement, Valerian felt proud of himself and gained a measure of respect for his new lord. To be granted access to him and allowed to guard him was an honour for a knight like him, alongside with the 3 parcels for maintenance of guard.

He approached the king after Duchess Blackberry and bowed.
"0Your Majesty, my hammer shall defend your kingdom and your security."

He then stood up to stand next to the king as a bodyguard would do. For that was his job now.

----------------------------------
After the ceremony, Valerian decided to take a look at the shape of the guard and get accustomed with the castle. It was important for him to know every nook and cranny, every passage and entrance to ensure that no one would escape or enter without him knowing. It was as much a spy job as it was as guard one. Still, it was important and Valerian spent most of his day on it.

Only in the late afternoon he decided to stretch himself and give hell to some of the guardsmen by taking them through a sparring session with him. He swung his staff hard, he did not spare anyone the bite of his sword, working up heavy sweat at it. He felt great and expected things to get only better.

Valerian spends some time on exploring and memorizing the castle layout and structure.
Train hammer/polearm combat

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

After the ceremony, Valerian decided to take a look at the shape of the guard and get accustomed with the castle. It was important for him to know every nook and cranny, every passage and entrance to ensure that no one would escape or enter without him knowing.

Araline spotted the eager young Knight checking behind a poorly placed curtain that led into an empty wall later that day. She had guessed his intentions well enough.

"I daresay, Saer Valerian, that is more the fault of a interior decorator with poor taste, than a cunning trapsmith. I salute your dedication to duty, though. I doubt anyone has fully mapped out this place."

She paused a moment, leaning against a nearby wall.

"Our present introductions have been nonce and nil, unless one counts the jeers. For that I do apologize-such marks are oft casually thrown around when beer flows and spirits are high. I'm sure all your parts are in their proper order.

You should know me as Lady Araline Logerhain, Duchesse of Blackberry. Loyal servant-and, I would hope friend-of the King for many years now. Are we well met saer, or do you see me at begrudged purposes?"
She asked, smiling politely.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:04 am »

Valerian turned around and looked at duchesse. He smiled lightly, gave her small, polite bow and replied.

My lady, you do me much honour to grace me with your presence. Its also pleasing to know that you bothered to check up on royal servant like me. And yes, you are quite right that I am in middle of my duties, but I somehow doubt that sparing a moment for you will do me any dishonour."

He paused and took a more relaxed pose, still with a polite smile on his face.

"I assume that I will be obliged to serve you in my capacity as royal guard, will I not my lady? I am not implying anything, gods forbid, I'm simply curious as to the tasks that the king will call me to. However, I noted that you are fairly skilled with a rapier and I heard the tales of your deeds during the war."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »

She nodded to the compliments.

"In the way we serve the King, we are equals at least...

And as Royal guard, I would hope your primary duties include keeping dreadful swooping Nyverns from snatching young ladies from the balustrades, and keeping shallow men in black cloaks with shiny daggers out of the Kings bedroom. If I have need of you for anything else than that, well, I would surely find a reason to knock upon your door some night.

...On a more serious note, be prepared for anything. Logan is fickle and difficult to please. He does not like to bothered with the pettiness of the day to day. Nor should he sully his hand and soul with certain matters-those which now fall in our jurisdiction.

I mean to say-If you or I could spare him some of that weight, we would, wouldn't we?"
She asked innocently enough.

Spoiler: Nyverns (click to show/hide)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2013, 12:31:06 pm »

Valerian thought it appropriate to keep on smiling politely and try to ignore anything that would imply anything indecent. He wasn't about to mess up his first day on something foolish, even though he could not help and entertain the foolishness in his mind for a split second.

He chuckled when she mentioned "nyverns".
"My lady, you found my weak spot. It can be spotted from a mile away that I am hopeless in my chivalry, and would battle such beasts to defend the ladies of the court without a second thought."

He did pay attention to the "burdens" however. He decided to reply to it in the safest way possible still, keeping his calm.

"My lady, my job is to do as king commands. And his command was for me to be a captain of his guard. Of course I will do anything to make his life secure and safe."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »

A split second was more than enough for both of them, apparently.

