Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 541294 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: A valid discussion topic [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #4621 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:25 pm »

Are they TRYING to make Japan mad enough to reveal their secret mech program to wipe NK out?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: September 14, 2017, 11:19:03 pm »

It also appears to be almost the exact same path as the other one, just a little further north actually.

This kind of thing seems ripe for a mistake to happen, sooner or later they might test Japan by sending it on a path that goes near a major city. They're already making Japan nervous. Samurai discipline or not, it wouldn't take much for some military officer to make a split second decision to fire on the missile.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:22:09 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: September 15, 2017, 01:12:23 am »

The situation is truly tremblable that one national leader peacockises directly in the face of another ruffing leader, a quacksalver of the first degree.
(Leaving it up to others to make use of the further obvious words, don't want to overblow an honest point )

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: September 15, 2017, 02:11:00 am »

It also appears to be almost the exact same path as the other one, just a little further north actually.

This kind of thing seems ripe for a mistake to happen, sooner or later they might test Japan by sending it on a path that goes near a major city. They're already making Japan nervous. Samurai discipline or not, it wouldn't take much for some military officer to make a split second decision to fire on the missile.
So what if they do
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: September 15, 2017, 02:47:34 am »

It's just plain terrorism against Japan. You don't need death tolls to call something terrorism. You just need to terrify population.
I feel for the poor folks that keep getting told to get to the bomb shelters. Few more times, and they will all be drooling wrecks asking their shrinks for more Xanax.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: September 15, 2017, 03:41:01 am »

And the last time they were nuked wasn't plain terrorism? I mean I think Japan should be used to to the idea by now.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: September 15, 2017, 03:43:44 am »

Here I was thinking that Glorious Leader just did not like the Sea of Japan, as they just keep shooting missiles into it.

(GLorious leader will defeat his sworn enemy sooner or later! Your days are NUMBERED Aquaman!!)

Either that, or they are trying to rile up Godzilla.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: September 15, 2017, 12:40:33 pm »

So what if they do

It could escalate from there, or not. Since we've never actually tried to shoot down one of their missiles, we can't be absolutely sure what the reaction would be. Not to mention the potential embarrassment if said missile defense misses. NK seems to be playing it (relatively) safe atm by using a similar path from the last one, which seemed to be trying to thread the needle with as little land as possible under it. They COULD point it southeastish, but given they've already threatened to shoot at Guam, it could cause Trump to think they were trying to attack Guam.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: September 15, 2017, 12:58:45 pm »

Not to mention the potential embarrassment if said missile defense misses.

This is more likely than anyone likes to admit, too; part of the reason for MAD as a doctrine is the extreme difficulty of intercepting an ICBM strike with any degree of certainty. The whole focus on second-strike capability reflects an acceptance that stopping the first strike is not feasible, so the only real options are retaliatory.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: September 16, 2017, 12:31:43 am »

Do the missiles explode when they hit the ocean or something? Have people tried to collect them afterwards so they can see what they're dealing with?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: September 16, 2017, 07:12:26 am »

Do the missiles explode when they hit the ocean or something? Have people tried to collect them afterwards so they can see what they're dealing with?

The ocean is kilometres deep where the missiles land.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: September 16, 2017, 07:33:01 am »

I don't think the targeting systems sound very accurate. My hunch is that if they could pinpoint where they're going to land then they'd brag about it beforehand, which would add a lot of credibility to any of their threats. The fact that they obfuscate that detail is probably telling. They have this one guy who apparently is really good with rocket design, they promoted him back in 2012 apparently, after he worked out why one rocket failed to launch. Now he's a celeb, they gave him a General's uniform, and he gets to hang out with Glorious Leader. But I don't think they have another guy who's good with designing targeting systems. The one competent rocket guy they have got made a general, that should tell you how rare competent scientists are there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:40:33 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: September 16, 2017, 07:36:37 am »

You don't need a computer to aim a ballistic missile. Pen and paper is sufficient.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: September 16, 2017, 07:41:56 am »

You don't need a computer to aim a ballistic missile. Pen and paper is sufficient.

That's irrelevant. My point is that if they were able to pinpoint where these missiles were going to impact the surface, they would make a big deal of it. They keep silent about it however, and that's out of character. Which implies that these rockets are very innaccurate. What that suggests to me is that their tech isn't accurate enough to land a payload it's capable of carrying close enough to a target where it would damage said target.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:44:48 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 341