Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deputy/Assistant Nobles  (Read 575 times)

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deputy/Assistant Nobles
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:52:59 pm »

I was thinking on the bus today after a hard day of inventory when I thought of that poor dwarf bookkeeper who must count all 924,512 pieces of stone to absolute accuracy, simply because the overseer told him to. Whats more, he must do it alone. Sure if he finishes he will be the greatest counter in the entire fortress, but if he dies there is the chance that no one will have any bookkeeping skill to replace him with.

My idea,
Have a deputy for all noble positions that helps the primary with his work, works opposite shifts as the primary, and acts as a successor to the primary should he die. By working with the primary, the deputy is able to build experience in the exact same skills as the primary, thus insuring the replacement is at least competent.

Assistants could be added to each noble (with more important nobles having more assistants), whose job it is to keep their noble fed, clean and happy during their work hours. If a bookkeeper is thirsty while working, the assistant will either grab some alcohol from a flask, or go to the kitchen for some. The assistant will learn some skills as they help their noble with their work, thus providing another alternative in case both the noble and the deputy are killed at the same time. It also means that the noble has no excuse to walk off during their shift for a drink.

Some Ideas:
The army will have the captain (the noble), who commands the entire army of a fortress; a lieutenant (the deputy), who looks after the sergeants during the captain's off duty hours and is second in command; the sergeants (noble, below the captain/lieutenant) are in charge of their squads and look after their charges training and schedule; the dwarves in a squad would take over the position of sergeant if the sergeant dies, based on their position in the squad.

Both the captain and the lieutenant would have a batman (assistant) who looks after the cleaning, cooking, weapon/armour maintenance, paperwork and security of their noble. If the captain does not feel like putting up their field tent, the batman does it instead.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deputy/Assistant Nobles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:21 am »

I like this idea. One problem I could see is the assistants not getting food or drink for thier noble. So if they didn't do it the noble would go get it themselves so they don't starve or dehydrate. Maybe if its a king or someone more powerful they might punish the person for not doing thier job. Possibly resulting in a bad thought or something. Maybe when the economy is remade they could get a pay deduction.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deputy/Assistant Nobles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:14:02 pm »

This could probably be tied into an apprentice system for highly skilled dwarves. I'm sure a player would prefer a dwarf to spend more time working and have his apprentices do all the useless hauling and stuff. I'm sure most players treat legendary dwarves better than their nobles anyway.