Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod the raws to allow you to take dragons on embark.  (Read 805 times)

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, I can make an elf pet in three seconds and I can't figure out a dragon. ugh.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

This might be because your home civ then actually has to go and get a tame dragon. Just like they don't offer all possible animals (after removing _EXOTIC from their PET tags) due to their geographic location, I imagine they don't automatically have dragons. Perhaps if they got into the "domestic animals - always available" list?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to give them the tag COMMON_DOMESTIC to have them come along at embark. There are two requirements for that to work - the first is that they have PET rather than PET_EXOTIC or MOUNT rather than MOUNT_EXOTIC and the creature must not have FANCIFUL (I think it needs replacing with NATURAL). You might also want to consider removing the MEGABEAST tag; I'm not sure how that interacts with COMMON_DOMESTIC.

It might be worth making another creature entirely ("lesser dragon" or something) to add these mods to; if you change the existing dragon creature definition you're liable to change their behaviour.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and simply remove the "old" dragon from the world too

maybe creating firedrakes? not to be confused with the male duck drake
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to give them the tag COMMON_DOMESTIC to have them come along at embark. There are two requirements for that to work - the first is that they have PET rather than PET_EXOTIC or MOUNT rather than MOUNT_EXOTIC and the creature must not have FANCIFUL (I think it needs replacing with NATURAL). You might also want to consider removing the MEGABEAST tag; I'm not sure how that interacts with COMMON_DOMESTIC.

It might be worth making another creature entirely ("lesser dragon" or something) to add these mods to; if you change the existing dragon creature definition you're liable to change their behaviour.

Thanks! That worked.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This can be both a lot of fun and incredibly dangerous. I modded in a smaller version of the dragon - size of a cat, in fact - that acted like cats in hunting vermin and adopting dwarves. It ended tragically for one rather popular dwarven child when the drakes discovered a goblin kidnapper between themselves and the child they were following. The kid melted, the goblin escaped unscathed, and the world burned in a raging grass fire.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the lesson hard learned in many burning fortress is that if you keep fire breathing pets, you need fire resistant dwarfs

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers

maybe creating firedrakes? not to be confused with the male duck drake

I want to make fire-breathing ducks and have them guard a fortress now.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

give them [WAGON_PULLER] and remove that tag in horses yaks and mules. Now your embark will begin with two free dragons.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability