Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42030 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »

Your advice seems to have worked, I managed to reach the fourth level and unlocked the Enforcer, the Bandit and Acrid. In the third level it took so long to kill all the enemies that the difficulty meter had already reached max ;_;

Enforcer seems ok I guess, Bandit seems weird but Acrid seems to be REALLY REALLY good against groups of enemies, especially if you have a rope just above them to hang off and the tesla coil c: (and his infection also completely wrecks the magma worm since it seems to deal damage to every part at the same time).

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2014, 10:08:42 pm »

Yeah, a magma worm is treated as individual segments making up an entire creature. Anything that manages to deal AoE damage will damage each segment, effectively multiplying your damage output against them.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2014, 05:43:59 am »

For extra Acrid ownage, get a high crit rate (several glasses or fail a shrines with the dice) and the wicked ring (reduces cooldowns by 1 second per crit), then epidemic something. Then epidemic again after it has spread to 10 things. Tn epidemic again, and again.

It's not quite self sustaining since you end up killing things faster than they respawn, but baring the laser turbine or the sniper's piercing shot, it's probably the highest sustained damage in the game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2015, 05:36:51 pm »

Bit of a necro, but I care little.

I just experienced that it's entirely possible to one-shot the final boss's final form on highest difficulty >_>

Command mode is ridiculous. Two hundred crowbars. Also the barbed wire aura goes off screen somewhere a bit over 100. 30 something goat hooves is just silly. More would be sillier. Chest-generating use item asap, get your 8 clovers, run an extra lap or two around the levels... things get entirely silly. At one point I one-shot an overloading magma worm... had to have been something over 100k damage in one go. Utterly insane.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2015, 05:41:43 pm »

Don't all items have some form of stacking limitation?

Or is it just for certain items?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2015, 05:52:17 pm »

Don't all items have some form of stacking limitation?

Or is it just for certain items?

certain items, so that it doesn't get too absurd on a normal run (capped rockets, glasses and clovers off the top of my head) or too fun on a command run...

Yeah, I don't think the crowbars cap, don't remember it being like that, but I find it better off stacking the fireworks item on command and opening a container/using the key, bigger strain on the system but damn that rocket fireworks barrage is cool.
500+ Fireworks that do scratch damage > Crowbars.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »

Whether and how items scale just seems to be inconsistent. Some stack additively, some stack but appear to have diminishing returns, some don't stack at all, and some might theoretically stack with no limit but the nature of their effect renders more than a certain number of the item ineffective.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2015, 07:02:18 am »

[nvm]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:04:19 am by E. Albright »

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »

The one thing I don't like, actually, is how hard it is to increase survivability and straight damage with items in this game.

Even if you have 9999 hp, after a couple loops, you'll still get oneshotted by anything, tons of enemies will spawn and you can't really do much to deal with it except pray for procs of various abilities that /actually/ do damage.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2015, 02:03:41 pm »

Ugh, does anybody have any advice for dealing with the flying guardian thingies on the temple stage? They always show up in huge amounts and murderize my drones, and after that, standing still means that I die in half a second. They're faster than you and they dont ever hang still so you literally cant hit them.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2015, 02:36:12 pm »

You just gotta itemize correctly.

Today I finished a 50-ish minute run with the Commando with so much stuff that all I did with Providence was mash the ability buttons while occasionally moving to aim or dodge the big hurty explosions. Didn't help that the game ran at 4-6 FPS at that point.

But yeah, once you have enough shit (by that I mean crit chance, some damage increasers and some AS and on-hit bonuses (so a bit of everything really)) you really don't need to bother with dodging that much because EVERYTHING dies before it reaches you.

It was especially funny once I got the wicked ring and could use the ult instead of the regular attacks at that point because it would crit so much it would refresh instantly for the most part.

@Miauw, you mean the flying bug thingies? How are those a problem, they do piss-poor damage. But in case you are having trouble with them, try and get some homing stuff or maybe a Tesla Coil since they tend to fly close enough to get zapped.
AS - IG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2015, 02:42:45 pm »

There's like 5000 of them though, which makes them grind everything to a pulp.
And I can't really choose my items unless I'm playing with Command, which is a little cheaty.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:17 pm »

The one thing I don't like, actually, is how hard it is to increase survivability and straight damage with items in this game.

Even if you have 9999 hp, after a couple loops, you'll still get oneshotted by anything, tons of enemies will spawn and you can't really do much to deal with it except pray for procs of various abilities that /actually/ do damage.
More crowbars. Like. Seriously. More crowbars. Survivability is less of an issue when you regularly hit things for 50k+ damage.

Though yeah, with the HP, you get your four dodge-things, you get your junkload of goat hooves, you get your teddy bears and t-shirts (always stop by the boars if it shows up), and then you run really fast and never stay still. Huntress is obviously the best at that, but anyone can manage it alright, especially anyone with a mobility ability and some hooves in 'em (the faster you go, the further those abilities go >_>). Jump-related items (feather, both jumppacks) are pretty useful, too, for not being where the hurty things are.

Less of a possibility to focus outside of command, obviously, but even without it you've got things to focus on. You won't have as many, but...

E: Six digit missile hit D8

so many crowbars
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:07:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2015, 10:12:29 am »

Man, I got two heaven pierces.
Thing is, I was playing with Acrid ;~;
(I had a scary mask and behemoth and will o wisp though, which makes Acrids abilities hilarious. Explosive infections!)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2015, 11:18:45 am »

Heaven crackers do stack though. Each additional one reduces the number of attacks between piercing ones I think.

The best thing on Acrid tho is loads of crit chance, and if you can get it the Wicked Ring. Keep spamming the ult and murdering everything with it.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20