Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35

Author Topic: Net Gain: Corporate Espionage in 2043. Development probably abandoned.  (Read 61981 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Net Gain: Corporate Espionage in 2043. Prototype update
« Reply #330 on: July 20, 2013, 04:58:00 am »

Alright, I've had a goodly amount of time to play the prototype. Here's my thoughts.

-Top of my list: the fluctuations in The Department's budget don't make a lot of sense. I get Intel on a rival corp, my budget goes up. I steal an asset (that's not related to any of my corp's industries), my budget goes down. I've done six missions now and the results are pretty repeatable. (Any asset I get is pretty much automatically stolen back from me a day later. Something not yet done I assume.) Anyways, the notification for it shows up in the news ticker....that's really something that should be a memo with a date/time stamp. I see the value and profits of other corps change too, sometimes dramatically (one went from +$62 to +$162 in just a day; I should know, it's the company whose assets I've been stealing and destroying this whole time!) I figure, there's probably a lot to the wider economic simulation that's either a placeholder or still pretty rough.

-Somewhat related to that, the reward structure for what you're doing needs to be made more clear. At a bare minimum, a memo saying "Slush fund credited on this date" would help the player figure out on average what they're getting for doing certain kinds of missions, or the relationship between what they do, their companies profits and their budget.

-Somewhat related to THAT, when do you basically get your money in your slush fund? After the completion of a mission? After a certain date? I'd think it should come in on a daily basis, weekly at the most. Otherwise you're in the beginning you're stuck in the position of having to do missions to get anywhere, hire any new Operatives or replenish the slush fund.

-Following THAT, your success at the beginning is pretty dependent on your company's starting position. Without enough room in your budget to hire at least one new Operative (three seems to be the minimum you need to get through most missions safely), those first missions are just ugly. Some possibly being red at several points. How plots are set up right now, the Hacker is essential, the Spy is useful and Gunner is specialized at best, possibly only offering one or two better raw stat rolls than the others.

-Mask, Spy, Hacker has gotten me through most missions without problems (there were a couple tight squeezes because there's so many disciplines under the Net School. So often my Spy is getting picked to do computer jobs just based on his raw ability (even though the Hacker has the same capability. Probably just sorting by something else because their skills are the same value.) I just added a Gymnast which seems to have rounded out all my needs. She almost blew it on her first mission, on the final task! Took all her gear to save the roll. Between those 4 I can find almost all ideal plot choices (All the Net stuff, Disguise, Stealth, Deceit, Gymnastics, Athletics. The occasional odd ball Command or Meele or Brawl there's always someone with a 6 skill and gear. That doesn't cut it for all challenges, but it does 90% of them. I've now got a team of six Operatives and can see the appeal of building a large team that covers everything from science to killin' folks to flying your planes and choppers.

-The question for me is, will it come down to preference or necessity? I'd love nothing more than to have 30 people in my employ who are useful and have a purpose, to have that be a worthy goal of game play. But for that to happen, I kind of need the game to say "You need a pilot for this!" rather than me going "You know my pilot has been sitting around doing nothing. I'm going to arbitrarily pick a piloting plot." With all the long term gameplay mechanics like Operative development, varying difficulty levels, heat and such not in game yet, it's probably too early to fret about this. But being that I can only judge that I have in front of me right now....it feels a little bit too much like once you hit the ideal set up, you coast. Like maybe the missions need to demand more variety out of you, encourage you to try different things. If I know that x,y and z are always going to be viable plots choices, then my reasons for doing a,b and c are purely to see the text that says they're doing something, not because it's a game mechanic and it's drawing me in.

-And that really comes down to how plots are generated. Are they a static landscape? "GRU Enterprises always has Athletics/Gymnastics plots available." Is it based on the Intel that's generated? Is it based off the Asset, does it get a list of randomly generated plots when it's created? How, why and when plots are actually set for missions is going to be a big part of the game of how the game plays I think. If your plot options are like a static landscape that is generated when you create your game (and changes a bit over time as new things appear and others disappear), I think that makes for the best kind of simulation. You gradually explore the Net Gain landscape You get to know what sorts of plots work against company x in game y. That's in contrast to "You generated Intel against Asset A, it's generated Plots B,C,D,E,G, even though it's at Company W, which you've raided like 4 times." Or in contrast to "You always get plots your agents think they can do, even if they're not going to succeed at them."

