Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 537930 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Are Unbelieveable Psychopaths [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1860 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:42 pm »

Laos is xenophobic, they don't want outsiders in their country, they have their own problems with cleansing out the Hmong from the mountains and really don't give a damn to anyone else tell their parent country to take them back.

The thing is though the Laotian border guards used to be quite open to bribery or didn't really care. It seems that is no longer the case.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 27, 2013, 03:34:29 pm »

Laos is xenophobic, they don't want outsiders in their country, they have their own problems with cleansing out the Hmong from the mountains and really don't give a damn to anyone else tell their parent country to take them back.

?
Have you ever been there?  I always found it to be a very friendly place.  The capital, Vientiane (pronounced wan-chun, like the ‘80s rock band) is like stepping back in time to a French colony.   There are a couple of very good Korean restaurants there and I never got a sense of xenophobia. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 27, 2013, 03:44:02 pm »

?
Have you ever been there?  I always found it to be a very friendly place.  The capital, Vientiane (pronounced wan-chun, like the ‘80s rock band) is like stepping back in time to a French colony.   There are a couple of very good Korean restaurants there and I never got a sense of xenophobia. 

My mother is a refugee from the country, her family escaped in the 80's from the government :\

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 27, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »

My mother is a refugee from the country, her family escaped in the 80's from the government :\

If your mother is of Hmong ancestry, she will naturally have a different perspective.  The Hmong are – well, it’s much like PROC mainland China; almost everyone there now is Han Chinese but only a few generations ago, the Han were only one of 60 or so different ethnicities.  Most Americans don’t know that if you go over that way, almost no one has heard of “The Vietnam War.”  But everyone knows the Indo-China Conflict and The Second Indo-China Conflict.  The first one started against the French, was interrupted for a few years by Japanese occupation and then ended in 1954 with the defeat of the French.  In Thailand, they celebrated their defeat of French colonial attempts by renaming the Kingdom from Siam to Thailand, which in their language means “land of the free.”  Free of the French.  All official distances in Thailand are marked from the Victory Monument which celebrates the defeat of the French invaders.  But this thread was/is sometimes about Koreans.  Even the French are back in Laos now as ex-pats and seemingly very welcome.  My favorite bistro is one next to the Plaza in Vientiane run by a French woman named Peannut who was insistent on telling me, “It’s pronounced Pee-NUH, not Pee-NUH.”  I had to ask,
“Have you by chance seen the movie Pink Panther with Peter Sellers?”
“No.”
“Then, never mind.”
 :)
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »

I appreciated the story (and would love a link), and i would like some detailed information on the Korean resistance movements being brought up.

As the next best thing threadwise (and to prevent threadsplosion by creating a dedicated topic), and since we've brought up the prevalence of Han Chinese, can anyone tell me about the situation in Tibet? I thought there was a possibly successful intent to do much the same thing there, and to be honest I'd like a thorough discussion of china. A cursory search is a little inundated, so if anyone has any links handy I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:31:01 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 27, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »

Just start a new thread on China.  This one is about that wasscally Lil' Kim.

What's going on in Tibet is, in a word, genocide.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 27, 2013, 04:50:49 pm »

My mother is not Hmong ancestry (and is kinda racist against them unfortunately), she left due to the government locking anybody up with foreign influence and my grandfather was educated in France and traveled around in Thailand and Cambodia, they hopped on a boat and took a grueling 2 year trip from the Philippines to the US.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 27, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »

Along with Uyghurstan, Inner Mongolia and numerous other regions.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 27, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »

Not that you're necessarily wrong (i don't know enough to judge, and it's sounds accurate) , this is why i didn't make a thread. A baying mass will descend and I'll be lucky if the thread lasts for 20 minutes. You don't have to explain, but please provide me with a link.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 27, 2013, 05:32:54 pm »

Not that you're necessarily wrong (i don't know enough to judge, and it's sounds accurate) , this is why i didn't make a thread. A baying mass will descend and I'll be lucky if the thread lasts for 20 minutes. You don't have to explain, but please provide me with a link.

Um … OK, but – a link to what?  The railhead now established between the Provinces linking a half-billion people directly to Lhasa?  The “repatriation” monetary and other incentives to Han families relocating to the Plateau?  The ***damn tourist hotels now facing the Potala Palace?  Fly the friendly skies of Google Earth. 

Not meaning to sound snarky but, I don’t know what you’re looking for and that’s the purpose of Google.  You might start with this one:

http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/outlook/reviews/2640-chinas-hidden-cultural-genocide-in-tibet-crimes-against-humanity  -- which is Chinese.  I was going to direct you to the great Snow Lion website, but it seems they’ve been taken over by the Shamballa Publishing Group.  Too bad; they had a fantastic catalog.   

And now, back to the Lil' Kim show!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 28, 2013, 05:24:07 am »

I wouldn't call it genocide. Sure, they're moving in Han Chinese, and cracking down on expression of Tibetan culture, but it's a bit ridiculous to compare it to the gassing of the Jews or the Rwandan genocide...

Anyway, there has been a lot of speculation among China watchers recently that China may approach a new Tibetan strategy, following the publication of an article by an academic in an official newspaper. Hu Jintao, the former Chinese president was General Secretary of the Tibetan Communist Party before taking on the top job and was known for his heavy-handed approach.

Now, with the new leadership in Beijing, there seems to be a movement toward negociating with the Dalai-Lama before he dies, with some people calling for Beijing and the Dalai-Lama to reach a deal on its next reincarnation (To avoid having two Dalai-Lama, an official one and one that Tibetan follow).

Things may yet get better.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 28, 2013, 08:08:37 am »

I look forward to seeing what Chinese puppet is brought forth to succeed the Dalai-Lama.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:06 pm »

I look forward to seeing what Chinese puppet is brought forth to succeed the Dalai-Lama.
Totally legitimate, by the way. They absolutely have authority over a religion they're trying to suppress.
[/sarcasm]
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 28, 2013, 02:08:29 pm »

Seriously, stop derailing existing threads to talk about your pet issues. If you want to talk about something, start a thread for it instead of intentionally derailing. Yes, it means you will have to put a little more work into your posts instead of asking easy to answer questions or complaining about how other people aren't doing things right enough for you, but hey! At least you won't have to complain about other people's titles that way, right?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 28, 2013, 04:31:58 pm »

Totally legitimate, by the way. They absolutely have authority over a religion they're trying to suppress.
[/sarcasm]

They certainly have authority over Islam.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 341