Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Civitas - Simcity done right? Also kickstarter. Now with video.  (Read 4191 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

Clickty click

Well look at what popped up at my newsfeed.

Introduction:

Civitas will be a revolutionary, open ended, community driven, highly moddable city building game, where you are not only responsible for terraforming the land, zoning, and building the structures, but you will also be able to manage many other aspects of your civilization. Civitas can either be played as a single player game, or you can play online with other city builders to make entire regions, share resources, and compete for citizens to build the largest city. We will not limit you to one or the other, both will be full featured and complete. Feel free to play it whenever, wherever, and however you want. Civitas will be available for Mac and PC through various digital download services.

The word "Civitas" is the Latin term for "citizenship" or "city-state", which is a great description in itself for what you will be able to build from the ground up in this game.

The very basic flow of the game will follow this design:

Terraform the land
Zone the land for your city
Build the structures that make up your city
Manage all aspects of the city for everything from transportation, utilities, emergency management, natural resources, and commerce.
Continue to grow your city. Meet the demands of the civilization you have created and respond to natural and unnatural disasters to make your city as great as you want it to be. Civitas will include a fully featured day-night system for added realism.
We have already started working hard on the tools and features to allow players to experience a level of freedom that has never been offered in a city simulation game before. But, we are not setting anything in stone. We want to build a community as well as amazing game. We will be asking for feedback from beta users through out the entire development cycle to make sure players have everything they need, and as much freedom as possible.

Who they are:

As you all may have already heard, there have been quite a few studio closings around Austin TX and elsewhere lately. Well, some of us were among the unlucky few caught up in all of that.
*blublub*
So a ragtag team of us released from various studios, of various disciplines in the game development pipeline, and a few that can already see the same "release day layoff" writing on the wall in their near future, decided to try to make a go at it ourselves. I mean, we have spent years working for other people, building their games from the ground up, so why not just do it ourselves? We have worked on several recent AAA titles such as Mortal Kombat, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, Quake 4, Section 8, F.E.A.R., and multiple IOS and mobile titles. Not to mention several unreleased games, some older titles, and some that are still TBA. We have proven ourselves capable of developing quality titles. We have the talent, the skills, personnel, and drive to make a quality game that we hope you will enjoy, but we are missing only one key ingredient...... Which brings us to the uncomfortable part....

We Need Your Help! (aka moneys)

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tl;dr: Ex employees from defunct studios wanna make a proper simcity.

My opinion: Well their page looks.. sketchy. Or maybe they aren't art talented at all in regards to presenatation (I got the feel from reading the entire kickstarter page that their team is mostly coder people, not graphics or PR people).
Also no tech demo video still, just some screenshots, and they have no studio company, the kickstarter project is reigistered on an individual's name, no FB connection, no nothing.
The lack of company seems explanable if they just got fired and are considering if this project will work, but I'm not too sure... Not gonna toss my dollars at them so soon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:07:51 am by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Civitas - Simcity done right? Also kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:14 pm »

I got the feel from reading the entire kickstarter page that their team is mostly coder people, not graphics or PR people

Pretty much my thoughts. We'll wait, we'll see, I guess.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:49:18 pm »

I would prefer to have better information on their former jobs in those companies.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:28:14 pm »

Hmm...not a strong pedigree of strategy games in that list, either.

I think I'll stick this on my watch list. May or may not back it, depending on what they do to prove themselves and this project.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »

Do Not Invest!

This is just a Wish List of Features!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:34:16 pm »

The comments section seems a bit more fleshed out, the author is replying to people all the time, and he said a video is in the works...
And now they posted a twenty minute video of their terraforming prototype. Looking a bit better.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:07:37 am by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:16 am »

I got the feel from reading the entire kickstarter page that their team is mostly coder people, not graphics or PR people

Pretty much my thoughts. We'll wait, we'll see, I guess.

Soooo much better than the alternative. If nothing else, DF proves it can work.

I'm more excited about this than I ever was about Sim City 5. Definitely chipping in.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civitas - Simcity done right? Also kickstarter. Now with video.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:37:50 am »

They're 10% in and have 24 days to go. I've seen less ideal concepts go through. They might need to do two kickstarters, which happens from time to time.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:13:29 pm »

The thing is, given the abysmal lack of developers trying to do a proper city sim, supporting these guys might be a worth shot...  ::)
Just look at the fiasco that simcity 2013 was.

Also, tadpoles.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:43:27 am »

They're not really good at selling their game. On the other hand, it looks like they're more devs than marketing, so they could know  what they're doing. It lacks some informations, and stuff, but that can turn up good.
Also, they maybe just are using the bandwagon against SC5.

I'd wait for more updates, personnaly.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 12:54:18 am »

Actually, you start these things 60 days out, so they started the kickstarter project more than a month ago.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 07:14:25 am »

I find their real time terraforming claim rather strange...

Do we get a shovel and a bucket to fill a lake, or do we need to wait a million year to erode the mountain.

On another note, seeing your guys run around and blow up a mountain would be awesome.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:17 am »

I was promised a video!
Where is!?

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:06 am »

The way they mention Simcity not working reeks of hoping for impulse buyers now to chash into the failure of that launch.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:38:48 am »

I was promised a video!
Where is!?

on the updates tab. And yes, the big drama here is knowing if it is just a bad scam or if they are really really bad at PR  :P

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4