Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 29607 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »

I honestly miss that kind of music... heck just good music themes in general.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

When I was playing STO, after a lot of episodes, you get abducted and forced to fight in an arena... guess what music plays.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »

When I was playing STO, after a lot of episodes, you get abducted and forced to fight in an arena... guess what music plays.

The theme to Hannah Montana?

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2013, 02:18:11 am »

I voted for enterprise as the worst trek show. The theme song, the utterly unlikeable captain, unrelateable crew, the utterly, insanely bad writing, the utter inability to grasp trek aesthetics-mechanic coveralls for uniforms, a modified Akira-class model used for the enterprise, naming the ship 'enterprise' at all. And of course, the wierd, out of place, and rather creepy fanservice. I can still remember all of the Sci-Fi channel ads with the Orion girl saying "I'll gladly do what you say" and Naked T'pol etc-really awful, IMO. Speaking of T'Pol, what's up with Brannon Braga taking unemotional, stoic women who by all means should be if anything asexual, and sexing them up? First Seven of Nine (seriously, a Borg?!?) and now a Vulcan? We should count our lucky stars he wasn't in charge during TNG, or Data might have ended up looking like that sexbot from Mass Effect 3.

Well, that's my Least favorite show, Voyager might have been bad Trek IMO, but at least it felt like Trek, Enterprise didn't really have the benefit in my eyes of being able to draw off a pre-established popular trek-era like Voyager did with TNG/DS9, and didn't have the benefit of being good, either.

Well, that's shows, how about movies? Favorite and least favorite? My personal favorite has to be ST VI: The Undiscovered Country. It had a lot to like, memorable villains like Valeris and Chang+his prototype bird of prey, a bunch of different environments such as Rura Penthe, a plot that didn't involve earth being threatened with a doomsday weapon, Someone besides Kirk gettign to pilot a spaceship (Sulu) and a resolution that was semi-uplifting, with the implied coming age of improved cooperation between the Federation and the Klingons. My one and only gripe with the movie was the Mind-Meld Scene with Valeris and Spock-it was very rapey in nature and was very creepy IMO, and left a sour taste in my mouth.

My least favorite would have to be Nemesis. Whiel I really, *really* do not like nuTrek, it takes place almost completely in an alternate dimension, which makes it easier to ignore in my head. Admittedly, they both screwed over the Romulans, one of my favorite factions in the franchise, and nuTrek did it worse-blowing up their homeworld and retconning the rommies into wierd bald, tatooed freaks. Nemesis however, screwed up the Romulans first, and a Romulan Empire blown up in nuTrek is one already completely defanged and humiliated in Nemesis by one of the worst villains I have seen in a movie period, much less in Trek. Not only that, but for a movie supposedly all about the Romulans, it has the Romulans as background characters at best, chumps at worst. It's really hard to take the Romulans seriously after Nemesis, and it not only put the nail in the coffin of the TNG era, but also put a nail in the coffin of what was probably the one remaining TNG era 'villain' faction of any real importance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:12 am »

First Seven of Nine (seriously, a Borg?!?)

Honestly I am SOOO happy I was spared realising any sort of sex appeal happening.

Heck even now I don't see Catsuits as sexy. In fact I would outright call you out on saying that thick skintight jumpers look more like pajamas then a sexy outfit.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2013, 02:44:02 am »

First Seven of Nine (seriously, a Borg?!?)

Honestly I am SOOO happy I was spared realising any sort of sex appeal happening.

Heck even now I don't see Catsuits as sexy. In fact I would outright call you out on saying that thick skintight jumpers look more like pajamas then a sexy outfit.

When I told a friend of mine I disliked Voyager - who happens to own (at least I think) TNG, Boyage and DS9 on DVD - he told me "Seriously? What about Seven?"

I am a Trekkie but haven't seen enough of any one series to be able to make an informed decision like catoblepas. However what I can say is that if Voyager and DS9 weren't made until later, perhaps TNG would have continued.
What about the Prime Directive with Janeway and Picard (how do they approach it)? I'd like to hear what you guys think of that first before commenting about it.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2013, 02:54:35 am »

I like the idea of the Prime Dirrective, afterall an all powerful organisation that is built upon doing good (to simplify) it would need a set of guidelines that says what it can and cannot do to another race.

As for Janeway there are some things I agree and disagree with people in interpreting what she does.

For example one episode Janeway refuses to give a race a replicator that can only create water. People complain but honestly I think they are wrong in this case. Them finding a way to replicate the technology to create very real replicators (for a race that is no where close to that tech) is not only very possible but something I am sure would have happened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2013, 03:02:01 am »

Actually BJB, Deep-Space 9 and The Next Generation were concurrent for a while, and they had a lot of crossover episodes and shared characters. I think that's what forced them to establish such different themes. TNG had their mission of exploration and discovery, where they went in nacels blazing to stop the space anomaly du jour, or thwart some plot or other. DS9 meanwhile explores what happens after ships like the Enterprise pop in and out, where the common people and officers left behind have to rebuild, keep the peace, and learn to live with each other.

Dangit, I think I've gone full DS9 fanboy. I'mma go lay down and fall asleep to some more ornery Odo.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2013, 03:09:46 am »

TNG was stopped so they could usher in more DS9 and Voyager; but more Voyager more than DS9. At least that's what I have read/been led to believe.
Yeah TNG and DS9 did crossover quite a bit; I even recently saw a crossover Voyager episode where the Doctor and that really unstable guy (I can't remember names atm) were the secondary focus of the episode, the main focus was contacting Voyager.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:55 am »

that really unstable guy (I can't remember names atm)

You must be speaking of Lt.Broccoli.

BARCLAY. I MEANT BARCLAY.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2013, 03:49:59 am »

Yep - the guy that has ALL THE PROBLEMS...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:49 am »

How can you not like the Enterprise theme song? If it's good enough for Patch Adams, surely it's good enough for an intergalactic epic, no?

Also, catsuits aren't sexy, but anyone can tell Beavis & Butthead have a fetish for big boobed women in skintight pajamas.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »

How can you not like the Enterprise theme song? If it's good enough for Patch Adams, surely it's good enough for an intergalactic epic, no?

Also, catsuits aren't sexy, but anyone can tell Beavis & Butthead have a fetish for big boobed women in skintight pajamas.

The only Enterprise theme I even remotely enjoyed was from "In a Mirror Darkly". Love all the explosions.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2013, 10:15:32 am »

Does anyone remember the title of the TOS episode with the stars-shaped creatures that flew around the city and controlled people?  It's completely slipped my mind.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:23 am »

Does anyone remember the title of the TOS episode with the stars-shaped creatures that flew around the city and controlled people?  It's completely slipped my mind.

This one?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26