Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 541202 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Call me up if you a Juche Ideology [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #4995 on: May 26, 2018, 10:39:49 am »

That one was just things between the two Koreas anyways. Also, the WH has sent their advance team to Singapore anyways despite it seemingly been cancelled, so, I don’t know, the whole cancellation seems like some sort of negotiation ploy.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: May 26, 2018, 10:05:05 pm »

I have no idea what's going on, which means Best Korea thread is finally back to normal.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: May 26, 2018, 11:23:36 pm »

That one was just things between the two Koreas anyways. Also, the WH has sent their advance team to Singapore anyways despite it seemingly been cancelled, so, I don’t know, the whole cancellation seems like some sort of negotiation ploy.

Well, Trump has apparently decided that the meeting is proceeding "very nicely" despite maybe not happening, so it would appear the White House is hedging its bets -- or just scrambling around preparing for everything because the President is fundamentally random.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: May 27, 2018, 01:32:46 am »

Personally, I would rather not have trump involved.

Moon is doing a bang-up job so far. If he can get reconciliation going, and get an actual end to the war along with disarmament and cleanup of the border with normalized relations, he deserves more than a damn peace prize.

The US not having its disgusting tiny orange hands in this is not only more hygienic, it also makes me feel better about the world.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: May 27, 2018, 02:38:54 am »

Yep, that's my assessment as well, Trump might just have talked his way out of being relevant to the discussion.

e.g. if you're going to use the "not afraid to walk away" tactic you better damn well ensure that you have something that's vital to the dicsussion. In this case, a deal directly between the two Koreas would effectively nullify what the USA thinks about it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:40:56 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: May 27, 2018, 06:09:51 am »

The problem being that you can't exclude the US from the talks any more than you can't have China looming over the other shoulder.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: May 27, 2018, 07:34:25 pm »

The problem being that you can't exclude the US from the talks any more than you can't have China looming over the other shoulder.

I mean they totally can ignore the two ogling giants, it just means they can’t use, for example, dismantling of US/Chinese bases in the region as a bargaining chip between the koreas. Or at least not without creating somewhat of a stir
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: May 27, 2018, 08:18:43 pm »

I don’t think China has a base in NK, not much point to it anyway when it’s a neighboring country and China can just put their own base inside their own territory near the border.  And US troops are in SK at their behest (also alliance), so, Kim would have to convince SK first.

I know it’s just an example, if not a great one...

There’s plenty of stuff the two can talk about that wouldn’t need US or Chinese input.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: May 28, 2018, 12:07:26 am »

If NK makes peace with SK without the US involved, they gain little. US sanctions can't be lifted by SK.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: May 28, 2018, 02:12:42 am »

Sanctions are against specific corporate entities (27 of them in this list) that are trading with North Korea. Basically, they set up a "blacklist" of companies that are known to trade with North Korea and made it illegal for Americans to trade with those companies. However, if you're not on the list, then there's no rule stopping you from trading with North Korea, while also trading with the USA.

e.g. Someone like Samsung could move factories into North Korea and the sanctions would effectively be null and void. e.g. the USA would have to create additional sanctions on a case by case basis for all South Korean entities starting operations in North Korea. In fact, those South Korean entities will have a competitive edge since the pre-existing sanctions will reduce the competition for North Korean contracts, e.g. they provide protectionism for all entities not already on the sanction list.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:22:29 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: May 28, 2018, 09:24:09 am »

Even if NK could very well prosper with SK and US help, the whole "I’ll make you very, very rich" has to sound a little like a deal with the devil to Kim, and it really is the typical sort of salesman talk that makes one a bit skeptical.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: May 28, 2018, 10:43:27 am »

Between NK and SK, true, it’s not new, but an economic deal with the US (as ‘deal with the devil’ sounding as it is coming from Trump’s salesman rhetoric) would definetly be new.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: June 02, 2018, 04:28:31 am »

Glorious leader Kim Jong-Un reminds King Duck who has the biggest letter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 341