Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: TCFTS- Interest Check and OOC Thread  (Read 4518 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TCFTS- Interest Check and OOC Thread
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:35:47 pm »

In the depths of the void, a meteor approaches an unsuspecting world, bearing upon it six slowly awakening gods. But these are no ordinary meteor, no ordinary world, and no ordinary gods; the chariot which bears you is an absolutely perfect cube of stone and metal, the inclusions of each into the other forming indecipherable glyphs beneath your feet; and although it travels at incredible speeds, wreathed in blue flame, you are unharmed.

Though they knew not the hour of their fate, mortal and god alike have long prophesized your arrival; you are to herald an age of hitherto unheard-of change and strife, even as gods have waged their wars on its surface in times past... but whether you will raise the world into a new age of prosperity and enlightenment, or damn it to unending misery and destruction, perhaps only the Fates could tell.

...Ahh, yes, the Fates... You see, you are not
their gods-  arranged as they are on their Celestial Wheel, exactly one hundred of them; ten lords for each of the ten elements of the cosmos- and perhaps not even true Gods at all, but this is irrelevant: Soon, the Artifact will plunge through the heavens, and smash through the Wheel- and through this disruption, you will infiltrate their world, and the game will be afoot.

You stand, looking at your neighbors on the meteor, each your greatest ally and most hated nemesis, perched atop one of its six faces, completely ignoring the obscene G-forces as the meteor slingshots past the local star, and your destination finally comes into view. One might idly wonder what they'll call you this time; you are nameless (though that will soon resolve itself), but your kind has known many names. Visitors. Shapers. Changers. Invaders. Usurpers.

You have slept for untold ages, awaiting the Arrival, but you must yet wait awhile longer.

This will be similar to god games in the vein of Godhood and Pantheon, and is inspired in part by them. The primary difference, however, is that instead of building a new realm from scratch, you'll be invading an already established world, complete with its own civilizations and history, usurping positions in its pantheon, and likely using both in order to get at each other- though your goals are your own. These first few posts are to gauge interest and lay out the basic mechanics while we finish hammering out some details, so we’re not taking applications quite yet.

Spoiler:  The Elements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  The Celestial Wheel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Agents (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:37:21 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TCFTS- Interest Check and OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:36:04 pm »

A vast blanket of clouds greets you as you finally leave the void behind... and upon entering the atmosphere, the Artifact begins to tumble through the air, glyphs flaring up across its surface as it activates, and flecks wear off of the edges-- not even it can fully withstand the immense forces at play as it carves a furrow through the sky. Within minutes, you plunge into the sea of white...

Then, in a blinding moment of reality-bending might, the Arrival is upon you. Mortal words cannot quite describe the sounds and sensations that batter you in that moment as barriers are broken, gods are struck down, power rushes into you, and, in ways subtle and , you begin to Change.

To mortal observers, it is something akin to an explosion in the night-- the blue light drifting behind the clouds dims slightly, then flares brilliantly as the clouds are expelled from around it, the great fireball only seeming to gain speed as it approaches impact. With each unfortunate celestial being that finds itself in its path, the flaming aura surges in strength.

The howling of the wind and rushing of the flames, and even that intense feeling of raw energy flowing through you as the Anima of the slain Divines meld with your own... somehow, it all seems distantly familiar. Memories flood through you, carried along by the surge of celestial might, and though they’re too fragmented and ephemeral to provide a true glimpse into the minds and histories of the dead deities you will soon replace, you are filled to the brim not only with their godly power, but with all the skill you need to use it, and all the knowledge you need to understand the realm you’re about to fall into.

Though the roaring tides of power surge through you, you may flinch, but you never falter. When your senses clear and the harsh impacts run their course, all you can feel is the twin sensation of the familiar blazing heat of the meteor around you and the foreign current of energy sparking through you. You open your eyes, such as they may be, to look down upon the rapidly approaching landscape, and you allow yourself some time to adjust to the Change.

You will land soon, and you know that by then you must be ready.

Local Races:

Spoiler:  Lorians (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Hachir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Hrakchir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Pangolls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Harpies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Siwa (click to show/hide)

Local Civilizations:

Spoiler:  Tallfang Clan (Blue) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Herali (Maroon) (click to show/hide)

Miscellaneous Information:

Spoiler:  Religion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Aether Wastes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Godslaying (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  The Demon King (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:40:32 pm by HailFire »
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

Game Mechanics
Deep Waters and I will be GMing (though, depending on load, we may seek out a third GM), and our goal is to simulate an entire world to the best of our ability, using random generators to do some of the heavy lifting and cut down on the time we have to spend brainstorming and fleshing things out.

Basic Rules
--We’ll be using RNG rolls to determine results, but numbers for actions, karma, and the like will be implied in our responses.
--Time is measured in Turns (seasons) and Rounds (years), which will be denoted at the start of GM posts.
--Divine and mundane actions exist in the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey space between turns, and have no set limit; the number you can perform will be based on their nature, and how much effort you’re willing to put into them/possible Karma accumulation you’re willing to risk.
--You aren’t limited to interacting with the region we’ve outlined above, where you begin, but exploring further afield will take time, giving potential rivals more time to set up.

