Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Think for Themselves  (Read 1704 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Think for Themselves
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:18 pm »

I don't believe all people should immediately hate you as soon as it's revealed you're a necromancer/vampire/werebeast.  I personally become a vamp-necro so I can kill all the evil creatures of the world without being killed as easy.  I'm a hero until they find out, however they do, that i'm "bad".  Then, i'm hunted.  I believe that people should judge based on your actions, but certain super religious groups would hunt you, no matter what you did.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think for Themselves
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »

Well it depends on the setting doesn't it. In my view they wouldn't be naturally evil, it would just be that living long enough for everyone you know to die would make you probably want to distant yourself from mortals and if you distance yourself long enough you'd probably stop caring. Personally I do think that there should be a lot of prejudice though. sure, if you know someone personally they shouldnt hate you, but most things should at least be a bit wary if they don't immediately attack you. Maybe if you gain a good reputation it would be different, but othewise it shouldn't be a walk in the park.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

that's exactly what i'm saying.  i purposely become a vampire to HELP the people, so that I won't die to the first bandit I see. 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »

that's exactly what i'm saying.  i purposely become a vampire to HELP the people, so that I won't die to the first bandit I see.
"I'm cursed to be crazed for the thirst of fresh blood, but it's ok guys I'm really here to help!"

While I admit it'd be interesting to be able to become the law-giver or some benevolent icon of horror, it'd take a bit more to convince xenophobic peasants who fear the night why they shouldn't fear a night creature such as yourself. I'd honestly love the idea of peasants sending adventurers to kill that "evil bloodsucking fiend adventure" over there!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:33 pm »

I think this sort of thing being implemented would be interesting.
Perhaps the history of the world, and the person's home Civ affect their reaction, like a good aligned theocracy will almost always hate Night creatures.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:45:32 pm »

I think this sort of thing being implemented would be interesting.
Perhaps the history of the world, and the person's home Civ affect their reaction, like a good aligned theocracy will almost always hate Night creatures.
I'm not sure if you can have generic "good" aligned entities. In DF worlds as it stands what the individual civilization sees as morally acceptable and utterly abhorrent may differ from the next, and the actual concepts of good and evil really denote the physical manifestations of oddness like Titans that radiate friendship (and deadly syndromes) or lands where the dead walk.

I suppose this might come hand in hand with procedurally generated entity ethics, where some might be unusually tolerant of night creatures (goblins or elves would be the most likely).

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:48:49 pm »

The elves would only tolerate you until you upset them (probably for something like appearing with an arrow in your thigh), and then descend upon you in fury. At least, I think so.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:30:48 pm »

I agree that this would be a good concept, but Toady would first need to implement a system that weighs how people think of you other than the general "you attacked/helped someone of my civilization, so I'm going to kill/like you".

Also, I'd suggest a new forum title, current one is too vague.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:47:40 pm »

I don't recall ever having a character hunted down just for being a vampire necromancer who skulks around at night looking for trouble.  I've drained bandits of blood in front of my allies and raised zombies in the middle of town to set them against so-called deities without angering the civilization.  They'll attack you if you get caught drinking the blood of the innocent, of course, but that's judging you on your actions.

Has something changed lately in this regard?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:37:38 pm »

Nothing's changed, but I don't know how you raised undead in town without being caught, as that makes me hostile to the civ.  I just wish people wouldn't get angry as soon as it was discovered that you WERE a vampire.  What i'm saying is this:  When you retire as a vampire/necro, even if you were a saint, helping everyone, you'll be hunted down by a future adventurer of yours.  It's like they just KNOW that you're a vampire/necro, and ignore your deeds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 06:06:25 pm »

It's like they just KNOW that you're a vampire/necro, and ignore your deeds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Helsing_(film)#Plot

On review, wouldn't it make sense for were-creature adventurers to only be able to tell what creature something was, and not its whole identity? So that attacking a living thing encurs the risk of killing a member of the civilization? Enraged at all life tends to remove concepts like family, friend and foe.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:45:19 am »

Even better, change it so that humans are mistaken for apes or something. Maybe also make it that you think walls are stone or that cabins are made out of trees? Just stuff to add to being a werewolf since you are now a complete wild animal.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »

I'd like to point out that currently, the only real downside to becoming a vampire is that people won't like you anymore if they find out. 

This is requesting that last penalty be removed so that there's absolutely no reason whatsoever not to be a vampire in every game. 

Current vampirism is just a placeholder for a lot more magic things to come, so don't think it's permanent.  There may well be some version of vampirism that still allows for heroics.

However, necromancy and vampirism right now are supposed to be curses of the gods for doing profane things, not just free superpowers to be handed out to every supposed hero and villain alike.  What people do now, with vampire fortresses and necromancer-vampire-thrall-werepig adventurers are just abuses of an incomplete system, and asking Toady to make the game cater more to the abuse is taking the game in the wrong direction.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare