Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: What Is the Most Citizen-Friendly Country on This Planet?  (Read 10161 times)

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: What Is the Most Citizen-Friendly Country on This Planet?
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:23 pm »

I just dislike the sentiment that people are throwing out, like the average person is living under a totalitarianist regime like Soviet Russia or Oceania from 1984. I'd like to say (probably unnecessarily) that I'm not a very well off person myself. I'm poor, but I still like this country and think it's better than the alternative.

You make it sound like the U.S. is worse off compared to most other countries. You make it sound like we're the only country that has to deal with corruption, or injustice. Relatively speaking, and not subjectively speaking (i.e. "I don't think this country is doing well"), compared to most other countries in the world, we have to deal with less corruption. Think of a place like Italy, where the Prime Minister can essentially do whatever the hell he wants with little repercussion. It's the norm there, they don't even bat an eye anymore. Or even worse, places like Russia where you can literally bribe police to look the other way. If you tried to do that in America, you'd be laughed at, and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. In fact, in the international Corruption Perceptions Index, the U.S. ranks 19th best out of 176 countries.

Like Strife said, we're not amazing. We're not even great. But "greatness" and "goodness" is a relative term. You have to understand what you're comparing it to. If you compare it to how bad corruption is in Europe, then it's about the same in most cases, probably a bit worse. Compared to 90% of the countries in the world, America is pretty great. Compared to an unrealistic, ultra-pure society that will most likely never exist, yeah it looks pretty shitty here in America.

Look, I'm not trying to say we shouldn't constantly be striving to improve our situation, or that corrupt officials should be overlooked. There's a lot we definitely need to deal with, and I applaud the efforts of those who try to drag examples of corruption kicking and screaming into the light. That's what our duty as citizens is to do, to fight tyranny and corruption. But to dismiss our entire country as corrupt and a bad place to live, ignoring the greater corruption in the rest of the world, that's wrong.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:38:57 pm by Tyg13 »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2013, 07:09:38 pm »

1) Have you actually experienced the alternatives? Many Americans say stuff like this, but honestly, the majority of the nation does not own a passport and has never actually been abroad, which is sort of unusual for a developed nation.

2) We're not actually saying the US is worse than most other countries, we're saying it is by a pretty wide margin not the best in the world when it comes to places to live. As someone once said to me the US is only #1 at two things, prison population, and military budget. One thing that drives me nuts... and many other people, is the popular view by Americans that it is the greatest country in the world, if you go back to the beginning of the conversation, you'll notice that the "US bashing" was started because someone said in response to the OP:
Probably USA.

We still have tons of problems, but we're probably the best.

While I know that a lot of the country isn't really so badly informed to think that this nation is the best in the world, I deal with soooo many people who seem to be under the impression that I moved to this country on account of trying to go somewhere with better conditions. I didn't I came here because my father came here on account of being offered a pretty high paying job in a corporation that moved it's headquarters here because your nation is a bit of a corporate tax haven.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2013, 07:19:14 pm »

1) Have you actually experienced the alternatives? Many Americans say stuff like this, but honestly, the majority of the nation does not own a passport and has never actually been abroad, which is sort of unusual for a developed nation.
There's a reason for that. The majority of the developed world is in North America and Europe. Europe has a bunch of (relatively) tiny nations, the vast majority of North America is composed of only three nations. For Europeans, a passport is a necessity because of the national boundaries that must be traversed for travel. If you live in the United States or Canada, you already have a giant area to explore that requires no passport.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »

You don't even need  passport for most of Europe either. Just a regular ID card will suffice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:53 pm »

Only because of a relatively recent diplomatic agreement.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »

There's a reason for that. The majority of the developed world is in North America and Europe. Europe has a bunch of (relatively) tiny nations, the vast majority of North America is composed of only three nations. For Europeans, a passport is a necessity because of the national boundaries that must be traversed for travel. If you live in the United States or Canada, you already have a giant area to explore that requires no passport.
And I think that's a pretty bad thing.

Everyone should take the time to experience and get to know another culture and language in their lifetime. It does give you a much more interesting perspective on what you consider "normal" or "natural".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24:19 pm »

I'm curious to see statistics of Europeans who have at least once left Europe vs USA citizens who have at least once left the USA.

I suspect Europeans are slightly higher since most all of them need passports to travel between the countries there, but not the ridiculous disparity between USA citizens with a passport vs Europeans with a passport.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »

Eh, most people in Europe when they go on holiday go to Spain or Italy or some such (I don't know where the mediterraneans go when they want to get away from their places). Ex-British islands in the Caribbean are also fairly popular holiday destinations for a lot of Brits.

Some do take the opportunity to go places more exotic like China or Mexico, but mostly they are about as geographically regional as Americans I think. The difference is that they experience more diversity in their patch of land than the US does.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2013, 07:46:21 pm »

I got more than a little culture shock by moving to the South in the US. Churches with passive aggressive signs on every street corner! Though I will concede Europe probably has more varied culture than here.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »

You should give it a shot sometime, you will find things that are different that you never thought would be different. I guarantee it.

Personally I got pretty sick of moving around from country to country after being shuttled all over the place through 4 different nations throughout my childhood.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2013, 04:51:39 pm »

It's the norm there, they don't even bat an eye anymore.
Do you even Italy?

If you tried to do that in America, you'd be laughed at, and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. In fact, in the international Corruption Perceptions Index, the U.S. ranks 19th best out of 176 countries.
There's plenty of evidence to go against that that's been posted in this thread.

Everyone should take the time to experience and get to know another culture and language in their lifetime. It does give you a much more interesting perspective on what you consider "normal" or "natural".
Practice objectivity; abandon your notions of normal!

Eh, most people in Europe when they go on holiday go to Spain or Italy or some such (I don't know where the mediterraneans go when they want to get away from their places). Ex-British islands in the Caribbean are also fairly popular holiday destinations for a lot of Brits.

Some do take the opportunity to go places more exotic like China or Mexico, but mostly they are about as geographically regional as Americans I think. The difference is that they experience more diversity in their patch of land than the US does.
Also there is already a lot of cultural osmosis from an impetus of immigration and multi-culturalism. "Exotic" loses much meaning when the distance can be crossed in under a day too.
To be honest it is understandable why most Americans never go abroad beyond Hawaii. America has an imitation of just about every country plus each state is a country in its own right. For most Europeans the effort needed to get to a holiday in Europe is much the same as going to another country outside the EU.

And because no one's done it yet, I'd nominate France or Denmark for European spot.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2013, 05:06:45 pm »

In fact, in the international Corruption Perceptions Index, the U.S. ranks 19th best out of 176 countries.

The US has a score of 73. There are several countries with a score of 90.

All this proves as that even bringing up the US in a discussion of the "least corrupt" countries is pretty absurd. Its a convincing argument that most countries are pretty corrupt, if the numbers are to be believed, but not that the US is anywhere near the top or that they don't have significant issues. But if you're only argument is "most people are worst", you probably don't belong proposing it in the company of countries that that are actually really good about it.

Interesting to note, tied for top place at 90 are the following three countries:
Denmark
Finland
New Zealand

And I'd agree with that list as a decent starting point, although they still obviously have their problems. (And least corrupt is not most free)

Using the tool Freedom Index with reasonable priorities (I think) for what this thread describes, I get the following order for the top 10:

Rank Nation         
1    Netherlands
2    Australia
3    Finland     
4    Denmark
5    Canada     
6    New Zealand     
7    Belgium   
8    Germany
9    Luxembourg   
10   Sweden
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:10:41 pm by GlyphGryph »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »

Also there is already a lot of cultural osmosis from an impetus of immigration and multi-culturalism. "Exotic" loses much meaning when the distance can be crossed in under a day too.
To be honest it is understandable why most Americans never go abroad beyond Hawaii. America has an imitation of just about every country plus each state is a country in its own right. For most Europeans the effort needed to get to a holiday in Europe is much the same as going to another country outside the EU.

And because no one's done it yet, I'd nominate France or Denmark for European spot.
Well yeah, but the thing is that a lot of the immigrants tend to live in enclaves that tend to exist in pretty close-knit communities (this is hardly a uniquely American phenomenon, but it seems exaggerated in the US, I think perhaps because it's seen several periods of very heavy immigration in the past). You might be familiar with Chinese cuisine thanks to the immigration, but how familiar are you with the way they raise their kids in China, or what their perspectives on the world are over there, or all the little things that make them different?

Also I'm not sure France really belongs on that list so much. I suppose it's probably not a horrible country, but it's definitely a nation that has some big issues.
I've also got a little bit of a personal vendetta against the place.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2013, 05:36:14 pm »

I believe the only solution would be to strike the Earth.
horrendous pun.

I heard nice things about San Martino and the Malta Island.
Maybe Switzerland or Luxembourg?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2013, 05:51:48 pm »

I like Malta. Been there twice and it's a wonderfully tranquil and bizarre little country. Highly recommended as a vacation target. But it's also fairly conservative and I wouldn't rate it that high on the civil liberties scale. Last I heard they were loosening up a little though. You no longer have to wait 8 years for a divorce to be approved, it was slashed to 4 after fierce debate in their parliament.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14