Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: From Napoleon to Beyond (Nation Management Game)  (Read 24492 times)

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From Napoleon to Beyond (Nation Management Game)
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 01:34:08 am »

Plus I've put a few actions into those diplomatic meetings so you'll need to see those anyways.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 07:36:22 am »

For whatever reason I just had to hover over the text and it translated.  I don't question my computer anymore, it just decides to do things on its own.  Oh the above post says all.  :P
Huh, I hadn't noticed he did that...hey, it was edited! That explains that.

Wait. The other turn got posted? Wow, I've completely missed that.
So where was the turn posted?
EDIT: I'm not that blind, am I?
No, he just edited it into a previous post.
IN ANOTHER THREAD! A HA HA HA! No, seriously, it was this one.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:32 am »

We are CCing them so that you are not left in the dark. It is generally polite to keep the GM informed of that sort of stuff. If you don't want to know, I will stop.

It would be nice to know, I guess.  Also anything major like territory swaps would have to be consensual.  You can't just force territory on them, it would cause problems if Spain just decided to give South America to the US.  There would be the chance of several wars, and the US might not want that.  Seeing as Jefferson had to think about annexing the Louisiana Purchase, he would probably have to hold off on South America for a while.  Just have both sides pm me yes if that is the case.   

Wait. The other turn got posted? Wow, I've completely missed that.

So where was the turn posted?

EDIT: I'm not that blind, am I?

You'd probably want the same thing, I'd just like more details.  Investing heavily into the military means better troops, and that is not the best idea in this time, as millions of men versus a couple thousands of men does not work really well in any situation.  Mobilizing the industry means making more guns though, so I'll take that as increasing in army size.  Of course nobody said what they wanted their army to be like but Russia, and that was doomed to failure.  :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:32:08 am by alamoes »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 12:51:31 pm »

Well...yeah. I need better guns for it to work properly.

But hey, if anybody wants to wage a war of attrition with russia and china, I'm sure we'd be happy to oblige...scorched earth and white skies, my friend.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 01:45:30 pm »

I'd LOVE to be in a war of attrition with both Russia and China!
Provided I was on their side of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

Also anything major like territory swaps would have to be consensual.  You can't just force territory on them, it would cause problems if Spain just decided to give South America to the US.  There would be the chance of several wars, and the US might not want that.  Seeing as Jefferson had to think about annexing the Louisiana Purchase, he would probably have to hold off on South America for a while.  Just have both sides pm me yes if that is the case.
But white elephants are so Fun!

I'd LOVE to be in a war of attrition with both Russia and China!
Provided I was on their side of course.
That's the only good way to be in a war of attrition--on the winning side. (Protected from direct attrition by hundreds of miles of your allies' land on one side and hundreds of miles of ocean on the other...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 02:03:54 pm »

Wait, I think I counted someone's post twice.  Does anyone know if China posted?  It should be yellow and not orange.  The update is being held up on that.  If you find it, just quote it for me in another post.  Never mind, I found them.  I remembered that they posted in Prussian by accident. 

The First Consulate of France

With the fate of Europe resting on his hands, First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte leads the Republic to glory or death.  Faced with warfare Napoleon begins amass a huge army of over half a million troops to add to his glorious army.  Napoleon also adds several squadrons to the navy too.  Not enough to rival the British, but it is a start.  Napoleon moves 160,000 men into Italy.  Napoleon sets forth with fixing the economy.  With a raise in troops comes a raise in taxes.  The old indirect taxes are put into place again to compensate for the war.  The public do not seem to mind, as they are too proud of their country to care.  Napoleon's popularity does not hurt either in keeping the people from rebelling.  The French navy sets out to hamper any British efforts in the channel. 

The United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland

The King sends the Prime Minister, Henry Adding-ton to deal with the French. The British mount an army of about 80,000 men to invade France.  Most of the navy has centralized for such a momentous occasion.  The British government is under much duress as those loans taken out for the French and Indian Wars are still there.  They have become even worse for the British after both the revolution and the war of the first coalition.  The Prime Minister holds a meeting with the brightest minds of the country that will one day be famous as the Shrews-bury meeting.  In it many different tactical ideas were thought of.  In the end it was decided that troops would land and take key areas around forts and lay sieges of around 15000 each.  Then once the forts have fallen, they will meet up into one massive army and march on Paris.  (Just as a notice, if you fail, you will not be able to do this again due to massive debt.  After Austria and you fall, peace will need to be settled and the economy fixed.  Peace will obviously on French terms)

Russian Empire

Many of the Russian nobles are emancipating the serfs.  Instead, the nobles own land on which the people living there work for pay.  They can now own their own homes.  Still, mostly everyone keeps their serfs bound and subservience, and the people who "free" them keep the in economic slavery.  The emperor increases the size of the navy to about forty ships, doubling it from the very weak twenty, and putting a small fleet of ten in the east. 

The Austrian Empire

Austria calls its citizenry to join the army!  The most evil man in Europe, Napoleon Bonaparte, is coming to slaughter everyone in Austria and take their women and children. 

Propaganda like that was common in Austria as the Emperor called every able bodied citizen to arms.  a half million men joined up to fight against Napoleon's army.  An army of 140,000 marched into Italy to fight the first battle of the Italian campaign and hopefully end the war. 

The Ottoman Empire

The Ottoman Empire focuses on building a navy to help combat the French.  They build 10 more ships to make 30.  They send out merchants to trade with the Austrians and Russians.  In order to help combat the stagnation of their empire, they attempt to become allies with neighboring Islamic nations.  Most do not join an alliance, but they do agree not to fight for fear that doing so will allow the Christians to invade.  (3)

The Kingdom of Prussia

The Prussian army awaits the coming war with pride and nationalism.  In order to protect against the French threat, they start to draft the citizenry into their army.  The Prussians also start investing in better uniforms, unlike their eastern counterparts with the same name minus a P, who don't even have socks for their soldiers.  (they added them in 2012 irl)

The United States of America

The US President has sent a message of demands to the British, asking about several matters such as the forts in Ohio.  Not all issues were pressed upon, such as the issue of impressment of american ships to the British Navy, but the Americans asked for smaller measures.  Surprisingly, Britain pulled out troops from the Ohio forts ceded to the US in  the treaty of Paris.  This allowed US troops to occupy the forts.  Ten out of every British soldier were sent home to help with the war effort.  This alleviated international pressure on the American government to focus on internal matters.  The president passes laws encouraging the building of ships and lumber.  It does not really do much but streamline the process of getting the paperwork to chop down trees.  Merchants complain about the fact that the British are taking their ships in order to help with their war effort.  This makes many Americans join party of war-hawks, who seek to war with Britain.  If the war-hawks gain a majority in congress, war is guaranteed.  The president, Thomas Jefferson, appears to agree with these war-hawks, and starts the construction of a decently sized navy.  Not even close to be able to match the power of Britain, but almost a the French's level before they expanded their navy. 

The Shogunate of Japan

The shogunate requests the import of Russian Matchlock guns.  The Russians do them one better and send them modern flintlock muskets for their use.  The Samurai are outraged!  They press the country to limit the amount of fire arms brought into the country, as it destroys any and all skill in favor of dishonorable mass volleys.  So, will you be dishonorable, provoking revolution and destroying the Samurai's way of life, or will you stop the importation of western fire arms? 

The Kingdom of Spain

Spain is at this time, under the thumb of Napoleon Bonaparte.  The current political occupier is Charles IV.  The Spanish King attempts to enact colonial reforms, giving the people in Mexico and South America more political power.  The Spanish begin to raise an army to threaten Portugal with.  Portugal is ripe for conquest, but will need to be warred with to take down.  Spain is at war with everyone Napoleon is at war with.  Spain attempts to make relations better with it's liege lord and promote trade between the two.  (I did some research on the topic and found that the french took Spain in the first coalition and Spain is at war with everyone else except the US.  Spain is still Bourbon though.)

The Celestial Empire of China

China's Glorious Heavenly Celestial Empire decides to send out diplomats to the neighboring countries.  They have yet to have any response (Players doing diplomacy between themselves through player messaging seems to be popular.)

The Glorious Emperor decides to increase the number of merchants and send them out with trade goods to learn about the western civilizations. 

Major Battles

The French army and the Austrian army meet for the first time in Italy.  The French have 160,000 men in their army led by Napoleon himself.  The Austrians have 140,000 men lead by Peter Karl Ott von Batorkez.  The Italian states have only recently been liberated, so no men join the Austrians in the battle. 

The battles of this time were not huge yet, and only 40,000 (4) of Napoleons troops took the field against Austria's 50,000 (5). 

The battle was fought in the Lowlands of Lombardy (1)

The Austrians moved first on the French.  (6)

Napoleon's troops were completely surprised and began to rout. (1)

The retreat was turned into a crushing victory when 40,000 reinforcements arrived and rallied the retreating troops.  (5)

The Austrians held their own against the massive army, but slowly retreated back to Austrian soil. (3)

In the North the British launch their fleet in the channel.  The French scramble to intercept them.  The British have 60 ships and the French have 30.  The French are defeated soundly.  It is because the British have too good of a navy to be beaten.  They take heavy losses of 6 ships. (4)

The British navy begins to invade the mainland under Arthur Wellesley with several armies of 15,000 to combine to 80,000, but the invasion slows to a crawl, as French coastal forts take longer than planned to capture. (1)

This allows the French to mass a large army of 40,000 men to mop up the small armies of the British. 

They get to defeat most of the armies and the British are knocked out of the war militarily.  (5)

Surprise! The French Mediterranean fleet of ten ships is being attacked by Privateers!  They are forced to retreat immediately and sail into port with minimal losses.  I wonder who sent them?  If you guess it right on the first two tries I will tell you. 

