Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: From Napoleon to Beyond (Nation Management Game)  (Read 24511 times)

intelligentmoron

• Bay Watcher
  • Basically, the economy runs on fairy magic.
    • View Profile
Re: From Napoleon to Beyond (Nation Management Game)
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2013, 07:52:46 pm »

I'm not planning to Westernize China, don't be ridiculous. Was the shipping industry stoverized when it incorporated steamships? No! Just take a few concepts, make them Chinese, and use them to make China all the greater.
A noble effort but with a few snags. This isn't the equivalent of introducing a new piece of equipment to an industry, this is Is introducing a whole new way of life which is intrinsically and necessarily opposed to every value and philosophy towards life the chinese hold dear. It's hard to imagine simply taking the benefits of western technology without the societal change and revolution the must come along with it.
Perhaps some extent, but that doesn't mean I need to adopt Western culture. Changes? Probable. Western Xerox? Improbable.
you personally don't have adopt western culture but the people will, it happens without asking. They'll begin dressing in western styles, adopting western mannerisms, the people would adopt western culture or atleast certain aspects of it. Likely you will remain uniquely Chinese but much different than before after being blended with the west. A great example of this is modern day Japan in that while, retaining a unique flavor to their culture, an average American would not feel as if he were in a totally alien land.
I'll put something here.

Eventually...

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:15 pm »

Actually I just finished.  I'll post the war turn for the two.  That forced march ability is overpowered,
but it was also overpowered irl. 

This is going really well.  Much better than the thirteen colonies thing I had before. 

Turn 2 ~ 1802

Russia

First things first. (2) You know what that means Russia. No iron roads for you yet.  ;) (if anyone takes the hint, pm me and I'll roll for you too. You must include the keyword in your pm)

Conscription begins.  200,000 new recruits flock to the chance for another great Italian campaign.  You send an emmisary to the Chinese to ally with them. 

The Russians march onward to Austria, but their prized weapon, the Pulitsky Cannon breaks in the middle of Austria.  You really did not think things through with that thing, and it is almost complete garbarge.  Time for the Mark II?(1)

Japan

So, the Eastern Nation decides to have a cultural exchange  to ease tensions between traditionalists and western powers.  Several important Japanese Samurai visit Moscow and talk about wafare. Your tactics intermingle, and both sides feal an influence from each other.  Nobody, not even me, the GM, knows what that'll do.  Several Russians are given katanas as gifts from the Samurai. 

France

Remember the country you failed to take, Egypt?  Well you left your army there outnumbered for about a year.  Whoops.  No point in trying to save them anymore. 

The majick word was foraging.  Your troops were close enough to get supplies in from home, but in Austria, supplies take time to get from home to the army.  Austria does not have this problem, because it is at home.  Napoleon orders his men to scavenge the land for food, his men do so, and they take food from nearby farms.  Thanks to Napoleon's genius, and becaus I don't want a completly incompetent France, he uses forced marches to cut the time it takes to get to Austria in half and catch up to them before they even get there. 

Those Privateers are still at it.  Your meditaranean fleet is spread across the Mediteranean.  You have two more shots at unveiling the true perpetrator.  Your fleet remains in dock, and the blockade continues. 

Britain

America

China

The Ottomans

Spain

Ethiopia

Ras Gugas raises an army of 6,000 men.  He marches across and k

Sweden

The Swedes take their troops and march across the border to Norway.  They want their land back, and begin the march into Denmark.   

Prussia

Prussia continues with getting a bigger army.  they now have a decently sized army of about 160k and a reserve army of 40k.

Austria

Austia mobilises the economy to produce cannons and such.  Unfortunatly, because the French are so fast, the Austrian army has to move up north to get away. 

War!

French VS. Austria

The French take their army east into Austria.  The rest of the Austrian army (50,000 men) that partook in the battle retreats north into Switzerland and fortifies the area.  The Austrian Army moves east into Austria. 

Napoleon has a chance to see this.  On a 4, 5, or 6 he notices this.  (3)
Whoops, Napoleon marched so quickly that he did not see the Austrians regroup to the North. 

The battle takes place in the east of lombardia at . 

