Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42077 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2013, 02:10:51 pm »

Tip for HAN-D's Kill Ten Enemies achievements: kill a magma worm with it. Not 100% sure why it worked: maybe I was just lucky and there actually were 10 other enemies there (but I don't think so, it wasn't during a teleporter time and most of the other enemies I saw there were the colossus bosses), or if I happened to hit 10 segments at once with the killing blow, or if I killed it with the forced reassembly and its death counted as 10+ enemies no matter how many segments you actually hit with it. But I was surprised to get it. I considered that it might have worked this way but it was also possible that it wouldn't.

Also, does anyone know if you can just AFK after a teleporter to get his "survive 25 minutes above 75% health" achievement, or does it need to be during a not-after-teleporter time like the enforcer achievement?

From what I remember, you should be able to AFK for the 25 minutes, but I don't think you can dip below 70% health at any time.  Basically, clear the first stage without once going below 70% health, find a corner or something, AFK until 25 minutes.

The reason the "kill 10 enemies" works with the magma worm is because the magma worm is actually a bunch (20) of entities all slapped together and given a fluid motion that actually looks petty awesome.  So if you hit more than 10 of the entities with the hammer, you should be able to get the Arms Race unlock pretty easily.  As for the star looking item, I'd have to look at my list later.  I've got most of the items unlocked/grabbed.  The only ones I don't have are the two of HAN-D's unlocks, one on the miner (Hard Justice or whatever), and the last Commando unlock (which is called the Hyper Threader and is amazing and I need to touch the third teleporter without being hit aaaaaaaa-).

As for secrets, you should look for a fence on the top left area of the Frozen Valley.  Press up a lot.  :P

EDIT: Found the "Star looking thing" mentioned earlier, it's called the Chargefield Generator and it's a Mercenary Unlock.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:44:47 am by Karkov »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2013, 02:09:40 am »

How are you suppose to beat the game as a sniper? I just can't do it. Things take too long to kill.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2013, 08:11:35 am »

How are you suppose to beat the game as a sniper? I just can't do it. Things take too long to kill.

Luck, tons of luck, just play him for the cheevoz and forget him unless you get into a coop party (I'm pretty sure Sniper and Enforcer are a great combo).
That or try so much making a heaven's cracker drops that it sours your game experience.

Drones can help too, what with his fourth skill being a damage amplifier for those moments you can get a boss to not to path into you and using his second skill.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »

If I quit to the main menu in a game, will it save the level I am on? Otherwise I'm gonna have to leave it open.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:15 pm »

Nope Micro, no saves.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2013, 12:06:16 am »

That seems to be quite the oversight.... Does the dev know that all everyone wants to do is get 100 of each item and slaughter 100 bosses at once?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2013, 12:50:05 am »

That seems to be quite the oversight.... Does the dev know that all everyone wants to do is get 100 of each item and slaughter 100 bosses at once?

It's a lot less fun than it sounds. After a while, you hit critical mass and your growth ends up outpacing the difficulty increase. (At least on easy and normal. Haven't gotten to that point on Monsoon-- I tend to just finish it instead of aiming for immortality.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2013, 01:29:13 am »

I'm sure that the lack of saving is intentional to limit the length of the game. After playing it for 4 hours straight (on Rainstorm), I can say that you get almost the same experience in 3 hours. It becomes a mess of noise, you just go through the motions of attacking and retreat without knowing where exactly you are and what you're hitting.

And without a save system, you can't just interrupt the game when you're feeling like it's too much of a grind and come back later to your daily hour of gun noises and monster screams; if you feel like you've had enough, you just go to the last level and finish the game, nice and clean. If you could pick up at that point later, you'd probably hate it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

Hmm. Any advice as to how to not be so completely terrible at this? I only managed to get to the fourth level in single player once, and otherwise have been stuck being.. well, terrible. Keep dying, regardless of how quickly I run to the teleporter (assuming I can even find it). I managed to unlock the sniper through coop, and have the enforcer, bandit, miner, and huntress through single-player. Otherwise, I just can't succeed at anything whatsoever... and I refuse to turn the difficulty to drizzle. Any advice?

All I can say is find the teleporter as soon as possible. You would need someone to watch you to scratch out the details of what you need to do. I could list dozens of pretty long tips, but that would take a ton of time and you might not need even half of them.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:22 am »

How in the name of all that is holy is it possible to get the Commando achievement: Activate the 3rd teleporter without getting hurt once?

Seems like complete and utter lunacy.

... On that note, I just got the "Block for 5 minutes straight" achievement. Maybe it is possible....

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2013, 09:52:16 am »

Play very cautiously with friends.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:01 pm »

What does "beating the game" actually involve? A friend and I got so far that we started going back through the previous levels AGAIN, and we assumed it just kept going on and on infinitely. Unfortunately, he had to leave in the middle of the session, so we both decided to die real quick, and I ended up not getting the "beat the game once" achievement.

Just how far do you have to go to win?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »

When you complete a "divine" teleporter  (not sure if it's actually called that but I've seen it referred this way before in the thread), you are presented with two options: A, the same key you used in previous levels, takes you back through the old levels. Q will advance you to the final level. The divine teleporter first and always always appears on the (third?) level, the temple - it has those large-ish robots that shoot glowing spheres. All subsequent teleporters are also divine, so if you accidentally hit A, you just need to clear one more level/teleporter. Usually if you've survived that long, you can probably survive everything and people start farming items at that point.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:34 pm »

-snip-
The divine teleporter first and always always appears on the (third?) level, the temple
-snip-
Fifth level.  The "Holy Temple" or whatever.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2013, 09:40:43 pm »

So, anyone want to co-op? I feel like co-op.

Perhaps there is some sort of server list?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20