Prussia

If you post a more detailed post, I will edit it into your turn.  It may not be something international, it must be an internal action.  I noticed you posted while I wrote up the turn, so that is why I say this. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:33:49 pm by alamoes »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »

You'd probably want the same thing, I'd just like more details.  Investing heavily into the military means better troops, and that is not the best idea in this time, as millions of men versus a couple thousands of men does not work really well in any situation.  Mobilizing the industry means making more guns though, so I'll take that as increasing in army size.  Of course nobody said what they wanted their army to be like but Russia, and that was doomed to failure.  :P

Sorry about that. I've been rather sick and blah for the past couple of days. I'll try to spit out a more detailed turn soon.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2013, 03:41:13 pm »

Sorry, I must make a retraction.  They used to use portyanki, a traditional Russian foot cloth that ties back all the way to the old imperial army, but now they are being forced into using socks.  Traditionalists prefer the portyanki and claim it is more comfortable.  Liberals prefer the sock because it does not cause blisters if put on incorrectly. 

Apparently Prussians also used foot wraps at this time.  :P  Who knew?

Here are soviet instructions on how to put on the portyanki. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:56:29 pm by alamoes »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »

General Karl stands in the command tent of the invasion front.
This is unacceptable, running from the French dogs back into friendly soil. We must break their will, and show them why they must fear the Austrians! Ready the battle plans, we move out immediately.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »

Domestic:
Enhance matters of trading and the economy. Start paying back the debts.
Continue expanding the colonies in Africa and Australia.
Foreign:
Enhance the blockade on France. I may of been beaten on the land but the French shall not beat us on the seas!
Only steal American Ships that try to directly go through the blockade. Ship any American crew members back to the US.

More to be added later when I think of them.
1s. How do they work?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:32:12 am by Emral282 »

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2013, 05:11:35 pm »

PTW and if I can try a similar waitlist watever thing like TCM,

Also for nearly the entire napoleonic wars Britain was at war with france and could do so thanks to its navy, none could rival it!
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »

Ottoman Turn

1) Continue expanding the Med. fleet, financed by the increased taxation/berthing fees levied on non-islamic shipping.

2) Dispatch military observers to Austria to learn from the battles taking place - offer imporved trading terms as leverage. Begin instruction of our armies in whatever gems of knowledge they uncover as soon as is practical.

3) Begin small scale mobilization - gather men and weapons and have them converge in the north western border provinces, but have them only deployed in a defensive manner (constructing earthworks, pickets and battery positions). This will probably require an increase in the production of arms and artilliery, if our resources and infrastructure allow for it.

4) Offer a series of small scale prizes (minor stipends and titles) exclusivly for islamic scholars who can offer improvements to the production or technologies emplyed by our forces. ENsure word of these is spread far and wide over the empire and neighbouring islamic nations.

5) Dispatch a cadre of "veteran" naval officers to instruct the navy of the USA as per the deal negotiated via PM last turn in exchange for naval vessels.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:48:11 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51:51 pm »

A resounding laughter could be heard from inside the command tent, the pale fabric seeming to vibrate from the elated man inside. Napoleon stared intently upon the reports on a small wooden table, grinning ear to ear. This was good news. Better than good. Even if their navy defeated his, the British weren't able to penetrate the French's defenses! This was perfect, utterly perfect. Now they could focus on the Austrians, and end the war upon their terms. He grinned at one of his captains, a man who seemed to share the merry news.

Napoleon pressed the report into the man's chest, saying, "Aller! Go tell the men of our victory. The British weren't mighty enough to even penetrate very far into France! They're done! We can focus on the foolish Austrians now! The men will leap with happiness at these news, and kill five dogs for every loss we sustain with their valor!" The captain nodded, walking briskly out of the tent. Shouts could be heard from a distance as the captain gave the news to his underlings to spread. The French were ready for victory. They MUST not botch their chance.

French Orders:

Put the navy on the defensive, if any battles are to be fought, fight them in range of the coast-side cannons. We can prevent the British using their superior navy to allow troops from an ally country on our soil.

Have Napoleon rally the men, and discuss the battle plans with advisories (Will PM actual ideas and movements) in preparation for their next move. Keep morale high, and use Monsieur Bonaparte as a figurehead of seemingly invincible origin. Also, use news of the British defeat upon French soil as one of the main motivators to beat the Austrians. Even if they outnumber us, which they really don't, Morale can win or lose a battle, and we cannot rout.

If we can support a steadily growing army with our political and social states as they are, then make little to no changes with taxing, laws, etc in order to keep the people happy. If more taxation or other things are required but would demoralize citizens, find a way to slip it around them, and spread propaganda.

Naval commanders might have an idea on who launched the Privateers. They decide to discuss the possibilities. (PM)

Order the 40k~ army that dealt with the British to relocate. (Details in PM, as well.)

Assuming we've taken prisoners or looted from the enemy dead, I have potential plans. (Also PM)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:56:05 pm by Gamerboy4life »
I need to put something interesting here.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »

PTW and if I can try a similar waitlist watever thing like TCM,

Also for nearly the entire napoleonic wars Britain was at war with france and could do so thanks to its navy, none could rival it!

Actually, the longest peace was from 1801-1805.  Only 4 years, but enough for Britain to solve many internal problems and gear up for war.   
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22