Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42062 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

So I gave it a try on my friend's file... and after playing with the commando, enforcer, engineer, then Acrid... finished it off on my first try on Acrid.

Is Acrid really easy to use, or was I mostly carried through by the Happiest Mask, that I got off the boss of the first stage?

And, I wish it let you keep playing after finishing the game. I guess that's why it gives the loopback on the final teleporter, but... didn't know it automatically ended. Would've at least taken a screenshot of all my stuff. =(
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 06:21:03 pm »

Anyone got a spare copy that they would trade for either "Don't Starve", "Natural Selection 2", or torchlight 2?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 08:00:47 pm »

Lel BSOD while owning bosses. 180 minutes in. Wasn't even fighting all that many things.

The miner unlock, are there only two layouts to the magma caverns? In that game, my first pass through the caverns I had the layout with the pod in the lower right, past the lava. I could even reach it because I had the... jump jets, I forget what they're called (not the rusty jets that make you jump higher, but the ones that allow you limited flight with the gas meter). But I couldn't activate it like I expected. What did I miss about it?

Edit: Well, never mind. Despite this being the third or fourth time I've been to the pod, this was the first time I saw Direseeker.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:53:23 pm by Niveras »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2013, 06:30:40 am »

Does anyone have a strategy against the Cremator? I mainly play Acrid, and that's the only boss that really gives me trouble. I can't melee it, caustic sludge is useless, all I can do is wait for the cooldown of my ranged attacks and climb up and down to dodge the rocks. It takes forever and my drones always get destroyed.
What can I do?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2013, 08:36:03 am »

Does anyone have a strategy against the Cremator? I mainly play Acrid, and that's the only boss that really gives me trouble. I can't melee it, caustic sludge is useless, all I can do is wait for the cooldown of my ranged attacks and climb up and down to dodge the rocks. It takes forever and my drones always get destroyed.
What can I do?

Have you thought about getting the missile barrage/instant minefield/sawblade active? Haven't lived long enough to fight that turtle (I blame those winged lemurians, they are the bane of my existence) but it seems that those upgrades, coupled with other passives of that kind could work (missile launcher, panic mines, barbed wire, tesla, ukulele, etc).
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:58 am »

What can I do?

Have you thought about getting the missile barrage/instant minefield/sawblade active? Haven't lived long enough to fight that turtle (I blame those winged lemurians, they are the bane of my existence) but it seems that those upgrades, coupled with other passives of that kind could work (missile launcher, panic mines, barbed wire, tesla, ukulele, etc).
Yeah, I try to do that (sawmerang is my favorite), but I'm not always lucky enough to get an agressive active item. And the passives increase the damage on hit, but Acrid doesn't have an attack that gets many hits because the character is based around poison damage. Also, upgrades based on melee aren't usable because I lose about a third of my health if the Cremator gets too close. :(

I don't know what class you're using, but drones might help against the winged fiends.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2013, 10:19:50 am »

steam only?

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2013, 10:34:18 am »

-Grakathum-
-Snip-
I don't know what class you're using, but drones might help against the winged fiends.

I just started buying drones, always thought they were useless but after I finished the game (with drones saving me from that winged horde of death and pain)...
I didn't think drones were useful. Thanks for the advice.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2013, 01:01:22 pm »

What can I do?

I just stood there, attacked it while I took the hits as it charged right through me, and got out of the way to heal up/let my drones heal up when necessary. Worked well enough, but I did have a pretty big drone army at the time, which helped.

Edit: Okay, I got there with an awesome anti-mass setup... which meant it was useless to go 1v1 on the Cremator. He crushed me as Acrid this time. Totally would've cleaned up against the Mother of Many though...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:07:01 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2013, 01:55:01 pm »

Against the Cremator, as the Acrid, you could always use your 2nd and 4th abilities against it when it charges you, that should always hit it.  I think your 4th ability might actually be able to do damage to it even if you hit it from behind, because of how it works.  Other than that, maybe put some poison in the way?  Get a few hits on it when it charges, drones are always helpful, and maybe a good active item or something.  Other than that, yeah you're gonna face the problem most melees do against that thing.

EDIT:  Also, I finally found the secret stage today, that's actually quite a hilarious little area.

The miner unlock, are there only two layouts to the magma caverns? In that game, my first pass through the caverns I had the layout with the pod in the lower right, past the lava. I could even reach it because I had the... jump jets, I forget what they're called (not the rusty jets that make you jump higher, but the ones that allow you limited flight with the gas meter). But I couldn't activate it like I expected. What did I miss about it?

Edit: Well, never mind. Despite this being the third or fourth time I've been to the pod, this was the first time I saw Direseeker.
Well, I guess you unlocked him, that's good.  He's a pretty strong guy who has a lot of mobility (the item you were talking about was the Photon Jetpack, which has the trolliest freaking unlock ever).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 01:57:44 pm by Karkov »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »

Yeah, it's a bit annoying when enemies often spawn basically in the very last second of the teleporter timer. But I'm having way more difficulty doing the ironman stuff (activate third teleporter with commando without getting hit, kill legendary wisp with huntress without taking damage; I don't think I've even seen a "legendary wisp" on any run yet, even the ones that have finished the game). They'd probably be easier if I played with people.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2013, 02:43:10 pm »

Getting to the third teleporter without getting hit is practically impossible solo.  Not totally impossible, but practically.  When they say "Legendary" Wisp, they mean the Ancient Wisp, which is in the second stage (which you can go back to and kill it instantly later and not care about that achievement too much).

The not getting hit more than once until you're level 10 as the Miner is tricky too, so I'd say get a good friend and try to go get those.  It's ridiculous to try it otherwise.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »

I wondered if that's what the achievement meant, but with the overloaded magma worm I figured the legendary wisp was just a super-special kind of boss that only appears at the last difficulty.

I like the game well enough, but I wish there was more variety. It would be nice if the other bosses had a couple variants like the overloaded worm, not just "elite" versions like frenzied or flaming. The maps could also do with a couple more layouts variants as well. Feels a lot of like a 2d versions of Binding of Isaac but I doubt it'll take me 166 hours to unlock/find everything.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2013, 03:53:27 pm »

Hmm. Using the stopwatch does NOT keep lightning (like an Overcharged Worm...) from going off. Bugger it all...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20