-I know that's a little contradictory but bear with me. To me plots and missions vs. companies and assets cuts to the mental image you build of the game space. It's randomness vs. static choices, variety vs. familiarity. There's definitely pros and cons to both. Randomness keeps things fresh, can require you to do new and risky things. But it can make what you're doing feel arbitrary (which is what usually kills simulations for me because it spoils the illusion that there's something deeper going on.) On the other hand, static choices give you an actual mental landscape you can familiarize yourself with, set goals and challenges in. But it can leave you in a spot where all your options suck.

-Here's an example. Say you want to Steal a Railway (Industrial) Asset. That's like, heavy machinery. Would it make more sense for Heavy Industry Assets to always require some sort of transportation Plot for the final act? Like requiring Move (Helicopter) or (Auto), whereas many plots currently offer hacking/spy for most of the final objectives. That's kind of what I mean about a your mental image of the game space. In order to build this story in your head of your operatives doing stuff, you want a certain logical consistency in place to help. I suppose you could rationalize that your hacker reprograms the asset to transport itself to your HQ...but my brain thinks "Nah, you either have to drive it out yourself or airlift it out." I think assets generating a specific lists of plots you can use against them gets you the best of both worlds, randomness and static. You get a game space where things aren't arbitrary, where you get variety that you is FOUND rather than GENERATED and the world isn't a pure sandbox where what you choose to do ultimately doesn't matter. Anyways, that's enough rambling about that. That's just me weighing what I'll find most fun in the kind of simulation this is shaping up to be.

-It'd be nice if during the planning phase of a mission it told you where the target location is, who it belongs to, ect....I spent a lot of time digging through the corp/company/ menus trying to figure out what belongs to who. Again, trying to build that mental image with all the available data points as conveniently located as possible. And again knowing that i'm the guy complaining about crowding.

-Revealed Assets on the Intel page should go under the corp it belongs to.

-I think time skip rate of } }} and }}} could stand to be halved. At the very least I feel like there's a big gap between } and }},

-Codes names don't update to the mission lists, which I figure is just a feature extension thing not done yet. Makes for confusion though when the codename overwrites any visible record of the Operative's name, trying to remember which op the codename belongs to. Still, big ups on the codenames, I like trying to think up of an interesting name based on the all the data points of Gender, Nationality, Profession and Traits. I honestly am getting DF/LCS levels of enjoyment out of it. So well done.

-I'd love if STATISTICS on the Operative page were displayed as a colored, depleting bar with the number inside.

-I really look forward to gear being spec'd out. Right now it's sort of your "wiggle room" on Missions but it's completely generalized. Once Gear exists as an actual thing Operatives equip, that relate to specific challenges and not just everything, players will feel more strongly about the roles their Operatives play due to customization, and plots won't be quite so easy to fudge your rolls on!

-Operatives need some sort of cooldown time after they've done a mission. Not too long, but like 4 or 5 hours at least where they can't do missions.

-Scouting New Operatives should do one of two things: Either we need to be able to preview the Operative before we pay money to scout them, just like when you hire an Operative, or after they're scouted they need to go into our pool of potential operatives so we can hire them later. Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's an oversight, but I hired a Coder thinking I'd get "Net: Cracking" and instead I got "Net: Utilities" and when I backed out, she wasn't available as a character in my list for hire. So that's $20 basically gambled away, either due to randomness or not knowing what Professions offer what.

-I feel like I want Assets to try to describe themselves a bit better. "Thing/Category" is a little bland, or maybe the description needs to be more focused. Some are fine. Instead of maybe "Bank Asset/Bank" it could be "Loan Title/Bank". Instead of "Airport Asset/Airport" it'd be "Airport Deed/Airport", "Eminent Domain Loophole/Loophole" instead of "Loophole Asset/Loophole." Again, *holds up hand* prototype.

-I hired an Operative (after Scouting them) and they showed as a "Retainer" for a while rather than a "Hired Operative." Then later they became a Hired Operative. What's that about?

Well, I think that's it for now. Really enjoying this build, and I can't wait for more features to be implemented.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:46:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:35 pm »

ok now that i have played this game without it make me feel sick i can say even in its early stage i fucking love it!. Im so eager for the next updates and what this will be like it the future keep it up spark!!!!!

in fact is it still possible to add another $100 to my pledge ?

I also agree with Nenjin  I really hope you do also take into consideration our opinions spark haah :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:37:27 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »

I agree with EVERYTHING Nenjin wrote above. I think it's all very good constructive criticism and I would also love for it to be addressed.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2013, 12:50:38 pm »

Via Paypal I think ScriptWolf.