Her mood only subtly turned darker, but her words certainly did.

"I would expect no less.

Alas, I doubt you will find many monstrous beasts to sate that chivalrous soul...

Long gone are the days, if there ever were, when a man could slay those monsters so easily defined and be called a hero. The War showed me that most monsters wear the faces of our fellow men, and all too often they only fight to defend their own ideals and think we the monsters instead. And behind them are the innocent and the meek, lambs to the slaughter. But, slay them we must, all the same-be they man...or woman. Such is war, and noone has proven wise enough to improve it.

If my conversation does not grow too heavy on your heart, might I ask something personal? If you would-have you taken a life in anger? If many, who was the first? Do you remember? Some men have not, even if they know skill with a weapon, and there is no shame in that.

I have done this, and I do remember..."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:51 pm »

He reflected upon the question, staying silent for a moment.

"I remember myself being in anger, and I remember arguments. and I remember killing others in battle, when it was necessary and needed. But anger was never the reason.
This must sound strange to you, but I've had enough occasion to kill, yet I never took to combat because of anger, even during the war. I remember the atrocities, I remember hating others for it, but what I did was my duty and my following, not revenge or wrath. I suppose my convictions were never one of emotion, maybe because I could ever find emotions strong enough that would convince me to kill."

He fell silent again, his eyes trying to discern purpose in the grey depths of hers. What was she really asking of him?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:19:27 pm by Ardas »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »

Araline nodded, considering his response.

"Lets hope the day never comes when you might need to use those emotions to survive, Saer Knight. I do not imply you have been shielded from some harsher realities, but perhaps you have not yet been tested fully and had those convictions put to a stressing point.

Or maybe, I overreach in coming to my understanding of who you really are.

In any case-I will bother you no more with such troubling words and thoughts, for now. But we will speak again, perhaps longer and more intimately when duty allows us the time. I would gain the measure of your fortitude, and your strength of will-to judge how strong an ally you would make, or mayhaps an enemy.

In poetic terms, I would want to know the heart of you, if I had the fancy to tear it out. That is my duty now, after all."

She retreated back into the hall, with a quixotic smile of her own-such displays she treasured, for many reasons. Her intent was not entirely hostile, but investigative. Half of it was spur of the moment amusement on her part, and he would no doubt tumble her words in his mind for secret meaning and hidden truth. She would see how he reacted, and figure him into her calculations. Politics were more enjoyable this way. It would be a true shame if a weakness was prove a fatal one, and he be made a negative. This half of her who thought these things was cold, calculating, remorseless.

And yet, oddly, the other half of Araline was woman enough to still wonder as she left if he had thought her beautiful. She was still young, after all.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2013, 02:13:27 pm »

As she walked away, he gave her another polite bow and looked as she departed.

Valerian the man was intrigued by that woman. She asked him strange questions, probing him and looking into him. There was a degree of pleasure in being an object of someone's interest and she was unashamed in dropping suggestions and hints that left him more than intrigued. While he was assured in his physical prowess and agility, her handiwork with the rapier, her slim figure and unusual way of carrying herself when compared with more conventional ladies of the court were enough to set his imagination to work.

That stopped abruptly and quickly when Valerian the knight recoiled in horror as he realized that she was not interested in the man, but in the Captain of the Guard and for another reason altogether. He made a mental note to be watchful of the king more than before and to not distract himself with suggestions that meant nothing. Politics were in full swing here, politeness and chivalry would not last long in this environment if he was rash with his behaviour.

Another brief moment was enough for him to collect his thoughts and get back to cataloging the castle layout in his mind. The architect should have been hanged, he thought to himself....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:52:02 pm by Ardas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2013, 05:28:41 pm »

Jarod was in bed when Mathias entered. The Knight looked rather pale, and although he was awake, he made no attempt to get up as the young man bowed. He merely lifted his right hand in an appeasing gesture, indicating to the newly made inquisitor that he could relax.

"At ease... Inquisitor. I have just been informed of the news. The King has done us a great honor in forming this organization - we have much to do as of now. Unless I am mistaken, you are no priest, something which should be remedied quickly enough, if you prove to be competent."