Application
Applications will be accepted based on quality, not first-come-first-serve; if you notice others have invested significantly more time or effort into theirs, consider improving your own to increase the chances of you being selected! (though note that acceptance isn’t necessarily based on length either :P)

--We are currently accepting up to six players. If interest holds, we’ll probably add a waiting list; new players will be cycled in per the mechanics of Godslaying, above.
--Every god on the Celestial Wheel has an established true name and role which you will inherit, and will be selected via RNG. If you don’t like what you get, feel free to request a reroll- after the first, you’ll start getting charged Karma to discourage people from fishing for specific roles. (But feel free to take a related or unrelated moniker if you like!)
--This game is not necessarily roleplay-heavy, but good roleplaying can confer advantages, and is required in some cases (such as influencing mortals via direct agents).
--No Metagaming. Punishment for such will be determined by one or both of the GMs as necessary, and Deep isn’t as nice as I am. :P
--Seriously, no metagaming. Hidden collaboration with other players without asking the permission of and informing one of the GMs (with the understanding that the other GM will also be notified in a timely manner) may result in outright expulsion from the game. Further rules and requirements regarding secret cooperation, as well as secret actions, can and will be provided if prompted and when necessary. PM one or both of us if/when it comes up.

Spoiler:  Application Form (click to show/hide)

GMs
Hailfire
Deep Waters

Active Players
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:54:58 pm by HailFire »

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:37:02 pm »

Reserved, just in case.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Once we've gathered enough interest (We plan on having six players, though not on a first-come, first-serve basis), the other reserve posts will be for relevant IC information, applications, and the like.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:49:38 pm by HailFire »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »

...So, what now?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:53:14 pm »

Exactly how much detail do you want for an application of this? How long should a turn post be?

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 03:11:42 pm »

Exactly how much detail do you want for an application of this? How long should a turn post be?

Application information'll go up later today, but we (as Deep_Waters will be co-GMing with me to reduce load, and we may recruit a third later, depending on such) would like you to build reasonably well-rounded characters for both your main character and Archagent- this game isn't strictly roleplay-heavy, but doing so can confer advantages, such as more specific actions generally being more effective (and, as stated above, some level of roleplaying is obligatory for active Agents you use to influence to mortal world.)

There aren't any set requirements for post/turn length, and it'll likely depend on the nature of your actions- but generally, we're shooting for the happy medium between a towering pillar of text and a line or two and a bolded action. Essentially, the more you help us help you help us build a richer game world for everybody, the better. :P

...So, what now?

If there's enough interest in the game to actually run the game (there have been an influx of god/pseudo-god games lately, though we've tried to make this one distinct in several ways), we'll have the rest of the immediately relevant information up in the intro posts within a day or so, so we can start.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 03:11:54 pm »

Look good. I'm in.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:47:21 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »

Alright, I think my diety concept is good enough for me to go in. Are there other spheres than the ten elements?

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »

Alright, I think my diety concept is good enough for me to go in. Are there other spheres than the ten elements?

Yes and no: Everything consists of the ten elements, of which you start out with control over two, but you aren't strictly limited to your spheres- manipulating them is just much cheaper, and less likely to attract attention. And later on, you might gain power over the other elements as you defeat your foes... but, to avoid the OOC drama I've seen in other, similar games (particularly Pantheon; no offense, Ghazkull), Visitors won't be able to directly attack each other (at least at first/without dire consequences/until they defeat all of your followers)

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »

Yes and no: Everything consists of the ten elements, of which you start out with control over two, but you aren't strictly limited to your spheres- manipulating them is just much cheaper, and less likely to attract attention. And later on, you might gain power over the other elements as you defeat your foes... but, to avoid the OOC drama I've seen in other, similar games (particularly Pantheon; no offense, Ghazkull), Visitors won't be able to directly attack each other (at least at first/without dire consequences/until they defeat all of your followers)

As an addendum to this, attacking other Visitors is probably a bad idea anyway, if you think about it. You'll have enough problems once the other Divines catch a whiff of you; you don't need to be squabbling amongst each other at the same time.

Maybe take care of that problem first, hm? :P
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:00 pm »

Humm, this looks very interesting but I think 3 god games might be enough for the moment. Watching regardless. Just wondering - would a dimension-hopping posthuman intelligence (somesort of technological singularity deal) work alongside more traditional gods? Even if mechanically they'd be identical.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »

IN I've wanted to be in one of these, and now I'm going to be.  Get ready for the mechanics of the world to be stretched to its thinest.  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:01:26 pm by alamoes »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:00:36 pm »

Humm, this looks very interesting but I think 3 god games might be enough for the moment. Watching regardless. Just wondering - would a dimension-hopping posthuman intelligence (somesort of technological singularity deal) work alongside more traditional gods? Even if mechanically they'd be identical.

We never said the Visitors were like traditional gods. If anything, we implied something entirely different. :3

That said, fluff along those lines intrigues me personally, but I would have to say that we'll probably need to see the application before we determine that.

Also, this has come up a few times already, so I think I'll go ahead and underscore this: Your associated aspect and element will be determined randomly. You can reroll if you really don't like it, but you'll need to be careful with that. More information will be available in later posts, but it seems like that part of things was glossed over a bit by most.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 04:04:57 pm »

Oooh! A god game! I'll be in this!
Always room for more(as they usually go inactive after a while)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4