Question: 
What is the Challenge: ---% under operative name supposed to be?

As for the Corporation and 'you'...  are you just a Johnson within the Corp or some high up Manager/CEO?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 21, 2013, 12:55:08 pm »

As for the Corporation and 'you'...  are you just a Johnson within the Corp or some high up Manager/CEO?

oh oh this one i know !

Due to us unlocking one of the stretch goals this has been expanded a lot. We are brokers within the company sort of like high level managers of deniable operations, When you first start the game you are a junior broker having little power within the company and just doing small operations as time goes on you compete with other brokers within your company for promotions and pay rises so you can go from junior broker to broker then to senior broker ect... ( this is late development stuff though )

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 21, 2013, 01:09:04 pm »

Ah, thanks for the answer, I ask cause apparently you can sell off assets, create new ones and expand capacity... which implies that you are way more then just a broker.  The corporation could be bigger then just the 3 sub-companies I suppose...

The budget you get, is it partially coming from your 3 sub-companies?  As in the corporation takes a huge cut, before operation expenses and what is left is yours?  Needs more budget data... >.>
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 21, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »

Well how I think of it is that brokers are sort of like high management and can "suggest" things that might help the company and influence it in that way. So when your selling a asset your taking to the CEO of that company saying that it would be beneficial to sell that asset.

Also this is still sort of early so later on when your own company is fleshed out and you start as a junior broker you may not be able to do anything other than manage your team until you have more political power within your company.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 21, 2013, 04:24:49 pm »

The budget you get, is it partially coming from your 3 sub-companies?  As in the corporation takes a huge cut, before operation expenses and what is left is yours?  Needs more budget data... >.>

SB actually just put up a small explanatory video of gameplay a day or so ago: http://youtu.be/i3M9KOTPprY

Here's how I understand it:

Assets have Value. This Value starts low, goes high, then drops low again until it hits zero.

Assets are owned by Companies. Companies have Infrastructure which governs how many Assets they can hold. Companies also have Overhead.

Sum(Asset Value) - Overhead = Company Value.

Sum(Company Value) = Corporation Profit.

Your budget is Corporation Profit/2. So when you think about it, your corp is actually investing A TON of resources into you.

That's also why it's unclear to me why my budget fell when I acquired stolen assets. Could have just been timing, of owned assets depreciating in value? Maybe. (Every time though?) Since held assets aren't said to contribute their value (since they're not installed with a Company), they shouldn't have any effect on budget at all.

Which brings to me a suggestion* actually: held Assets should have value and contribute to your Corp's wealth, and their value should depreciate over time while held. This is what my brain expected when I stole my first Asset. I figured it would add, even incrementally, something to my Corporation's holdings and power.

Consider it like this. Warner Brothers acquires the rights to Predator 3, a movie/entertainment/media Asset. Hollywood is a twitter about what they will do with it, how well it will play among geriatric fans of action sci-fi movies, blah blah blah. WB's stock swells with potential value. But the Asset is shelved (perhaps because WB doesn't have enough studios with Infrastructure to handle a project like that (gamey reason) or they can't find a director (narrative justification)), and Predator 3 stays as a held Asset for a long, long time. Buzz for the movie dies down as people expect the project to never see the light of day, and the value of the movie's raw potential diminishes. By the time WB does release Predator 3: Obligatory Subtitle, its value is 1/10th of what it could have been because now people are jaded and cynical, and the internet has had a field day with Predator memes.

All held Assets should work that way IMO. If an Asset is held, it should provide like 1/10th of its undeveloped value to the corp's power rating or budget. This value depreciates at a slower rate than normal Asset depreciation. When it bottoms out, it stays there as a near worthless Asset. When the Asset IS finally implemented, it's value range is greatly diminished. (So say it's value range was 5 - 80 before, now it's 1 - 25.)

You can apply this logic to all kinds of Assets. Industrial equipment becomes crapified and outdated if it sits too long in a warehouse. Legislation carries less weight when new legislation counters or supersedes what it was going to do. Computer programs get one-up'd when they're stuck in development hell forever. Professional staff ages or loses their edge sitting around doing nothing. Trends don't take if people can only talk about them for years instead of embrace them. Where would Kickstarter be compared to IndieGoGo, had it launched now instead of when it did?

