Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting champion to train military  (Read 640 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting champion to train military
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Champion

According to the wiki, the champion has the purpose of training the entire army, leading combat demonstrations. But mine... doesn't do this.

I've tried keeping him a squad that's inactive with no barracks, and I've tried having him training full time with the barron (both are badasses). But either way, he won't do anything beyond the normal soldier stuff. What would I have to do to get him to train everyone?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Getting champion to train military
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:32:36 pm »

I think the wiki reference is more about him being more effective at it than him training everyone

I might have to check if civilians who glance at demonstrations (walk past/hang out at that place) get skill too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:11:30 pm »

I usually have my captain of the guard also be my champion, and have him lead the training squadron. It usually works out ok.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »

It’s automatic; just turn off all other labors (Dwarf Therapist).  I always embark with one dorf a Proficient Teacher; after the Danger Room is ready, he’s made a “squad of one” militia captain and trained in leather armor and a cloak to dodge, then again with a shield, then again with each weapon and no shield.  He’s soon legendary in every skill.  When we get a noble, Teacher gets promoted to Champion.  His decent quarters are next to the barracks and since he has nothing else to do, there are lots of training messages.  Naturally, you need active squads for this but if they have nothing better to do, Teacher will keep them from getting rusty and (somewhat) increase their skills, although nowhere near the increase that the Danger Room gives.  I keep ten unconnected screw pumps in the barracks to cross-train Strength, Toughness and Agility; when those guys go on break, they often train rather than go back to pumping.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)