The some of the reinforcements make it, namely the 20 cannons, but 80,000 men are delayed.  (3)

The Austrians are in a great position to hit the enemy army hard.  Once the Austrian army is regrouped, it attacks Napoleon in a flank attack. 

The main Austrian army makes a charge too.  Napoleon uses a good 80,000 men while the Austrians encircle it with an army of 40,000 on both sides. (2vs1)

The Austrians move first.  1,2,3 Austria, 4,5,6 France  (3)

Their encirclement tips the balance in their favor and the French flank is in dire straights.  (4)

The French hold on though, getting some reinforcements, but not enough to turn the tide.  (3)

The next day of the battle ends it thought, the main Austrian army moves to charge through the French lines.  The Northern flank's fire and the charging Austrians rout the enemy completely.  (6)

The war does not end there though. 

The Battle of Lombardia

With half the French army routing, the Austrians attack.  The french are completely suprised with the out come and some of their field artillery are destroyed.  (1vs4)

Continuing the war, the French army, now pretty demoralized send in fresh troops.  Napoleon will not make anymore mistakes.  A more even clash between small armies occurs.  (3vs2)

The Austrians have 30,000 men fighting against Napoleons 40,000. 

1,2,3 Austria goes first, 456 France goes first (2)

Austria marches across the field almost unscathed (5)

Napoleon is also doing well and he repulses the attack, but is unable to seize the innitiative.  They begin to recieve reinforcements.  (5)

The next day, the Austians again mount up for an attack.  They bring in 20,000 more men.  (5)

Napoleon takes the innitiative and charges.  (6)

The Austrians repulse the attack.  (6)

The next day 20,000 troops arrive, but the Austrian momentum is gone.  (4)

The troops are tired on both sides.  It seems as both sides are getting nowhere.  (3)

Napoleon leads another charge.  (5)

Random.org causes this to be a stalemate. By almost the entire armies on both sides have amassed into this massive battle. This battle can determine the fate of the war.  (5)

Austria charges. (5)

Napoleon counter charges. (6)

Finaly Austria makes a small mistake.  (4)

Napoleon exploits the mistake to make it bigger. (4+1 for Napoleons specialty =5)

The Austrians do not recover.  (2)

The French continue their charge.  (4)

The Austrians do a tactical retreat. (3)

Casualties ~ Please note that deserting was a common pratice of this time.  Conscription meant that people who did not want to fight had to fight.  Casualties may differ from troops left because of the men who quit earlier. 

French - 30,000

Austrians - 50,000

Troops Left

French - About 120,000 ~ Feeling Awesome

Austrians - About 90,000 ~ their morale is shattered.  (so bad I didn't capitalize.  )

And the war is still not over. :P  We have a whole campaign left. 

The French continue to crush the Austrians going at about the speed of a five die roll. 
The Austrians must roll a five or higher to regroup or be crushed again.   (4) Nope
Army almost eliminated, but the guys left just quit.  You have 40,000 terrified men left and should REALLY get some timely help from a certain Eastern country that is green.  :(

I'll post the rest of the turn tomorrow or tonight on my phone.  Probably tomorrow.  But yeah, Napoleon loses he gets forced march bonus, but if he loses twice, then he must roll or his army will die.  Yeah, overpowered, but so was ~Napoleon~.  :)

The war would have ended then and there, but the Russians are sitting in the middle of Austria doing nothing!  You'll see when I post the full turn.  (I rolled for reinforcements there).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2013, 08:11:17 pm »

I'm not planning to Westernize China, don't be ridiculous. Was the shipping industry stoverized when it incorporated steamships? No! Just take a few concepts, make them Chinese, and use them to make China all the greater.
A noble effort but with a few snags. This isn't the equivalent of introducing a new piece of equipment to an industry, this is Is introducing a whole new way of life which is intrinsically and necessarily opposed to every value and philosophy towards life the chinese hold dear. It's hard to imagine simply taking the benefits of western technology without the societal change and revolution the must come along with it.
Perhaps some extent, but that doesn't mean I need to adopt Western culture. Changes? Probable. Western Xerox? Improbable.
you personally don't have adopt western culture but the people will, it happens without asking. They'll begin dressing in western styles, adopting western mannerisms, the people would adopt western culture or atleast certain aspects of it. Likely you will remain uniquely Chinese but much different than before after being blended with the west. A great example of this is modern day Japan in that while, retaining a unique flavor to their culture, an average American would not feel as if he were in a totally alien land.
The difference is that, as noted several posts ago, China at this time is violently opposed to Westernization. That scenario requires them to willingly become Westernized.