My reasoning is this: there's only one thing of value I can see right now to stealing Assets of other companies: it hurts their bottomline. Which is great. But those Assets feel dead in your hands afterward (just there to be stolen.) I get there's currently no way to expand into new markets or give held Assets to owned companies, which is what those Assets will eventually be used for. But if an Asset doesn't affect the Corp's budget until something can be done with them, I feel like you don't get a pay off for having done your job.

Sure, your Ops will get experience, but they'll spend Gear too and that will eat into your Slush Fund (once Gear actually starts costing you money.) Things could go horribly wrong too, for an Asset your Corp will just sit on with zero impact on YOUR budget. A poor risk/reward calculation. And it just feels weird that in this highly active and competitive economic simulation, these Assets which are actual things and people and ideas just go into an economic black box after disappearing from the market. Their value to the market place shouldn't become frozen simply because they're inactive. Their value is relative to when the idea/thing/product/person was hatched in the global arms race that is BUSINESS. Downtime is badtime. (My boss is a bit of an entrepreneur so I'm exposed to some of this thinking at work.)

Or, to put it another way. You can't steal the idea for a wearable prophylactic before it hits the market, then release it 30 years later after someone else came up with birth control and expect your product to take the market by storm.

There's balance reasons why you'd want this too. Player steals Assets for 4 hours real time and hoards them. Player then spends the next 4 hours deploying these Assets through new and old Companies, and their profits skyrocket, requiring them to do nothing as a broker because it's just profit from here on out. Player becomes top of the food chain and is bored.

As I understand it, held Assets will either actively or automatically be given to Companies to use right? With how fast you can run Missions vs. how fast Assets depreciate, you can basically create a Fort Knox of business ideas and always have your Companies filled to the brim. Plus Companies develop new Assets on their own, don't they? (Truly, Asset depreciation and the time skip button are what will determine game pacing from the player's perspective.) The only way you counteract hoarding held Assets being a boring and too effective strategy is to start the clock on depreciation as soon as the Asset comes into the player's hands. This prevents the player from really hoarding (and therefore trivializing) Assets because the real money is being able to deploy Assets quickly so their real value comes out. The rate of depreciation while held shouldn't be too onerous otherwise I personally would feel a little too stressed out (and would get annoyed I can't just make my Corp start a new Company and enter a new Market). But depreciation should definitely be aggressive enough that hoarding held Assets you can steal faster than you can implement is wasteful.

And that cuts to a much smaller topic I'll broach...there's got to be a reason to destroy an Asset vs. steal it. Because from an economic standpoint, I can't see one. Will Steal Missions be significantly longer/more specialized than Destroy Missions? I'd think the difference in the amount of heat generated (stealthy missions vs. guns blazing) would also be a reason to not do destroy missions. A long, quieter mission in my mind is still better than one with short-term, more leath mission with potential long-term repercussions. Destroying an Asset ultimately contributes nothing to your budget at a great deal of risk to your Operatives. So why do it?

Some random questions now that I wrote all that.

-Corporations owning more than 3 companies? Are corps going to have the equivalent of an Infrastructure rating as well? Will that be within the scope of the player's control?

-Missions other than Investigate, against Companies themselves rather their than Assets? For example, Missions to destroy their Infrastructure Rating so they're forced to sell off Assets? Hostile takeovers of Companies? (literally and otherwise)

-So all the data we can see for the other Corps at the start of the game, that's basically our current Intel on them? Does Intel on Corps depreciate just like Intel on Assets do? The concept of Intel perhaps is not explained well enough yet due to the early nature of the UI, how other corporation panels are basically identical in look to your own and still allow you to fiddle with all their buttons. At least I know what all the "[number] Corp name" stuff means now though. Personally, I don't know if I need to see that number next to the corp name everywhere. I think it'd be visually easier (maybe) if the corp name in menus was color-coded based on the "freshness" of the Intel. Gray = Old Intel, Bright White = Current Intel.

And an idea for an event that just struck me: being headhunted by a more powerful corp! Say the game can track some metric of success (perhaps each Corp expects certain growth out of the player's Corp over time, the value being based on one of the rival Corp's own internal metrics.) If the rival Corp can offer the player a higher Department budget than their current employer, it would offer the player some value between the player's current budget and the actual budget the rival Corp can support. The player could then make a counter offer, and the game could evaluate the offer and reject/accept or rebid it. And of course, the player would be able to take the Slush Fund with them ;) They'd then become of the broker of the new Corp, with all the Operatives it was using, and the player's old Corp would get a new broker, using all the player's old Operatives against them!

