Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 537024 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strike On United States
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:47 pm »

But voiding an armistice that has stood for 60 years... :/
They never really did stop going to war. North Korea can't do shit to the USA. North Korean militarization was a response to American militarization that was a response to nuclear weapons testing that was a response to increased militarization that was a response to...

And if they do this, they lose China's support, and the US marches in.
China has condemned the nuclear testing yet still does nothing to debilitate their southern buffer.

They KNOW China said they'd pull their support if NK attacked anyone
*They know China would enact sanctions against whatever they felt would be a threat against [    ].

-and they also have one of the crappiest militaries in the world.
North Korea is quite possibly the last country in the world that would be willing to go to total war against the world's largest military, even if it meant dragging their entire country down into certain destruction.

It's starved
The army is well fed from the food its citizens sacrifice.

-inexperienced
They've never stopped being at war nor have they not stopped operations into South Korea.

They may try guerrilla tactics again, but they'd probably still get decimated.
Hilly terrain, plenty of places North Koreans can hide in, they clearly don't care about the constraints of morality in war - it would be bloody conventional war that would cost both sides dearly.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:07:23 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Preparing For War
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2013, 04:04:42 pm »

The hostage situation is actually a really good metaphor here. North Korea is the half-craze, half-starved hobo that broke into a house and took the family hostage with his pistol. Sure, his armament is really crappy compared to the SWAT's outside the house, and everybody knows that the SWAT could storm the place and win for sure. But the hostage might still die.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »

So what you're saying is that we should burn the house down?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:10 pm »

The guys that made homefront did.
Homefront was originally about China.
Evidently they changed their ideas, then.

Also, why is it in FPSes, America always gets invaded by a cold-war enemy? Mainly, Russia or China?
Who would you suggest as a credible alternative? Aliens? The breakaway Republic of Islamic Kreplachistan? LUXEMBOURG??

This is the problem with bring a superpower...your list of credible enemies for entertainment purposes is woefully small.
Although that has me wondering....for video games set in other countries, who do they have as your potential enemies?

@Strife: You know as well as I do that the US forces in South Korea aren't there to hold off the North Koreans. They might delay them at best. Their job is to be a tripwire -- to ensure that any attacks on South Korea are going to hit some US troops and give us the casus belli to retaliate with overwhelming force. More or less the same thing that US forces in Germany were there for. There was no illusion about holding off the Soviets if they went full-scale. Their job was to give us the excuse to retaliate in full.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2013, 04:27:10 pm »

I reckon if they were seriously gearing up for war, China would send in "reinforcements" to depose Kim Jong Un and install somebody who'll do what they say. After that, indefinite status quo. Because war isn't in China's best interest, even if it doesn't involve US invading NK.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:28:42 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

Y'all are giving China way too much credit.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2013, 04:32:21 pm »

Maybe Kim Jong Un is actually a economic genius. He saw what article nine did to improve Japans economy, now he is trying to swing for the same deal to improve the the long term prospects of the nation that he loves dearly and hates to see starve, even if his house gets bombed in the process.

And then Santa will spread hope and joy around the world with Kim Jong Un and Obama on his sleigh singing merely.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2013, 04:32:59 pm »

They've been putting on a lot of muscle lately, I'd expect them to flex it.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:09 pm »

China is not going to commit to any action that could significantly damage their trade relationship with the United States. Losing North Korea isn't great for them, but it isn't horrible either.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2013, 04:37:22 pm »

I don't see how installing a puppet regime in NK would deteriorate relations with US.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »

North Korea is preparing its forces for war.
Holy shit, I have literally that exact same coat... Same color and style.
General Max White Il, we have been expecting you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »

hm, that video almost made him seem sane. Anyone else gettin' that? If it weren't for widespread famine in NK I might have said that's legit.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 05:10:53 pm »

You know that video where it's got Kim Jong Un on the transport with the soldiers all chasing after him?

Well, the country is starving, and he's... not thin...
I was sort of worried the soldiers would keep following the transport until they drowned.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »

You know that video where it's got Kim Jong Un on the transport with the soldiers all chasing after him?

Well, the country is starving, and he's... not thin...
To be fair, he didn't exactly grow up as a peasant in NK. He went to schools all across Europe, and has a wealthy family, to boot. He was chunky well before he took command.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 341