His voice was strangely restrained - the priest appeared to be making an effort not to groan. In the back of his mind, he felt like a fool - while getting up last night and sending the dead on their way had seemed feasible at the time, he was convinced he had caused himself more trouble with all this moving. He should have waited for a man of the Second to come and do the rites, but his zeal had pushed him to act recklessly. Now he paid the price of his impatience.

"I am stuck to this bed for the time being, and getting up takes a strain on my energy. I do not think I will go anywhere beyond the castle's grounds for a few weeks. Until then, you will act as my emissary. Consider this to be a test of your talents.

We have been granted lands. I want you to visit them and report to me of what exactly they contain. I will also want a full report on the estimated amount of mages in each of the kingdom's cities and in the countryside. Do not return until that report is completed. If you are expedient about it, I will make you into a Priest of the Third, and from there on out we shall see what comes next.

And before you leave the castle, find me the King's Hand. I must discuss the powers of this Inquisition with her. If you do not find her, or if she is not available, the King will do; although I would prefer not to have him come all the way to my bedroom for mere administrative talk. It is not for priests to summon kings, not even in these circumstances."

And with that, he weakly waved Mathias towards the door, dismissing him.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37:00 pm »

Bowing again Mathias backed out of the room then began his search for the kings hand, locating her a short time later with the help of a guard Mathias approached and dropped to one knee bowing again.

" My Lady, my master Sir Jarod wishes a meeting with you if you have time to spare, due to his current condition he is unable to come to you and so asked me to convey his request to you in his stead, he is currently in bed recovering. "

Message delivered and anxious to be on his way Mathias rose without waiting for a response and quickly headed into the city.
A short time later Mathias entered the shadier area of town hoping to locate somebody who would have information for him.

Action

Search the shadier area of town and try to locate one of the more influential criminals in the area, stick to the shadows as much as possible to avoid detection. ( +1 Stealth. )
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:44:03 pm by Brood »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2013, 03:01:07 am »

The Chronicler nearly gasped in surprise; he hadn't expected a role as a diplomat. A page, a private chronicler or even an adviser but not a diplomat!

"I-I thank you your grace for such an opportunity. I shall begin work posthaste."

He bowed and went off to seat himself by the side, to watch any other petitioners.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2013, 10:24:33 am »

Araline caught King Logans attention as he retired from his throne that day, smoothly falling in place at his left side-a place she had been longer than anywhere else.

"I have been thinking.

There is some business we should discuss in private...this evening, perhaps over dinner for two? It's a matter of some importance."
She asked in a sweet tone of voice.

The Chronicler nearly gasped in surprise; he hadn't expected a role as a diplomat. A page, a private chronicler or even an adviser but not a diplomat!

"I-I thank you your grace for such an opportunity. I shall begin work posthaste."

He bowed and went off to seat himself by the side, to watch any other petitioners.

She walked behind the skittish chronicler as he took his seat, tapping him on the shoulder. She whispered...

"Congratulations on your appointment, saer. You do your order proud. You know me as the Hand of the King, yes?

Come see me in my suite before sundown-I may have something for you to do as our new Diplomat."

Without waiting for a response, she swept away in a storm of sweet perfume.

"And before you leave the castle, find me the King's Hand. I must discuss the powers of this Inquisition with her. If you do not find her, or if she is not available, the King will do; although I would prefer not to have him come all the way to my bedroom for mere administrative talk. It is not for priests to summon kings, not even in these circumstances."

And with that, he weakly waved Mathias towards the door, dismissing him.

Araline entered in her usual habit later that day, and took a seat by the side his bed. She seemed...unusually sprightly and cheeful this evening, for her normal self. She silently poured a flagon of water from the nearby bedstand and sipped, all before speaking to him.

"What a poor shape you're in, Saer. Would you like me to pour you a tankard of water as well? It should help keep the fever away...

Of course, your bondsman said there was certain business between us, which is why I am here. You seem to be improving, so I'm guessing it's not a mercy-killing you need from me.

What did you want to talk about? Relating to your new appointment, I would guess."
She said, blinking once. She smiled widely, folding her hands in her lap.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:39:49 am by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20