Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 537137 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Well, they did.

Then Winter came and they all froze to death. Not much changed.
I meant a full-scale colonization, such as after Columbus "discovered" it?
edit: Maybe 'colonization' is a wrong word for this, 'invasion' would be better perhaps?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Most likely that'd have the same effects. The vikings didn't have the nessecairy technology to cross the atlantic ocean, (They needed to go via Greenland) so when global temperatures dipped and the weather became worse, the colony 'd be cut off.

It's unlikely that the Vikings would've survived that. Any remainders would likely integrate with the natives.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Depending on what germs they brought with them, they may not be many native left.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Thing was the Vikings were closer to Native American Technology then. The Europeans had guns. Sure the vikings had metal, but the Europeans had GUNS. Bullets. And the Native American population was pretty huge at the start.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but these were freaking Vikings.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yeah, but these were freaking Vikings.
Reading about the first viking-skraeling encounters are hilarious in so many ways.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the Republicans won the SCW, there probably would have been another civil war immediately following it. The Republicans were made up of dozens of disparate factions, they were not on the same ideological sheet of music at all. If the communists won, I guess Spain would probably would have followed in Eastern Europe's miseries of totalitarianism and economic stagnation if there wasn't some sort of war to settle the matters anyways.

I wonder more what would have happened if the allies never landed in Normandy during WWII and the USSR steam rolled through all the way to the Atlantic Ocean and down the boot of Italy. Stalin even wanted to continue the war after Germany's defeat in Spain and Portugal because of the right wing governments there, so they might have taken the whole of mainland Europe.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

This thread sounds like a Vicky2 AAR now.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Thus is the fate of all alternate history discussion. I both love and hate Paradox for ensuring it all comes back to them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

The Jewish Empire of Nubia is doing well, in other news. Newer versions of CK2 are alot more difficult now though, IMO.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scottish freedom fighters are currently waging a guerilla war against the Greater English administration, imposed in 1708 following break-downs in Act of Union talks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

There have been some amusing and entertaining comments made on this thread about Kim Young-Un.  But I’m going to take a shot and guess that of everyone who occasionally logs onto Bay12, I’m one of few who ever worried their draft number would be called in the upcoming lottery.  Similarly, probably not many of you subscribe to The New York Times.    :)

This is a special weekend so I copy-n-paste from yesterday’s op-ed page.
Happy long weekend to everyone,
jimboo

******************************************

EDITORIAL
Silence on This Day
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Published: May 26, 2013

If you listen carefully, you can almost hear the silence at the heart of Memorial Day — the inward turn that thoughts take on a day set aside to honor the men and women who have died in the service of this country.

It is the silence of soldiers who have not yet been, and may never be, able to talk about what they learned in war, the silence of grief so familiar that it feels like a second heartbeat. This is a day for acknowledging, publicly, the private memorial days that lie scattered throughout the year, a day when all the military graves are tended to, even the ones that someone tends to regularly as a way of remembering.

It always seems strange the way the fond, sober gestures of memory coincide with the last flush of spring, while the trees are still lit from within by their chartreuse leaves. The year is still rising, just. And yet it is something you often see recorded in the books and diaries of men and women at war — the sharp interruption of beauty, the moments, hours even, when the vivid tenacity of life itself feels most tangible, even in the midst of death. On a bright, beautiful Memorial Day, you feel, as clearly as you may ever feel, the profound separation between the living and the dead. This is the strangeness of the day, because that separation is a source of both joy and loss.

A nation at war — trying to end its war — needs to remember that despite the simple stories we tell ourselves about why we go to war, every soldier who has seen combat knows there is no simple story. The dead have taken that awareness with them, but the living carry it, usually silently, within them. That, too, is the strangeness of this day — to honor men and women who know things about living, dying, and the character of war that we can never really imagine. It should arouse a humility in all the rest of us, and in humility there is a silence, too.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

There have been some amusing and entertaining comments made on this thread about Kim Young-Un.  But I’m going to take a shot and guess that of everyone who occasionally logs onto Bay12, I’m one of few who ever worried their draft number would be called in the upcoming lottery.  Similarly, probably not many of you subscribe to The New York Times.    :)
Judging by the overall tendencies in international politics and economics, I'm afraid I'll have to fight on the frontlines of World War III at some point in the future.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 341