Anyways...can't wait to see how China's stuff turns out!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »

<TCM being a dumbass>
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:35:57 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »

What gave you that impression? The number of nations whose turns are missing? The note that he'd finish the turn tomorrow?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:36 pm »

What gave you that impression? The number of nations whose turns are missing? The note that he'd finish the turn tomorrow?

Oh, I thought he was only talking about the Napoleonic War. Shit.

Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »

I love how nobody freaks out that almost the entire Austrian army is gone.  You guys must have been prepared.  I was pretty suprised.  I figured they would've held the French off and slowly made it to French soil.  But unfortunately we got sort of historical results.  The Russians are next on Napoleon's slaughter list.  Their troops are terrified of Napoleon. 

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2013, 09:00:22 pm »

Is this going to be the kind of alternate where the first several turns are historically accurate but by 1941 we'll be in WWII, which consists of Ireland, Luxembourg and Belgium teamming up to prevent King John F Kennedy of the United Empire of Mexicana from invading Nazi Russia and stealing the world's supply of vodka cooler?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2013, 09:11:17 pm »

If JFK was leading an empire at 23-24, he would be Alexander the Great's peer.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »

How'd you know.  ;) Yeah if you really wanted, you could do that but those countries are tiny, and it would not be worth it.  It would take a team effort to make that happen.  The game will rely on players making deals for peace, but in war, it's a fair chance of Napoleon rolling a one and losing his entire army.  That would be funny.  Of course I'm being a politician right now, so I'll give you the short answer.  No. 

Is this going to be the kind of alternate where the first several turns are historically accurate but by 1941 we'll be in WWII, which consists of Ireland, Luxembourg and Belgium teamming up to prevent King John F Kennedy of the United Empire of Mexicana from invading Nazi Russia and stealing the world's supply of vodka cooler?

Damn phone! Puts things were I don't want them. 

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:12 pm »

Wait. Who thinks Russians are cowards?

Vodka makes for excellent courage.

Besides, I have an ace in the hole.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »

The Russians are next on Napoleon's slaughter list.  Their troops are terrified of Napoleon.
Only if Napoleon wants to see how he fares against General Winter leading a massive Chinese army.
With katana.

Who knows?
Oh, and you left out the bit where China is a massive industrial powerhouse who no one dares attack or offend overmuch. Which isn't too much unlike reality, I guess.
(Oh, and just to note: I don't think JFK was old enough to be President in 1941.)

Fools, corpses, and people who have dominated Dr. T. Heavy.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »

Who knows?
Oh, and you left out the bit where the Russo-Sino Alliance is a massive industrial powerhouse who no one dares attack or offend ever in any way shape or form. Which isn't too much unlike reality, I guess.
(Oh, and just to note: I don't think JFK was old enough to be President in 1941.)

Fixed it for you. Which reminds me, I need to PM you some more...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2013, 09:39:29 pm »

Blasted French Cheathacks...
I'll be working on the Austrian comeback.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:27 pm »

The Russians are next on Napoleon's slaughter list.  Their troops are terrified of Napoleon.
Only if Napoleon wants to see how he fares against General Winter leading a massive Chinese army.
With katana.

Who knows?
Oh, and you left out the bit where China is a massive industrial powerhouse who no one dares attack or offend overmuch. Which isn't too much unlike reality, I guess.

Fools, corpses, and people who have dominated Dr. T. Heavy.

Why would China get involved?  Even if they did, how long and expensive would it take, just to get to Russia.  Maybe when steamboats are made.  :S Anyways, Russia is in Austria to help them, but their prized cannon broke.  They have no sense in lugging that paper weight around. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22