Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Civitas - Simcity done right? Also kickstarter. Now with video.  (Read 4200 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Civitas - Simcity done right? Also kickstarter. Now with video.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:42 pm »

Three reviews and they chose to pick a line referencing SimCity from every single one, not to mention the complete lack of any even remotely interesting features beyond 'yay, build a city!'. Great, yet another wannabe project.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:52 pm »

They're just using the wake of the simcity launch to get people fired up about their dream project. I'd be wary of this.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 03:32:39 pm »

As much as I truely want this project to succeede, it's setting off too many alarm bells for me to feel comfortable putting my money in. The fact that we don't actually know WHO the devs themselves are, and the fact that the games they quote as them having worked on are entirely diffrent beasts to a management simulation, which although fine from a programming standpoint, is a bit more worrying from a dev team standpoint. That and I've seen too many other projects that were "We're gonna be SimCity, but diffrent" that wound up in the sea of mediocrity. Take the cities XL series for instance. Sorta the same that that happened with the old X-com games and series like UFO After X and others.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:44 pm »

Cities XL is a great example! It just feel dead and uninteresting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 05:06:15 pm »

Cities XL is a great example! It just feel dead and uninteresting.
So true. It had everything you could want. Large scale, pretty visuals, deep simulation... but it just felt like building a model city in your basement. Nothing interesting happened.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 05:29:05 pm »

I think the problem was it still revolved around plopping lots instead of designating zones. In simcity, you directed a city like a living thing. In Cities XL, you were building a city out of blocks.

I would like to see cities that are less directly controlled by the zones and other elements. Slums in particular would be interesting to see where unzoned areas might collect garbage and rubble, or have unlicensed shops open in residential places...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:31 pm »

I think the problem was it still revolved around plopping lots instead of designating zones. In simcity, you directed a city like a living thing. In Cities XL, you were building a city out of blocks.

I would like to see cities that are less directly controlled by the zones and other elements. Slums in particular would be interesting to see where unzoned areas might collect garbage and rubble, or have unlicensed shops open in residential places...
Slums from undisengated zones... thats an interesting concept. But who doesnt zone everything everywhere nearly instantly?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »

One thing I liked about Cities XL and dislike about simcity: The parks. CitiesXL had a flood fill park system, you just designate an area and it is made into a park with the associated benefits. Why do parks need road access? I could understand that for the fields with parking but a fountain plaza? I have a fountain plaza IRL near my house and its in the middle of a bunch of shopping areas, no road access.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »

One thing I liked about Cities XL and dislike about simcity: The parks. CitiesXL had a flood fill park system, you just designate an area and it is made into a park with the associated benefits. Why do parks need road access? I could understand that for the fields with parking but a fountain plaza? I have a fountain plaza IRL near my house and its in the middle of a bunch of shopping areas, no road access.

That has to do with SimCity 5's "roads are all utilities" 'feature'. Need electricity? Build a road. Need water? Build a road.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »

That has to do with SimCity 5's "roads are all utilities" 'feature'. Need electricity? Build a road. Need water? Build a road.
I... don't see how. Parks and plazas don't require any utilities. And tbh I like that feature.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »

Well, its also intimately tied to path finding. But I really like the condensation of roads and utility needs. Often times in RL, roads and utility needs are one and the same. Power Lines, phone lines, sewage and water all flow with the roads.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »

Well, its also intimately tied to path finding. But I really like the condensation of roads and utility needs. Often times in RL, roads and utility needs are one and the same. Power Lines, phone lines, sewage and water all flow with the roads.

In a BIG DENSE city with tons of sub-basements, sure. In what way is 5 big and dense?

I... don't see how. Parks and plazas don't require any utilities. And tbh I like that feature.

A fountain plaza uses multiple utilities.... but not roads.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:22:14 am by BigD145 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »

Suppose a fountain might but in the game it doesn't require water. It still needs road access though.

Meh

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 02:37:33 am »

They really need to show some actual gameplay.  I want to a decent citybuilder, but this is setting off alarm bells I didn't even know I had.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 04:28:48 am »

...this is setting off alarm bells I didn't even know I had.

Goodness, I might have to sig this. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4