Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has science (I) gone too far?  (Read 1957 times)

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has science (I) gone too far?
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:49:38 pm »

I'm just getting back into Dwarf Fortress after a long break.  My first project:  Further mod my mad cows into a complete utility animal.  Well, I've done it.  Boy, have I done it.  I call it the buffalot.  It has adamantine bones, skin, horns, teeth and hooves.  It has many colored wool, it gives milk, it can be trained for hunting or war and can be skinned for leather.  It if fire-proof, paralyze immune, web proof, stun proof.  It feels no pain, cannot get sick, does not sleep, does not eat (technically a carnivore, though you don't feed carnivores), does not exhaust and does not breathe.  Oh, did I mention it spits globs of spinning slade?  Yep.  In testing, I have found it can kill everything but a dragon one-on-one.  Basically, my dwarves are going to be miners and artisans.  No military training will be required (boy, I have a feeling that I'm going to get wiped by a dragon or some random forgotten beast).  I may hyper-train one or two dwarves once my fortress gets REALLY wealthy, and then only with adamantine shield and either scythe, javelin (credit for scythe and javelin to another modder, I forget which) or spear.  Anyway, here's the code for it.  If anyone sees any problems, please tell me.  Also, help with the flavor text would be lovely.

Basically, what it looks like, in my mind:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Code:
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Has science (I) gone too far?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:21:23 pm »

Well, if someone unintetionally harms a cow, it will turn hostile to every singe dwarf and fun will ensue. It has happened to me before, although the cow sadly wasnt an undead beast able to spit slade and stuff.

To be fair havent you missed out webs? The could potentially web stuff and be webimmune. Maybe you could make som complicated webbing machine and harvest silk.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:36 pm »

Ironically enough, I did originally have them shooting web instead of slade.  I could, I suppose, have them shoot web as well.  TBH, however, I don't see the need.  I've never really used silk.

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »

This cow is still quite feeble.
You could also add interaction with syndrome that immediately trasforms any enemy on sight into helpless vermin. Call it "buffalot gaze".
In case I can even help with coding.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:12:32 pm by Dustman »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »

*Pull down sunglasses* Holy mother of god

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »

it just beat my terminator when it was unarmed, once i gave it a steel sword it won every time.
it really is a weak vs more than one attackers with shields.
i can give you the code i used for my T1000 restoring it's limbs.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:46:57 pm »

Oh, alots. Alots are great beats. I like it alot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:17:32 am »

it just beat my terminator when it was unarmed, once i gave it a steel sword it won every time.
it really is a weak vs more than one attackers with shields.
i can give you the code i used for my T1000 restoring it's limbs.

Regenerating limbs?  You don't say?  I would rather enjoy imagining that.  Yes, if you could post the code, that would be lovely.  So, if, as dustman pointed out, the buffalot is still feeble, how may I go about making it more durable?  Also, is there any way that I could make it drop adamantine when it is butchered?  Maybe as a EBO?

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 02:00:33 am »

Regenerating limbs?  You don't say?  I would rather enjoy imagining that.  Yes, if you could post the code, that would be lovely.  So, if, as dustman pointed out, the buffalot is still feeble, how may I go about making it more durable?  Also, is there any way that I could make it drop adamantine when it is butchered?  Maybe as a EBO?

During the body transformation limbs are regenerated as well as any other injury. So I think regenerating code just temporary transforms T1000 to the same creature.
And for butchering check material token BUTCHER_SPECIAL Wiki says "Specifies the item type used for butchering results made of this material."
Try to add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BOULDER:NONE] to INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE material. To make all butcherable parts made of adamantine material become boulders adamantine items after butchering.
OR you can add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BOULDER:NONE] directly after specific materials like [USE_MATERIAL:BONE:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE] in your creature definiton.

For example (altered part of your code):
      [USE_MATERIAL:SKIN:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
            [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BOULDER:NONE]
      [USE_MATERIAL:BONE:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
      [USE_MATERIAL:HOOF:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
      [USE_MATERIAL:HORN:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
      [USE_MATERIAL:TOOTH:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]

Instead of skin you will get adamantine stone after butchering and bone, hoofs, horns and tooth made of adamantine.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:08:21 pm »

Thanks, I'll give that a try after this new fortress dies.  I'm in an awesome location, so I'm remiss to restart again.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:04 pm »

No, I have not gone too far.  I'm not very good at keeping track of my dwarves, apparently.  Five simultaneous kobold ambushes (upwards of 90 combatants) resulted in several dead dwarves, the death of ALL non-combat related pets and the killing of 4-5 buffalots.  I guess that is what experimental forts are for.  Alright, so, any ideas on how to make this thing more invulnerable?  I'm going to take a look at dragons, compare notes and add on regenerating limbs.  I might completely re-construct their body structure, giving them larger horns, claws, sharp teeth, maybe other things.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Dustman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:01:16 am »

Try transform curse I mentioned before.

add this to the creature
Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:RATFORM_CURSE]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Ratform curse]
[CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[CDI:VERB:give a scornful glance:gives a scornful glance:NA]
[CDI:TARGET_VERB:feel miserable:feels miserable:NA]
[CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:20]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:100]

And this to interaction raw
[INTERACTION:RATFORM_CURSE]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:RATFORM]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:victim]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:RATFORM]
[SYN_NAME:ratform]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
        [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:3000]
                  [CE:CREATURE:RAT:NONE]
So far I haven't tested it with RAT:NONE, in case you can change it to any other creature:cast ID.
And if you want to make transformation permanent erase :END:3000 part.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:33 am »

That looks awesome, but I was kind of looking for a more non-magic route; I always imagine dwarves shunning magic (BURN THE WITCH!!!).  And, I found it (with help)!  Earlier, Findulidas mentioned webs, which I insisted I had no use for.  Well, I found the use.  The buffalot can now take on a dragon 1-on-1 easily, hydras in unlimited amounts, probably anything else from vanilla DF.  I also added the buffalot sting, which is an inject, contact or inhaled venom which is a more severe Giant Desert Scorpion venom (bonus, the buffalot AND dwarves are immune to said venom).  With some luck, I'm sure one could take out two dragons at once.  I haven't field tested him yet, though he does awesome in the arena.  I'd still like to take a crack at regeneration, but this will do for now.  Anyway, without further ado, Buffalot v. 2.0!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:54:39 am by Morgorin »

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 11:33:47 am »

I'm bumping this with issues, hoping for some help on these.  As you can see in my raws, I wanted the buffalot teeth to drop as adamantine boulders when butchered.  Unfortunately, I'm not getting anything from them.  No teeth, bones, hair, skin, etc.  Nothing that I edited to adamantine is butchering.  That's problem 1.  Problem 2 is that I can shear the buffalot and spin the wool into thread, but it will not weave on the loom.  I have no idea what I did here.  Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT:  I figured out the wool problem.  I needed this:
[SELECT_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:wool]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:wool]
[YARN]

Still have no idea about the butcher objects.  I tried editing the adamantine raws, but it didn't help.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:18:09 pm by Morgorin »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »

[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:XXX] isn't a real token. Instead what you want to use is the combination of:
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:*reference your body parts you want to drop stuff here]
[EBO_ITEM:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE].

For more notes on how to format the body part references check the wiki.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.