Hrm, now that I mention all that...should we really be able to see a Corp's power rating and income value without any Intel on them? Are there, like, government filings, financial reporting to shareohlders and tax declarations these ultramega corps have to release? Do corps have to justify the budget of their War Department to the global tax payer? I assume because of all the Intel hiding you've talked about, you're factoring this in and we can simply see everything with no Intel decay right now in the Prototype. I'm just curious what's the absolute minimum we can know about a Corp. Market Share?

*long frickin post babbling about things that may already be in the design document, or can be summed up as "balance"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:38:13 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #338 on: July 21, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »

I'm reading all your posts and they are fantastic, my wrists are just shot to hell and I'm trying to recover before monday! I'll get back to these posts soon, but they're very helpful!
Of note: bug tracker and feature request system is up!
Net Gain: Corporate Espionage.
Cyberpunk Espionage Strategy by Level Zero Games!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 21, 2013, 06:31:52 pm »

Another thought occurs to me: we need to be able to see/know the decay rate of Assets based on their type (be that Media Assets in general, (Local) Assets, Loophole Assets, what have you.) There's way too much going on/way too many kinds of Assets for the players to infer the average decay rates of stuff relative to each other UNLESS the difference in the decay rates is huge (and fast decay rates I imagine will be a problem in this.)

Perhaps a final average of the Decay Rate across all the factors, stated on the Asset. Or abstracted like "Depreciation: Mild/Average/Severe" I suppose if things that decay faster have a higher overall value (so it actually returns appreciable value before becoming worthless), we can infer that information too. But I'd still prefer something I read quickly in a list format, that isn't comparing Values of different Assets over time to figure it out.

Perhaps Assets could display their rate of decay and their current value state. (Unless that's covered by "Growth: %"?)

Also, guys that are Master of something in a school should honestly have at least a 1 in the other relevant parts of that school. So my Spy doesn't keep getting stuck with Cracking jobs. Or maybe the bonus to tests within a school isn't being properly applied/isn't implemented.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:44:39 pm by nenjin »

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 22, 2013, 10:52:26 am »

Actually, I can find a number of reasons to go on Destroy missions instead of Steal missions; most of those have something to do with less generic assets, however. To use your own example, heavy machinery might be much harder to steal, than to destroy, especially if we consider sabotage a destruction of assets (a rather reasonable assumption, I think) - tampering with complicated machinery sounds like easier way to accomplish a goal than ordering heavy duty airlifting chopper to appear in the middle of the enemy base. ;) Other reason might be getting overloaded with assets (to avoid putting too much infrastructure into companies that are expendable). Yet another might be industry competition - for example, if you are investing in railroads, you have no use in airport deed - but you are interested in there being no airport at all, or at least no major player owning it. It's just from top of my head. :) But I'm actually impressed by your post, and I agree with it mostly. :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 22, 2013, 11:03:55 am »

Sure but that's all in the realm of theory and/or imagination. There's no real easy way to compare the difficulty of steal vs. destroy missions atm.

And again, it's all about the cost benefit analysis to me. If Destroy/Sabotage Missions generate more heat and involve more lethal plots, I'm FAR less likely to destroy them when stealing them, while longer and possibly more complicated, requiring better Operatives, possibly results in fewer causalities AND puts something of economic value back in my hands. The economic motivation of acquiring more assets for use is always going to seem more worth it to me than simply depriving my competition of them. And if destroying/sabotaging assets is by necessity made easier so there's a point to doing it...that strikes me as a failing of balancing objectives.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:09:24 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 22, 2013, 01:59:04 pm »

Small thing I noticed.

I've got the game installed on a Samsung laptop, playing music while I work. And I notice whenever I load webpages, the music starts getting really choppy/static-y/pop-y. I can't imagine what resources the two are using together other than memory, but I figured I'd mention it. Doesn't seem to do it with your average forum page, but loading CNN it starts crackling like a SOB.

Maybe it's one of the media plug-ins both the game and the site use.

Huh. And now it stopped doing it. Oh well, probably just my crappy laptop + Firefox + a bazillion open tabs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:52:10 pm by nenjin »

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #343 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31:02 am »

Birthday Build is live! Catch a video recap of the new build content. This isn't the next BIG build, just a lil' timely bump!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:30:23 pm by sparkbolt »

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #344 on: July 25, 2013, 11:21:27 am »

Nenjin, et al, maybe we could do a community google hangouts thing where I can go through forum stuff and field some questions? save my wrists and be a bit more face-to-face :)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35